.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Lawnboi

WKR
But where are they getting the 77gr tmks from? That's the piece of all this I can't figure out. So, I'm thinking about just doing a prefix for 22 creed to run 88 eldms out of my current tikka action/stock since eldms seem to pop up more frequently.
Or just shoot 75eldm while you wait?

The beauty of 223 is it’s dirt cheap to load.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Little tip to aid in smoother seating. Little imperial on a big q tip spun on the chamfer before seating, that or if your using a mandrel the same prior to running the mandrel down.

1st firing on the Lapua?
I don’t seem to have much issue with seating? And this is the third firing on the lapua

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I saw the rings and figured you had some pressure seating. But it’s only happened to me first seating on Lapua
Gotchya, it only seems to happen when I’m seating deeper and compressing the load. I was trying ar length on 5 just to see how they shot. The hornady stem I have leaves a slight ring but it seems to be mostly cosmetic. 🤷‍♂️

Lawnboi

WKR
Gotchya, it only seems to happen when I’m seating deeper and compressing the load. I was trying ar length on 5 just to see how they shot. The hornady stem I have leaves a slight ring but it seems to be mostly cosmetic. 🤷‍♂️
I see, that happens to me too when I have compressed too much. I try to avoid it as I got some inconsistent seating with that much compression.

FLS

WKR
75 ELDMs work well on game. I’m using them for deer on nuisance permits here in SC. I had to seating them long in my CTR to get them to shoot, but once I found the the jump they wanted, they shoot very well. Im using modified accurate mags, so I don’t know if they would fit in the factory CTR or Tikka mags.

SouthPaw

WKR
75 ELDMs work well on game. I’m using them for deer on nuisance permits here in SC. I had to seating them long in my CTR to get them to shoot, but once I found the the jump they wanted, they shoot very well. Im using modified accurate mags, so I don’t know if they would fit in the factory CTR or Tikka mags.
I loaded the 75eldm to 2.424 OAL which was .010 off the lands in my CTR 223. This fit easily in the CTR mag which I think can take 2.55 OAL. However my rifle didn't like the 75s and much prefers the 73eldm and 77tmk.

amassi

WKR
Shameless plug
I have a lightweight turn key tmk delivery system with brass and 200 77tmks ready to roll in tje classifieds right now.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

88 pages is a time vampire.
it really is time well spent if you are looking at a computer...... way more valuable than most time spent looking at a computer/phone, don't have to read it all at once, but nobody could give you a cliff notes version that compares to reading all of the great info (both on topic and off topic) yourself.

like i have said before, it's the most information rich topic i have ever read on the internet.... no close second i can think of.... doesn't only apply to the .223 either, just a ton of great overall information on ballistics, a huge collaboration of great first hand experience with many good side tangents..... you would likely disagree if you were one of the naysayers arguing feelings vs other's real world results, haha..... so there is some comedy mixed in too.... seriously a great thread worth reading in it's entirety....

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
OP: "I'm going to use this bullet in a caliber that many think is sub standard to kill big shit."

13 people: "You can't do that, it's too small, conventional wisdom blah blah, unethical blah blah blah."

87.5 pages of empirical proof, testing, photographic & anecdotal first hand evidence, lessons on neck length, temporary vs permanent wound cavity, tissue shock, fragmentation, fragment dispersal, trauma & bleeding theory, ballistic calculations, velocity implications, picture evidence of many, MANY critters killed with the OP's intended combination, dissertations from someone who shoots & tests more bullet, cartridge, rifle & scope combinations in a month than most people will do in a lifetime, some jokes, some tears, life lessons, couple of arguments & education later......

You:
4-B533-F1-C-5-A56-4-B9-C-80-CA-7-A6927-F3-B5-BE.gif

woods89

WKR
13 people: "You can't do that, it's too small, conventional wisdom blah blah, unethical blah blah blah."
If I may add.....

......bullet will pencil through, bullet will explode and not penetrate, only on does or cows, what if the bull of a lifetime steps out at 400 yds on the last evening and the only shot you have is the Texas heart shot, what if you hit him too far back, real men can handle recoil, put on a brake and take it off to hunt, even a 22 lr will work if everything's perfect, elk can go miles even when perfectly hit...........

...and on, and on.....