.223 Vs .243 for white tail deer hunting?

Dunndm

WKR
My wife is starting to get more into hunting; but she’s only ever crossbow hunted. She’s only shot my .308 and .22 LR. So for our anniversary I’m going to surprise her with dinner and well... a hunting rifle. She says the .308 is to much for her and I’m wondering what y’all think of getting her a .223 or a .243? What’s your experience with both and what would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apollo117

WKR
.243 or 6 CM are good choices. I would take the 6 CM over the .243, but the .243 has better ammo availability.

I'll also add the 25'06 for consideration.

I don't like the .223 for whitetail. Maybe with the 77gr TMK on close shots with little chance of hitting bone.

What ranges are you hoping to be shooting at? Do you reload?
I personally don't have hands on experience but I have read the .223 with the 77gr TMK's are devastating.. but I personally really like the 243 with the barnes 80gr TTSX.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
What ranges are you hoping to be shooting at? Do you reload?
I personally don't have hands on experience but I have read the .223 with the 77gr TMK's are devastating.. but I personally really like the 243 with the barnes 80gr TTSX.

Up to 150 for her maybe a ouch over
And no I don’t reload but I should

Rich M

WKR
My experience with 243 has been mostly good - no lost deer but it is cause we looked long and hard for a couple of em. The lighter bullets don't penetrate as well as bigger ones unless you use copper. Copper doesn't shoot good out of my rifle. So trying 100 gr nosler partitions this year - actually my 80 yo father is, I'm stuck with the 3006 again...

Anyway - want an entrance and an exit hole. That's all I'm asking for. Most of the not so good experiences were due to getting only the entrance hole for it to bleed out of. Don't shoot the shoulder whatever you do and things should be fine.

No way I'd use or promote a caliber lighter than 243 for deer. many states require .243 or larger anyway. Not sure what your state requires for big game.

My boys all used a .243 and we never had to track any of them. I would say we have killed 10-15 Midwest Whitetails. We shoot the 95 grain SST and have had all different kinds of shots. Neck, shoulder, straight on, broadside. Doesn’t really matter as they have all been DRT.
We brought it on our Antelope hunt and found some 77 grain Sierra Varmint rounds and had a blast shooting prairie dogs with it. I killed one at 300 yards and it is just a cheap Savage Axis youth rifle. We love it.

Both will suffice definitely, but I would lean towards .243 for a little extra assurance on a misplaced shot. Pick up a little heavier rifle to cut down some on the felt recoil!

I would say the 223 is an experts caliber. head shots, and be very picky about what bullet. .243 offers way more ammo choices for deer and a bit more energy for the marginal shot.

Whatever you do make sure you get a stock that fits her.

Laramie

WKR
.243 hands down is the better choice. Both of my son's and my wife have taken a pile of deer with theirs. Buy the youth model - will fit most women. We shoot 95 grain Hornady SST in factory superformance ammo. Most deer are DRT and the furthest any have travelled was 25 yards. My oldest did take his first deer with a .223 because it was all we had. It was a small doe whitetail shot at 80 yards. The shot went through both lungs and exited. She ran close to 100 yards and was a pain to find.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Sounds like it’s the 243 then, what gun would you recommend? I was looking at the Rem 783 but it seems like it’ll be a bit to much for her size wise. I was looking at a few different savage youth guns but I’ve never owned a savage

Weatherby Vanguard has a womens rifle- Camilla that I hear fits well. Shorter LOP and 20" barrel.

Maybe worth her shopping for one that fits and feels right?

Browning makes the AB3 in a compact which can be had for under $500. Don't know much about them but love Browning. We have the Savage Axis Youth and it has been an outstanding gun. Topped it with a Leupold and it is great.