.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

aschuler

FNG
I loaded some 75gr eldm’s at mag length and accuracy wasn’t even close when compared to the rounds that were longer.
Same here.
I shoot the 75 eldm in my Tikka with a COAL of 2.420, and they're very consistent at that length. I use a modified 6 round mag.

I had a 1:8 223ai worked great with 75 berger vld and the 77 matchking. 25.5g varget gave 2900fps from a 20" barrel
Cfe 223 was over 3,000 fps but harder to find than varget
Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Was your AI a tikka and how did it feed?

I'm tempted to rebarrel my tikka and have waffled back and forth between going AI or not.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Possibly a dumb question. ... can you load 75gr eld-m to fit in a factory tikka mag? They are the only thing I have available to me here locally that are reasonably priced. I've found exactly one source for 77 tmk's here in Canada but they will be close to $80/100 by the time they get to me so not exactly conducive to volume practice. Thanks.
Get a mountain tactical mag (fits in factory bottom metal). You can go out to 2.6" with them. You should be in the 2.4"-2.45" range in a Tikka with the 75 eld-m.

amassi

WKR
Was your AI a tikka and how did it feed?

I'm tempted to rebarrel my tikka and have waffled back and forth between going AI or not.
Wby vanguard and fed fine from the factory mag as well as the plastic howa bottom metal and mags. Tikka ought to do even better

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Juan_ID

WKR
Finally getting around to loading some tmk’s, just did a ladder test for starters but they seem less finnicky than the 75gr eldm’s which is nice 1B6F3E91-D323-4562-8417-A25D2ADDB915.jpeg

Last edited:

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 367282
According to Hornady, the 73 eldm and the 75 bthp will be fine loaded at mag length. The 75 eldm and amax are designed to be longer.
Hope this helps!
Ryan
What is mag length on a Tikka magazine? Is it longer than an AR mag? I have AICS mags and bottom metal on my Tikka Varmint and I load the 75gr ELDM at almost 2.50" COAL. I know Mountaing Tactical makes a billet replacement magazine for Tikka rifles, but I am not sure what the COAL is.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
What is mag length on a Tikka magazine? Is it longer than an AR mag? I have AICS mags and bottom metal on my Tikka Varmint and I load the 75gr ELDM at almost 2.50" COAL. I know Mountaing Tactical makes a billet replacement magazine for Tikka rifles, but I am not sure what the COAL is.
Tikka 223 factory mags are about 2.300" internal. I do load the 77 TMK to that length with compressed powders like Varget in order to stuff more powder in the case.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
2.6" for the mountain tactical mags

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Can you provide a link? Would love to buy some...I see only .308 and 30-06 based cartridge magazines
Just looked and they are no longer on mountain tactical's website. You may want to jump on this:

I ordered one from jaoutdoors.com last month but they now show out of stock.