.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you for the quick response.
The T3 223 with 8”twist is just silly in how good it is as a practice and field rifle with 75/77gr bullets. Cut and thread at 18”-20”, suppress, put a scope with large FOV that is reliable= you most not shooting anything else much.
That’s what I was thinking. My last threading experience was a bit of a rodeo, so I’ve at least learned what not to do.
The Howa mini is fine, the mags are the shortcoming, it’s not as smooth in bolt throw as the Tikka, and in my experience they don’t shoot as well (though we’ll enough).
There is another thread about the Howa that has already changed my mind. I’m Tikka unless I can find something materially better (short of a custom).
Those calibers all have similar bullets available. However, tissue damage can start to be a bit much. Sometimes that ok. None of those are optimum for long range, and they all have more recoil than needed, however the 06 certainly has bullets that will work.
The 270 is hardly ever used. The 30-06 or 25-06? I have a buddy with quite a few pigs, so I don’t mind “extra” tissue damage for them. I’d welcome any suggestions for bullets. I didn’t see any of the ones I could glean from the prior pages. Unfortunately I don’t reload, but this thread has me reconsidering that.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The 270 is hardly ever used. The 30-06 or 25-06? I have a buddy with quite a few pigs, so I don’t mind “extra” tissue damage for them. I’d welcome any suggestions for bullets. I didn’t see any of the ones I could glean from the prior pages. Unfortunately I don’t reload, but this thread has me reconsidering that.

Federal Berger loads, Hornady ELD-X and match loads with the Amax and ELD-M’s, etc.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Federal Berger loads, Hornady ELD-X and match loads with the Amax and ELD-M’s, etc.
I will check again tomorrow, but I didn’t see any of the Hornady options for either of the -06’s on the Hornady site. I had not checked Federal Berger. Thanks!

amassi

WKR
I will check again tomorrow, but I didn’t see any of the Hornady options for either of the -06’s on the Hornady site. I had not checked Federal Berger. Thanks!
The eld-x is in the precision hunter line and is available for all 3 of your rifle cartridges. 110,145,178 respectively.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

There are some really interesting posts in another forum that have side by side comparisons with bullets cut in half jacket thickness measurements, and some terminal performance pictures too.

The one most relevant to this thread compares the tmk to a gameking and a tipped gameking. The structural differences and similarities between the bullets are very interesting, and definitely help explain things like why the tmk is more reliable than the tgk, why the eldm is more reliable than the eldx etc.

Link in next post just in case, but I recommend taking a look.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure it has been covered here, but because 77TMK seem to be impossible to find what about ELD-M they seem to be much more available. I’m looking at .223 and .243 for my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Great thank you. I assume only cosmetic issues with the seconds?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
The eld-x is in the precision hunter line and is available for all 3 of your rifle cartridges. 110,145,178 respectively.

[Insert sheepish grin/embarrassed emoji here...]

You are correct sir. I've listed below what else I found, in the off chance that someone else with my calibers chooses to search this thread, and in case any of the non-Federal Berger projectiles are not the correct or ideal type:
  1. 25-06
    • Hornady Precision Hunter 110gr (and even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut - I have 5 boxes)
    • Federal - no options with Berger bullets
    • HSM Trophy Gold 115gr Berger Match VLD
  2. 30-06
    • Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X 178gr
    • Hornady Vintage Match ELD-M 168gr
    • Federal Berger Hybrid Hunter 168gr
    • HSM Trophy Gold 168gr, 185gr and 210 gr Berger Match Hunting VLD
  3. 270 Win
    • Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X 145gr
    • Federal Berger Hybrid Hunter 140gr
    • HSM Trophy Gold 130gr and 150gr Berger Match Hunting VLD
    • Gold Country 140gr Berger

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
My buddy has a relatively new custom 22CM with Berger projectiles. I turned him onto this thread and he agreed to sharing the results of his first use of the new rifle on whitetails. The local rifle season opens soon, so fingers crossed I can supply some pictures. (I'm also waiting on the details of his build and the load.)

amassi

WKR
Great thank you. I assume only cosmetic issues with the seconds?

I bought 2k last time they were available at pv. Haven't found a blem yet of any significance maybe 40 so far have had a bit of patina but they all go where I point em

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Posted in the Mini 223 and 6.5G build thread too, but thought you guys might think this is relevant (being Tikka territory and all)

FYI it looks like Brownells has the 223 Mini Action (barreled action) on sale for $389 (home page says "today only.") Brownells Barreled Mini Action

I also got an email from Stocky's yesterday with their carbon fiber blems on sale for $299. Very tempting--after reading and RE-reading the .223 for big game thread I've been thinking about something shorter/lighter than my Ruger American Predator.
Stocky's Carbon Fiber