.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

SouthPaw

WKR
I don't shoot many groups at 100 with my 223 but I swapped scopes so I shot a five shot group before I moved zero. I have a 1031 shots down the pipe, zero cleaning. Easy money!

Tikka T3X cut down to 20"
88 TMKs loaded by unknown munitions.

6222fbbc174bc79b5faef074bfb224dd.jpg

ae5276d902b1ef54facae30fd018ab53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Blasphemy! 88tmks dont exist and the tikka homers say monte carlo stocks cant shoot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Blasphemy! 88tmks dont exist and the tikka homers say monte carlo stocks cant shoot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I bought the bullets from a link off to this thread and truth be told I would ditch this stock in a second if I could get an Allterra or Gunwerks Clymer stock for it.

woods89

WKR
I don't shoot many groups at 100 with my 223 but I swapped scopes so I shot a five shot group before I moved zero. I have a 1031 shots down the pipe, zero cleaning. Easy money!

Are you going to kill something with it this fall?

Been a number of moose hunts in Ontario...primarily bow hunts but a few rifle. My two observations based on common shooting ranges are this.

1. The local tribal members tend to lean towards the 30-30 or something in that line. Note the typical shot can easily be a bow range shot so that round works fine. That said I'm not sure how comfy I would be with a .223 at close range turning into pepper against a rib or shoulder. He might just look at ya funny?

2. We do almost all of our calling on lakes or cuts so you often have a 300 yard shot if you want it. No .223 round is going to perform well at that distance against that animal.

So...if your paying for a hunt I would want the ability to reach out and touch someone with emphasis. And that's not a 223. If you are fine working him into 70-100 yards then the .223 would work fine I guess. (Note...don't know the ON minimum for caliber on the forest cow.)
This thread is a trick, because conventional wisdom would give your reply merit, but if you take the time to read it all, you will see conventional wisdom isn’t very wise😉

I will take the side of page after page of impressive and destructive real world results vs my feelings, your feelings, or the feelings of anyone who has no actual real world experience in the subject at hand.

There have been a lot of people who have argued on this thread until they are red in the face that a .223 is not enough and even irresponsible for big critters, and they are trusting their inexperienced feelings vs actual real world… not just a couple examples either, but page after page, after page of wound channels that look like they were made by a big magnum… it’s a setup, and I was wrong when I started into this thread (not vocally, just my quiet opinion)

If nothing else, this thread is a great tutorial on bullet performance, it can be applied to many cartridges… this thread made me understand why match bullets are so effective in their niche, and I grew an understanding on picking the right bullet for the task at hand.

I think this is the most informative text I have read on any forum or website, and I don’t even currently own a.223

If you are set in your ways based on feelings, you may not agree, but reading with an open mind, understanding people are talking about real world results rather than specs on paper and feelings, this thread is a gold mine of information that can be applied outside of the .223, and more so, the .223

You sound a bit confused, I don’t believe that ammunition is available

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Well shit... as per my post above I'm married and I run an adult daycare center disguised as a forum so I have to drunk forum sometimes and my fingers get heavy.

ae3326216b45b47fa559bf78ec7c1930.jpg

88 grainers would be cool though....

Last edited: