.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

ElPollo

WKR
I’d love to see some data on what these non-lead DRT 79 gr loads do on game. Anyone try them yet? They seem like they’d be a much better approach than most of the other non-lead options, and the BC is actually a little better than the 77 gr TMK. I saw a post in the 6.5 thread of someone who used the 135 gr .264 on a Roosevelt elk. The wound channel looked impressive. Would be interested to hear about lower end upset velocities.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
What don’t you like about the TAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn’t meter very well in my RCBS chargemaster and I found it to be pretty temp sensitive. My TMK loads shoot well with it but I ran into pressure in warm weather due to the temp sensitivity despite doing pressure testing in the summer when I first started load development.

Fired up on the .223!

Just got a .224 Bartlein Barrel 7 twist. Going to have an old Rem 700 ADL in .222 that I picked up for super cheap re-barreled and set it up to shoot the 70-90grn bullets.

For those of you who havent purchased a Factory rifle and built your own do you have any preference for chamber Specs? Go .223 Rem with dummy round of my liking to set the free bore or just go with a .223 Wylde and run it how It is cut?

Fired up on the .223!

Just got a .224 Bartlein Barrel 7 twist. Going to have an old Rem 700 ADL in .222 that I picked up for super cheap re-barreled and set it up to shoot the 70-90grn bullets.

For those of you who havent purchased a Factory rifle and built your own do you have any preference for chamber Specs? Go .223 Rem with dummy round of my liking to set the free bore or just go with a .223 Wylde and run it how It is cut?
I prefer the wylde over .223. It lets you push rounds into 5.56 pressures. I’ve heard fantastic things about compass lake engineering and their chambering. Might be proprietary with them and AR only but if there was a way to get a Remington 700 barrel cut to their specifications I’d rock that in a heartbeat.

robtattoo

WKR
Fired up on the .223!

I had my Ruger American chamber recut (actually, I HAD to have it recut....) & went with the Wylde chamber. It gives a little more flexibility on developing load OAL with no real downsides, other than maybe a tiny loss in velocity. My best load at 2.26" (factory .223 OAL) wasn't a patch on how it ended up at 2.40"
One thing you'll have to watch though, is mag length. I don't know the spec of .222 but most factory .223 mags are short. You might only get a couple of thou over 2.26. I ended up with an MDT, AICS pattern, 10rnd box that allows up to 2.50.

Fired up on the .223!

Lots of good results from folks with Wylde chambers. I just inquired with a smith about getting a new tube on my RSS and he doesn't have a wylde reamer but proposed just throating it longer to meet the wylde distance to lands.

This drove me to dig into the difference between 223 rem and wylde on chamber prints. It looks like with a throating reamer it should be pretty easy to get close on the throat, the leade angle might differ slightly. The main difference from there is the wylde has a little more diameter everywhere around the case which in theory should allow a little more powder before pressure, a little more chamber clearance on an identical sized piece of brass, and slightly more resizing of brass when it's sized by a 223 die. In the big scheme of things, there doesn't seem to be a wrong choice. My loaded LC brass measures around 0.253" neck diameter which is pretty tight on a 0.2550-0.2540" 223 rem chamber neck. Lapua loaded neck dimension is more like 0.2510". If you're using LC or similar neck thickness brass, the wylde chamber would be more desirable to me.

wjAOlWq.jpeg

Last edited:
Lots of good results from folks with Wylde chambers. I just inquired with a smith about getting a new tube on my RSS and he doesn't have a wylde reamer but proposed just throating it longer to meet the wylde distance to lands.

