.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

270quest

WKR
So my very recoil sensitive daughter who just turned 10, drew an antelope tag here in Idaho and feels way more comfortable with the 18” AR then the 243 we built for her. She is really just learning to shoot and I haven’t had time to create reduced practice loads for her….

So I acquired some black hills 77TMK factory ammo and sighted it in and shot it over the chronograph. 10 rounds averaged 2720 FPS from the little 18” barrel.

She is able to consistently hit an 8” gong out to about 200 yards with this little rifle - I think if she does her job - she will kill an antelope next month.

woods89

WKR
I'd greatly appreciate sources for this.
Jim Heffelfinger has in interesting article in Deer&Deer hunting (last November, I think?) on this subject. Don't ask me to link it as I'm not sure how, lol! Search "Jim Heffelfinger lead bullet" and it should pop up.

I haven't seen anything about jacketed lead bullets that scares me. I'm much more bothered by Doritos and soda. To each his own, though.

Sorry to divert away from lead acetate/chemistry/copper/etc 😂. But I have 62 gr federal fusions and 75gr eldm. I plan on using these on SE whitetail and range practice. Which would be better for Whitetail deer hunting? I know 77 TMKs would be better but that’s not an option for me at the moment.
I can't speak for the match bullet, but the Fusion is a decidedly good killer. Expect pass throughs on broadside shots. Wrecked innards. Tough enough to bust bone and make it to vitals.

TxxAgg

WKR
Jim Heffelfinger has in interesting article in Deer&Deer hunting (last November, I think?) on this subject. Don't ask me to link it as I'm not sure how, lol! Search "Jim Heffelfinger lead bullet" and it should pop up.

I haven't seen anything about jacketed lead bullets that scares me. I'm much more bothered by Doritos and soda. To each his own, though.
Here you go:

ElPollo

WKR
Great article. Jim did an excellent job of presenting the facts and the context. Can’t believe I missed this one when it came out last year. Thanks.

Last edited:

Hthunter

FNG
I can't speak for the match bullet, but the Fusion is a decidedly good killer. Expect pass throughs on broadside shots. Wrecked innards. Tough enough to bust bone and make it to vitals.
Thanks. I’ve used fusions bf in 300 wsm and it was pretty devastating. I figure I’ll try both and test results on a couple does first.

260madman

WKR
As far as ingesting lead I wouldn’t worry about it. I have a .177 pointed pellet in my hand for the last 33 years and have no issues. Dumb stuff as kids. Docs wouldn’t operate on it to get it out. Surgeon said just leave it like they did in the Civil War. So they did. The weight of that pellet is probably more than the weight of lead an average Hunter would ingest over a lifetime.

Tod osier

WKR
As far as ingesting lead I wouldn’t worry about it. I have a .177 pointed pellet in my hand for the last 33 years and have no issues. Dumb stuff as kids. Docs wouldn’t operate on it to get it out. Surgeon said just leave it like they did in the Civil War. So they did. The weight of that pellet is probably more than the weight of lead an average Hunter would ingest over a lifetime.

It is a common medical practice to leave bullets in place, the thought is that removal can be more damaging than leaving it there. It also depends on the tissue the bullet is buried in. A bullet within muscle is considered low risk because there are not appropriate conditions for dissolving the lead (unlike the acidic conditions in a mammal digestive system or with the mechanical grinding within a bird gizzard).

People carrying retained bullets absolutely can have elevated blood levels due to retained bullets and there are extensive studies documenting that. If you don't have one done every few years, think about a blood test at some point.

260madman

WKR
I ordered from Midsouth last week and Midway last night. Let’s see which one gets here first. I’m betting Midway delivers first.

Lawnboi

WKR
I ordered from Midsouth last week and Midway last night. Let’s see which one gets here first. I’m betting Midway delivers first.
What’s worth more, waiting an extra few days or picking every bullet out of a bubble mailer cause the box broke?

Joking aside seems like mid south packages things halfway decent. Midway depends highly on the bubble envelopes

260madman

WKR
What’s worth more, waiting an extra few days or picking every bullet out of a bubble mailer cause the box broke?

Joking aside seems like mid south packages things halfway decent. Midway depends highly on the bubble envelopes
Haven’t had an issue with either in the past. I haven’t ordered bullets from midway in quite a while though so we will see.

Oh, what’s in my inbox? UPS notification it has shipped from Midway and will be here Thursday. Evidently they weren’t hit with Rice Rabies like Midsouth was. At least I’ll have them and can load some up Thursday night/Friday morning and get some trigger time this weekend. I want my daughter to use these for youth season. Things are “interesting” for deer in the fields right now.

260madman

WKR
Aaaand Midsouth sent shipping notification late last night. Will be here Friday. UPS vs FedEx, who will deliver with the least amount of damage? I might lose sleep over this. No, no I won’t.

260madman

WKR
I plopped my butt in my old camp chair that I use in my blind and shot a 1.5” group at 126 yards. Used Form’s XBR load in a 18” AR (first upper I ever put together). I should use a bench but they aren’t available in the field. Butts and elbows for the win.

5A3A573C-DD40-4359-91FE-308570C89137.jpeg

Field bench rest.
B08EB2A6-09F9-4552-9E3D-5F231AB55CC5.jpeg
Target is still out in the field because my daughter may want to go back and hit some steel a little farther out.