.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Wow, that's way smaller than I was expecting (never used TSX before). Isn't that pretty much what the TMK does at velocities a bit under 2000 fps?

Correct. Monos create relatively narrow wounds. At any impact speed above 1,800’ish, the 77gr TMK will create wounds that are larger than any .224 cal mono at any realistic speed.

I know consistent fragmentation is a huge force multiplier for rifle bullets, but it's still hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that one type of .223 HP bullet can make a permanent wound cavity that is literally twice the diameter as another .223 HP bullet at similar velocities.

All the lead core makeup, jacket thickness and design. It’s quite easy to make a 60gr .224 lead core hollow point bullet that does not deform at all at 2,800fps, and another lead core 60gr bullet that won’t exit a groundhog.

Follow up question for Form: generally speaking, what would you estimate the permanent wound channel size to be for bonded soft points such as gold dots and fusion at higher impact velocities? I'm assuming roughly in between that of the TMK and TSX, but I don't have much experience with bonded bullets.

Gold Dots/Fusions create very good wounds at high speeds. Similar, but not quite as devastating as the TMK.

The 77TMK is a 4mph bullet out of my Tikka at my DA and it holds true well beyond 400 yds.

The issue isn’t the bullet, but rather the shooter’s/spotter’s ability to correctly ‘call wind’ in field conditions, especially rough topography.

Precisely why this combination works, as it affords the ability to shoot a lot and actually LEARN why shots hit where they do.

The one downfall of such a light projectile is that the splash can be difficult to spot at distance in various mediums.
I’m working my way into the Rokslide special here, but just out of curiosity do y’all shoot 77tmk every time y’all are out or do you guys burn through standard 55gr stuff and then re-zero prior to the start of hunting season?

BjornF16

WKR
I’m working my way into the Rokslide special here, but just out of curiosity do y’all shoot 77tmk every time y’all are out or do you guys burn through standard 55gr stuff and then re-zero prior to the start of hunting season?
I’ve got a bunch of Black Hills 77gr in TMK and SMK. For practice, I’ll shoot the SMK mostly but maintain the zero for TMK. My rifle has about 0.5 MOA difference between the two.

cod0396

FNG
Yes, there is a lot of facts but at a certain point it becomes people slinging stones. Me personally I wouldn't use .223 to kill anything bigger than a yotee. But that my opinion. If it keeps working for him then why not, until he has other outcomes, that my push him to think otherwise.
Not trying to start anything, but can you explain why you wouldn't feel comfortable using .223 on anything bigger than a coyote? The 77gr TMK has been shown to be an effective killer on animals several times the size of whitetail deer, let alone coyotes. There is plenty of proof in this thread. I just don't understand the hang up.

TML75

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Got a chance to try the 77 TMK this morning on a whitetail buck and it worked just like everyone who has used them said it would. Entered the chest cavity, fragmented, deer ran about 25 yards. No exit hole, just some bullet fragments caught under the skin on the other side.

jonandy

FNG
Holy crap! Took me a few weeks to read this thread, so much great info!! Thanks to all who contributed, I had a ton of fun reading it, and I have even shared it with a few good friends. I really love reading about the actual bullet performance, not just a set ft lb. So much more important to understand how the bullet will perform at certain velocities. Now if I can just get some powder and TMK’s I’ll be set.

I have an AR with 1 in 7” twist, I’m sure it will do fine with the 77 TMK. I also have an older savage 112 with a 26” heavy fluted barrel. I believe it’s a one in 9” twist. I heard a few mention the same length of savage with 1 in 9” have you had good luck with it stabilizing the 77 TMK? I’m at about 4,500 ft elevation. Thanks

260madman

WKR
Holy crap! Took me a few weeks to read this thread, so much great info!! Thanks to all who contributed, I had a ton of fun reading it, and I have even shared it with a few good friends. I really love reading about the actual bullet performance, not just a set ft lb. So much more important to understand how the bullet will perform at certain velocities. Now if I can just get some powder and TMK’s I’ll be set.

I have an AR with 1 in 7” twist, I’m sure it will do fine with the 77 TMK. I also have an older savage 112 with a 26” heavy fluted barrel. I believe it’s a one in 9” twist. I heard a few mention the same length of savage with 1 in 9” have you had good luck with it stabilizing the 77 TMK? I’m at about 4,500 ft elevation. Thanks
Your Savage will be fine. I have 2, a 20” and a 26”, and they do very well with the 77s.