.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

BLJ

WKR
I know tikka’s are number one but what’s the common thought on the ruger American predator 223?

I have the RA Ranch. ADI 69 Sierra BTHP Match put 5 under an inch at 100 off of bipods and a rear bag. 10 round Magpuls AR mags have been stone reliable.

BLJ

WKR
Anything in particular to watch out for? I’m at about 300 rounds with mine and I’ve dry fired around twice that. I’d like to know what to look for. Thanks.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought an Arken SH4 4-16, should be here today actually to put on top of my Ruger American Predator 223. I called ruger today about the AICS magwell conversion. It's $26 so I may do that down the road. Just got the gun last week so once i get the optic on and such I will be running thru some Hornady Frontier 68 grain HPBT factory ammo and then working up a load with the 73 ELDMs. Looking forward to it! I cleand the action really well and oiled the bolt, gotta say it's pretty dang smooth. not as smooth as my bergara but im really liking it so far. Hope it shooots well lol.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Anything in particular to watch out for? I’m at about 300 rounds with mine and I’ve dry fired around twice that. I’d like to know what to look for. Thanks.

Just overall reliability of used hard. Small parts breakages on some, stocks are hot garbage, triggers are compromised, etc.

The rifles are certainly usable for most people and their uses, but whereas the T3x is a very good rifle in any comparison, the American is a cheap rifle that is semi decent. To try and correct those deficiencies is more costly than ones that don’t have them, and you still can not fix all or most.

BLJ

WKR
I’ll agree on the stocks. No argument there. But beyond that, I’ve never read of issues with small parts or trigger issues. I have 4 centerfires and 3 rimfires and have yet to have an issue. Do you have links where I could look into this a little more? Id like to be able to notice the signs. Thanks.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ll agree on the stocks. No argument there. But beyond that, I’ve never read of issues with small parts or trigger issues. I have 4 centerfires and 3 rimfires and have yet to have an issue. Do you have links where I could look into this a little more? Id like to be able to notice the signs. Thanks.

Just generally Google “problems with Rugar Americans”.

I am not sayin that you will have problems, I am saying that in seeing them used heavily- problems are not uncommon.

BLJ

WKR
I tried the “problems with Ruger Americans”. A lot of rotary mag issues. Creepy triggers. And stocks, like mentioned before.
Maybe I’ll try some different searches later to come up with something. I’d like to have parts on hand so I’m not down. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Deywalker

FNG
Just overall reliability of used hard. Small parts breakages on some, stocks are hot garbage, triggers are compromised, etc.

The rifles are certainly usable for most people and their uses, but whereas the T3x is a very good rifle in any comparison, the American is a cheap rifle that is semi decent. To try and correct those deficiencies is more costly than ones that don’t have them, and you still can not fix all or most.
Out of curiosity, do you have a standardized way to simulate harsh conditions? We had a -8° F night not too long ago and I wanted to see how my Tikka would hold up to getting wet and being left out to freeze. That was obviously a bit too much because every moving part was frozen stuck.

Lawnboi

WKR
Out of curiosity, do you have a standardized way to simulate harsh conditions? We had a -8° F night not too long ago and I wanted to see how my Tikka would hold up to getting wet and being left out to freeze. That was obviously a bit too much because every moving part was frozen stuck.
A couple buddies who didn’t have action covers froze their tikkas on a hunt this year. Hard rain and dust prior to freezing too. Both of their bolts were frozen shut at the end of the day. Spent a couple hours next to the stove. The one that got shot on animals went boom just fine.

We are lucky to have some shit weather here, Iv had my tikka out in -20 f with no issues. Not form but I figured I’d throw in my experience.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

With enough frozen water, they all will stop guns at some point.

However: below 20°, 8oz of water poured all over and in the action and trigger, whole thing dropped in snow, then stood up over night. This isn’t supposed to be representative of anything, except maybe the worst case- it’s meant to show differences between actions and triggers.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Could always rebarrel, if slinging heavies is your goal. The 1-12 certainly will not be up to spinning them. What is the action?

55 grain gold dots would be my preference, but there are a variety of effective deer killing bullets that should work with your 1-12 twist. They won't have as attractive BC's but they will get the job done.
Can’t be done, it’s a handi rifle single shot , old ranch yo man

Deywalker

FNG
A couple buddies who didn’t have action covers froze their tikkas on a hunt this year. Hard rain and dust prior to freezing too. Both of their bolts were frozen shut at the end of the day. Spent a couple hours next to the stove. The one that got shot on animals went boom just fine.

We are lucky to have some shit weather here, Iv had my tikka out in -20 f with no issues. Not form but I figured I’d throw in my experience.
What mine went through wasn't nearly as rough as that sounds, but it was back in working order in about 30 minutes of being brought inside. Thanks for the info!

With enough frozen water, they all will stop guns at some point.

However: below 20°, 8oz of water poured all over and in the action and trigger, whole thing dropped in snow, then stood up over night. This isn’t supposed to be representative of anything, except maybe the worst case- it’s meant to show differences between actions and triggers.
While I didn't leave it out overnight, I don't think it had any real chance the way I did it. I poured about 12-16 ounces on the action, and then about 8 ounces more just into the trigger. Then left it on its side, bolt handle up, in snow just long enough for all the water to freeze. Do you know if anyone's ever documented a head to head bolt action rifle reliability test that's publicly available? I've tried finding the Canadian ranger test with no luck.

260madman

WKR
Canadian Ranger Test???
Well ya see, you take Maple syrup and pour it all over the rifle and then you leave it outside overnight in the freezing cold. Next morning you get some beer and pour over the frozen rifle to thaw the rifle out and shoot it. Sounds like a good test, eh? When you’re done you drive down to Tim Horton’s for some poutine to share with your dog Hosehead.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the “problems with Ruger Americans”. A lot of rotary mag issues. Creepy triggers. And stocks, like mentioned before.
Maybe I’ll try some different searches later to come up with something. I’d like to have parts on hand so I’m not down. Thanks again.
I am not expecting much, I know of several of these being used without issues so far.

That being said, I know the Tikka is a better rifle overall.
For a serious hunt out West I will take one of my old M700's, they seem to hold up well.

BLJ

WKR
@Nomosendero. Agreed on the Tikka. They are for sure a fine rifle. I just thought I was missing something about the Americans since I’ve had nothing but great performance so far.

amassi

WKR
Canadian Ranger Test???
Canadian rangers are a sort of reserve paramilitary that is eyes and ears on Canada's norther fringes. They are issued rifles for defense and sustenance. They've been using Lee Enfields but we're recently replaced with tikka arctic. Rifles that were tested needed to function in -50c

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk