.223 Vs .243 for white tail deer hunting?

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like it’s the 243 then, what gun would you recommend? I was looking at the Rem 783 but it seems like it’ll be a bit to much for her size wise. I was looking at a few different savage youth guns but I’ve never owned a savage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does Remington still make the Model 7? I bought one of those in 243 for my son’s first rifle about 12 years ago. Now I occasionally use it because it is so light and compact

I am not a fan of 223 for deer. Not enough crack for me.

.243 is a fine round. 6.5 creed is worth a look in my opinion. I have had 3 smaller shooters (2 ladies and a kid) shoot my relatively light tikka with 120 grain bullets and no one has complained about recoil. Two of those shooters shot a heavier 308 (180 grain bullet) in the same session and didn’t like it.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I just picked up a Rem Model 7 Stainless with HS precision stock in .243 on gunbroker for $650. great little rifle.

Is that another forum? That’s not a bad deal at all

WCB

WKR
Sounds like it’s the 243 then, what gun would you recommend? I was looking at the Rem 783 but it seems like it’ll be a bit to much for her size wise. I was looking at a few different savage youth guns but I’ve never owned a savage

I find it hard to beat the Savages with the accufit stocks...I have 6 savages all are shooters. 2 with the new accufit stocks and have mounted scopes on 4 other ones for some guys and gals. Exact same model of gun I can fit to a 6' 180lb guy or a 5' 2" 90lb women. length of pull and cheek adjustment super simple. Get a model 110 or if you like stainless a 110 storm with Accu fit and be done withit.

gelton

WKR
My wife likes the 6.8spc in a AR. Just saying. Just for the fact I can fit it to her. Plus no recoil
I like the 6.8 spc as well, does a number on pigs, javelinas and coyotes...In fact that was going to be my response, if you want an AR platform then .223 or even better, 6.8 spc...if a bolt gun then .243 or 6.5CM for sure.

shmelton

FNG
243 in Barnes TTSX are awesome. I have killed a pile of them with those bullets. Then again I’ve killed more with a 100gr soft pt. If you think she may be sensitive to the recoil in the 243. I think federal makes a reduced recoil load for that caliber. I have some down stairs but can’t remember whose.

As far as a 223 goes people really need to look at the ballistics with some of the newer hunting rounds like the 75gr Sierra match king BTSP. They have about the same energy as the 30-30 at 100-200yds. The guys I know that have management permits here in GA use 223’s all the time with 64 gr psp’s, aim for the neck and say bye bye. They shoot as many deer a yr as the permit lets. Maybe 25 maybe 100. I think the 223 not being enough is an old school train of thought from the times before everyone wanted to kill something with an AR. I definitely wouldn’t exceed 200 yds with one, but you must know your limitations for all of your firearms.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a Rem Model 7 Stainless with HS precision stock in .243 on gunbroker for $650. great little rifle.
That is the exact one I purchased for my son; it is stainless with a composite stock. I don’t believe it was an HS precision back then since most of those have the aluminum bedding block

That is the exact one I purchased for my son; it is stainless with a composite stock. I don’t believe it was an HS precision back then since most of those have the aluminum bedding block
This one has the block. I got it off a clearance auction and that was the final bid, they had a few of them going. Not sure if there are more on there. With Rem being reorganized who knows what production is available.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
This one has the block. I got it off a clearance auction and that was the final bid, they had a few of them going. Not sure if there are more on there. With Rem being reorganized who knows what production is available.
Yours has the better stock since it has the block. My sons was just the molded composite which had some flex to it. I was able to make it into a sub MOA rifle by bedding and stiffening the stock

Laramie

WKR
Another vote for the Ruger American compact. My wife loves hers. It's very accurate and fits her. She is 5'4".

jmez

WKR
Ruger American Compact again. Reasonable price, accurate and fits s smaller framed person well. Hard to beat.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I’d say go for 6.5 Grendel, but given that max range and current ammo availability, something more common like 243 or even 30-30 would be completely fine.

No need to get anything fancy. Almost any bolt or lever action will shoot accurate enough at those ranges...even the cheapest of cheap.

My wife is starting to get more into hunting; but she’s only ever crossbow hunted. She’s only shot my .308 and .22 LR. So for our anniversary I’m going to surprise her with dinner and well... a hunting rifle. She says the .308 is to much for her and I’m wondering what y’all think of getting her a .223 or a .243? What’s your experience with both and what would you recommend?

That’s a great anniversary gift! I shoot everything with a 223. Gasp. I have hunted and killed with a 6.5 cm and a 308. I prefer to carry my 223. I got my first bear with the 223.

It definitely matters what ammo you shoot. If you reload, 77gr TMK are nasty. If you don’t reload, 62gr federal fusions or 75 gr Speer gold dots are pretty good too. So far this year I’ve gotten an antelope and a bear. Last year I got two antelope and a whitetail, the year before I got a big buck. My point is, I’ve shot multiple animals with a 223 way past 150 yds.

I wouldn’t get her a cheap rifle, even if it is “accurate enough”. Not saying you have to buy the most expensive thing ever, but invest in something that is enjoyable to shoot, not something that she’s going to be fighting with or that’s throw away-ie cheap junk. A smooth bolt action and easy chambering are important to women, and new shooters. It gets frustrating when you are trying to run the bolt and it gets bound up or feels crunchy. I know I also favor detachable magazines compared to internal magazines.

The Weatherby Camilla does feel great when you pick it up and put it to your shoulder. However the stock design encourages the very thing many women want to reduce-recoil. The stock slopes downward so when the Gun goes bang the barrel rises up and the stock does down which equals increase in perceived recoil. My suggestion would be a Tikka Compact fast twist(1/8”) 223.

Sorry fellas. Bigger isn’t always better.

This years antelope with 77gr.
379BF8C2-F03E-4801-BC3C-0B08480C1448.jpeg

This years bear with 77gr.
FD32CFFC-BEB7-4FF1-B5DB-6D74336EAD53.jpeg

260madman

WKR
We have a thread already About the 223. 223 works. I’m not afraid to use it and let my daughter use it. No expert or sharp shooter skills needed unlike what has been spewed farther back.