This drove me to dig into the difference between 223 rem and wylde on chamber prints. It looks like with a throating reamer it should be pretty easy to get close on the throat, the leade angle might differ slightly. The main difference from there is the wylde has a little more diameter everywhere around the case which in theory should allow a little more powder before pressure, a little more chamber clearance on an identical sized piece of brass, and slightly more resizing of brass when it's sized by a 223 die. In the big scheme of things, there doesn't seem to be a wrong choice. My loaded LC brass measures around 0.253" neck diameter which is pretty tight on a 0.2550-0.2540" rem neck chamber. Lapua loaded neck dimension is more like 0.2510". If you're using LC or similar neck thickness brass, the wylde chamber would be more desirable to me.

wjAOlWq.jpeg
Awesome, thank you all for the input. I will go "Wylde" and see how it shoots. Dropping it off at the gunsmith in the next few days.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Blue Collar Reloading has at least 10,000 TMKs in stock, that is after I bought 1,800 from them. Shipping is a good price too, even shipping to AK.

I’d love to see some data on what these non-lead DRT 79 gr loads do on game. Anyone try them yet? They seem like they’d be a much better approach than most of the other non-lead options, and the BC is actually a little better than the 77 gr TMK. I saw a post in the 6.5 thread of someone who used the 135 gr .264 on a Roosevelt elk. The wound channel looked impressive. Would be interested to hear about lower end upset velocities.

I’m very tempted to order a couple boxes

Tahr

FNG
Here are the in and out holes from the Red stag (a page back) that I posted about. 60 grn Hammer Hunter. The in hole is the bigger one, the out the smaller one. The exit only made a tiny hole in the skin (its just the unexpanded shaft that flies through.

It's interesting mucking around with various bullets but I think day in day out under all conditions the TMK (matched by 80 grain Berger jacketed customs that I also use) probably wins. But, the Hammers do excel on the bigger deer.

Attachments

• IMG_9022.jpeg
    IMG_9022.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9021.jpeg
    IMG_9021.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
Here are the in and out holes from the Red stag (a page back) that I posted about. 60 grn Hammer Hunter. The in hole is the bigger one, the out the smaller one. The exit only made a tiny hole in the skin (its just the unexpanded shaft that flies through.

It's interesting mucking around with various bullets but I think day in day out under all conditions the TMK (matched by 80 grain Berger jacketed customs that I also use) probably wins. But, the Hammers do excel on the bigger deer.

I'm looking at these hammer bullets and I see they have a tipped one. Have you used that? Do you have a preference if so?

Tahr

FNG
I'm looking at these hammer bullets and I see they have a tipped one. Have you used that? Do you have a preference if so?
No I haven't used the tipped ones. The tips come seperate with the projectiles and you have to put them in yourself. Seems odd. I guess the tips might improve the BC by a smidge and perhaps start the upset/expansion a bit quicker but I cant see much advantage for a .223.

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
End user installing them is a little odd yeah. Hard to imagine it will have the same repeatability as being seated by a machine. I'll have to look for some tests or uses showing wound tracts to compare. Do you have a preference in bullet weight for your rifle or do you kinda stick with what's shooting well?

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
End user installing them is a little odd yeah. Hard to imagine it will have the same repeatability as being seated by a machine. I'll have to look for some tests or uses showing wound tracts to compare. Do you have a preference in bullet weight for your rifle or do you kinda stick with what's shooting well?
Hammer is having the customer install the tips until they get machines set up to do it rather than holding off a year or more to release them. I’m pretty sure they tested the tipped version extensively on game of all sizes in Australia, Africa, and NA. The main priority is terminal performance for their bullets. I believe their tester in Australia tried to make these tipped bullets fail and couldn’t. Along with shooting animals at severe angles and hitting bone, and damaging tips on purpose before using.
I’ve had great success with their bullets in several calibers. I like the fact that night hunting hogs I can use smaller cartridges and still get pass throughs on big boars so there’s actually a blood trail. Im moving to we’re im mostly using their absolute lines since they give an extra 100fps. From talking with a few custom bullet manufactures who have purposely damaged tips, seated them off center, or used warped tips it makes very little difference in accuracy or terminal performance at short to medium ranges. Although machine installed tips ready to load will be ideal of course.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
223 77gr TMK 2775 fps MV
140 yards downhill quartering away
One shot. (Actually hit where I was aiming :) )
20' or two jumps from impact to laying stone cold dead
Clipped the liver, destroyed lungs, tomato soup.
Zero meat ruined.

Attachments

• IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2381.jpg