.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

h2so4

WKR
I’ve got some Black Hills 5.56 77gr TMK and 308 168gr TMK if anyone is looking.

Last edited:

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely could have gotten by with the 223. Buddy with a buck tag carried a spotter so all was well. I’m pretty careful though when I’m shooting mulie does, super easy to not catch a spike in there at 300 yards when everything is brown. Learned that lesson the hard way. I did zoom to 25x to confirm my last doe.

Terminal performance I’d give to the tmk though, wish I would have had it.
Sounds like you need to jump on Prime‘s next group buy if you don’t want to load your own (assuming they will keep loading the 130 TMK).

One of these days I might even get out in the woods with that combo…

Lawnboi

WKR
Sounds like you need to jump on Prime‘s next group buy if you don’t want to load your own (assuming they will keep loading the 130 TMK).

One of these days I might even get out in the woods with that combo…
Iv got all I need to load my own I just need to find some 130 and 107 TMK. They are in my list of crap to buy in bulk when I find it.

I've requested email notification for 130s from every vendor I can find. Tom Petty was right about the waiting being difficult
Iv got all I need to load my own I just need to find some 130 and 107 TMK. They are in my list of crap to buy in bulk when I find it.

Lawnboi

WKR
Elusive xbr in stock, 2lb limit makes hazmat hurt though!

Well you all convinced me to try it out! 77 TMK with 21.5 grains of IMR 4064 loaded to 2.260 out of a 16" AR. Shot was broadside at about 60 yards. Hit a rib on the way in behind the shoulder, smoked the heart and some lungs, hit a rib on the way out, and exited. Deer made a 20 yard sprint before collapsing dead. I was already impressed by all the pictures posted here and now I've seen it in person. I don't see any reason to shoot deer with anything else when I can drop them quick and lose minimal meat with 77 TMKs.
2080a4087a8bec6396183b7f497e6a19.jpg
469776678ea5bfa5460b8b924d8557a6.jpg
e05f535c27ef87075ae187aadb242636.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Fantastic performance and thanks for sharing!

Wouldn’t steer you wrong on this!

So much GREAT information and first hand experience graciously shared by others that facilitated the start of this thread thread.

The thread has continued thanks to others with an open mind willing to give the combination a chance.

It’s contrary to what I thought I knew and what you read across the forums on a daily basis, however…the results speak for themselves. The performance is remarkable and often needs to be experienced first hand to be believed.

I do not believe there is a better combination for big game inside of 450 yds. Period.

I was once confidently in the crowd of people that believed 223 was too small to reliably take anything bigger than coyotes. Reading though this thread and seeing the mountain of evidence contrary to that was very eye opening. It really made me realize that bullet selection and placement matters far more than any energy numbers or bullet diameter.

I cannot fathom how a person could read this thread and see all the pictures and still honestly say that the 77 TMK is not up to the task of efficiently taking down big game. The people who do have either; not actually read or comprehended the text posts, not looked at the pictures, or are so stubborn and unwilling to learn that no amount of words, pictures, studies, or anything will ever change their mind. Unfortunately for them, they are the ones missing out. As for me, I see many rounds of 77 TMK in my future.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LimeSpoon

FNG
Do awfully hate to ask, but it looks like I missed out on some of those sales and I'm planning a hog hunt in the next month. If anyone's willing to quote me a price on some Black Hills or 8208...and I live in the Cstat area, if there's anyone local.

Now, I know this is just some more pole-vaulting over mouse turds, but I'm thinking of trying to build up a ladder to 23.8 gr of 8208XBR loaded to 2.26" OAL. Will be fired in a 5.56 chamber. Any estimates as to velocity out of a 16" barrel with a 23.8 gr charge? Worries about overpressure? Anyone observe any horizontal (or substantial vertical) POI shift with 8208 handloads as compared to the Black Hills stuff? Not terribly interested in rezeroing my scope every time I switch between the two.

Do awfully hate to ask, but it looks like I missed out on some of those sales and I'm planning a hog hunt in the next month. If anyone's willing to quote me a price on some Black Hills or 8208...and I live in the Cstat area, if there's anyone local.

Now, I know this is just some more pole-vaulting over mouse turds, but I'm thinking of trying to build up a ladder to 23.8 gr of 8208XBR loaded to 2.26" OAL. Will be fired in a 5.56 chamber. Any estimates as to velocity out of a 16" barrel with a 23.8 gr charge? Worries about overpressure? Anyone observe any horizontal (or substantial vertical) POI shift with 8208 handloads as compared to the Black Hills stuff? Not terribly interested in rezeroing my scope every time I switch between the two.
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/load-development-my-method.238981/#post-2335181
I wouldn’t waste time doing a ladder
I would load a handful and see what they do

260madman

WKR
Just load the 23.7 and shoot. I shot 3 round .75” yesterday on my lightweight AR with Criterion barrel. Shot from a bench with my pack underneath it. I should have shot a couple of 10 round groups but I didn’t want to reload anymore because Saturday is the day and I have to load some 260Rem for my wife’s rifle. That’s the third AR I’ve shot them from and the first time from a bench, they all shoot well.

I shot my 10.5” AR the same way yesterday and it shot 3 different bullet types to the same POI at 100 yards. Simple Zeiss V4 1-4 Scope on top, my HD gun. I may get to post a pic with a dead critter from that one using 60gr NBTs. I have a long time to shoot doe this year and plan on taking a few.

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
Yep, I followed advice here actually ordered from unknown munitions exactly the form special, 23.7.

I’m doing 12 shot zeros all the time, good practice in field positions. 223 doesn’t seem picky.

funny, many 4 shot clips I have 1/4” groups but by time I shot 3 clips consecutive by group was 1.25”. Damn form 😊

Load or buy it, shoot for solid zero, go kill

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved

code “RTC” gets you a discount