.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
I love my .223's and find myself taking one instead of the more traditional deer calibers. They are low-recoiling, accurate, and will do their work as long as you do yours. Like folks mentioned, limit your shots to about 150 yds. or so, use a good bullet and concentrate on shot placement. Even better if you can shoot it suppressed.

Lawnboi

WKR
@Formidilosus

Regarding the 77tmk in a 22 creed. I’m toying around the idea of buying a 16” 22 creed barrel being that I now have the equipment to swap around barrels. Wondering what you would consider a reasonable upper limit on impact velocity for up to deer? Also if you have any experience with real short 22 creeds. I think a 16” with a suppressor still pushing the 77 at 3000 fps would be pretty awesome.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus

Regarding the 77tmk in a 22 creed. I’m toying around the idea of buying a 16” 22 creed barrel being that I now have the equipment to swap around barrels. Wondering what you would consider a reasonable upper limit on impact velocity for up to deer? Also if you have any experience with real short 22 creeds. I think a 16” with a suppressor still pushing the 77 at 3000 fps would be pretty awesome.

I actually haven’t seen an upper limit per se. Even at 3,300fps impact that still penetrated enough and caused very large wounds. You’ll be well above 3,000fps MV from a 16” 22CM.

I actually haven’t seen an upper limit per se. Even at 3,300fps impact that still penetrated enough and caused very large wounds. You’ll be well above 3,000fps MV from a 16” 22CM.
There is no upper limit. I shoot in the neck to keep the cleaning table tidy. The 77 TMK has show ability for me out to 500 on a rare occasion.

Shraggs

WKR
I love my .223's and find myself taking one instead of the more traditional deer calibers. They are low-recoiling, accurate, and will do their work as long as you do yours. Like folks mentioned, limit your shots to about 150 yds. or so, use a good bullet and concentrate on shot placement. Even better if you can shoot it suppressed.
There is sone staggering photo evidence of elk kills over 400 yards in this thread if you read all of it. Key to this success is not using traditional bullets.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
When is Sierra going to make enough TMKs? Seems like they have been out of stock for a couple years almost.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
recently it's tough to tell if they're actually making anything. I've shot Sierra's since I was 11, nothing against the company at all, but recently their availability has been lousy, particularly compared to Hornady.
Agreed. Seems like gun stores here only have one or two boxes of anything Sierra except 9mm loaded ammo.