.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

fshaw

WKR
I’ve been looking for a couple hundred, or what I can get, Speer 75gr Gold Dots. Have scoured the internet. If anyone sees any available anywhere, or have any they’d part with, please PM me. I have some 62gr Gold Dots but am looking for the heavier bullet. Thanks.

Tikka 223’s are pretty scarce. Are there any other good options?

Ruger American’s are no go for me. Alright specs on paper but terrible quality. I have two friends that got them. One shot lights out but had a horribly sticky bolt. The other’s stock was misshapen and pressed on one side of the “free floating” barrel.

Tmac

WKR
Tikka 223’s are pretty scarce. Are there any other good options?

Ruger American’s are no go for me. Alright specs on paper but terrible quality. I have two friends that got them. One shot lights out but had a horribly sticky bolt. The other’s stock was misshapen and pressed on one side of the “free floating” barrel.
You might want to take a look at Howa.

Tmac

WKR
Make sure and verify, but I believe they now offer a 1 in 8. Used to offer a slow twist, so there could be several options. Believe Legacy Sports is the importer, so it should be in here. https://www.legacysports.com/

My last one was a mini action in 6.5G. I bought the barreled action from Brownells and put it in a MDT LSS. Been a nice rig. The trigger is OK and believe you can get a spring, much like a Tikka, to drop it into the 1.5lb range.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone using CFE223, H335, or H4895 with the 69 TGK or the 77 TGK. I don't have any 8208 anymore. I want to load both at AR mag length for my 18" and 10.5" AR rifle and pistol.
I'm using 26gr. Of CFE223 under 69gr Nosler CC, CCI primers, mil brass.

BLJ

WKR

States .223 is 1-8" on there site for the mini action.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my ruger predator 223 setup. Went with the arken 4-16. Pretty sweet setup. Depending on how it shoots it may be my new favorite rifle. 8476B9DB-5266-43E0-9D93-F2259B06C1CF.jpeg80E9BABE-5F76-43FA-8E13-EFEEFA1BA957.jpeg

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
The RAR Predator I bought had the barrel touching the forearm on one side. It took 15 minutes with a rasp to cure that, it is not as though I had to worry about "wood to metal fit". The bedding block works.

The RAR Predator I bought had the barrel touching the forearm on one side. It took 15 minutes with a rasp to cure that, it is not as though I had to worry about "wood to metal fit". The bedding block works.
It can be fixed, but why buy a gun that’s good once you do the QC that the factory should’ve done and possibly void your warranty in the process. If they missed something you can see plain as day on the rack what other problems might be hiding?

A Tikka is a couple hundred more and has a solid design and quality. Possibly the Howa too, still looking into that one.

For the record I’m not a Ruger hater, just disappointed with what I’ve seen from the RAR

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
It can be fixed, but why buy a gun that’s good once you do the QC that the factory should’ve done and possibly void your warranty in the process. If they missed something you can see plain as day on the rack what other problems might be hiding?

A Tikka is a couple hundred more and has a solid design and quality. Possibly the Howa too, still looking into that one.

For the record I’m not a Ruger hater, just disappointed with what I’ve seen from the RAR
What I did would be hard to see the way I did it, I don't see it voiding the warranty. Ruger, Tikka, whatever, I pull the barreled action anyway to adjust the trigger and inspect everything, so no hassle on my end.

I said earlier the Tikka is a better rifle, but for the purpose of this back up rifle, not so much and when I bought it the difference was a good deal more than 200.00.

I some cases now the difference is 200.00 and in that case I would lean Tikka.

First post here, hope it's formatted correctly.. Performance from Federal Fusion 62gr factory loads until I can find 77 TMKs. 115 yards, 30ft decline, 18" barrel. 40 yard death run. Great blood trail from the shot all the way to the doe.

View attachment 372674View attachment 372675View attachment 372676
We killed 5 deer total this year with that load, and all died very quickly, but we had zero blood trail. On all five deer I had to poke my finger around to find the entrance......no blood on the outside of the deer. Some did exit, but same thing.....couldnt find it without poking my finger around to find it.

fshaw

WKR
I'm surprised at the small exits at that range. I'm trying to find a bullet that will provide a reasonable blood trail for shots under 100 yards, often 50 yards or less, but still do significant internal damage. I've seen 2 deer killed with the 77TMK and 1 with the 64gr BSB this past season. Both TMk shots were less than 50 yards, one completely broadside hit tight behind the shoulder, and no exit on either. The 64 BSB was quartering toward at about 30 yards on a smaller to average buck, shot tight behind the front shoulder to save meat, no exit. All 3 deer died rapidly, 2 went less than than 30-35 yards, the 3rd (a spike horn with 77TMK collapsed at the shot. No complaints about bullet performance for any of the 3 but I hunt in big woods forest and would like the insurance of a blood trail if at all possible. Looking at the 70gr Accubond and 75 gr Gold Dot now (if I can find them). If not I'll stay with the 77gr TMK. I saw a big doe shot during late muzzle loader season with a 250gr T.C. Shockwave at about 40 yards in through one shoulder and out tight behind the off shoulder. Deer went about 75 yards leaving a blood trail that was shocking, probably because I've been hunting with .223s and a 6x45. That doe went further than the 3 bucks combined one of which was a good sized 8pt. I have some 62gr TTSX but will try them after snow is on.