225 ELDM failure on elk shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
W

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Didnt get the results you wanted out of the 5 pages of your last "berger failure post"...so here we go again?
You're a f#@king troll go play somewhere else.
This post is to share real world terminal performance for guys who care, I don't give a shit if you don't like it
You didn't loose the animal, so be happy. Anything in the path of a bullet is going to be destroyed.
It wasn't my animal it was my friends, and I care because that bull suffered tremendously with a butchered shoulder for several hours untill shot again.
And my buddy was lucky he even found the wounded bull

I don't personally like shoulder shots but they will happen easily with a bad wind call, people need to be aware of what will happen when one of these bullets hits bone.

I never would have expected a 300 grain bullet to do the same thing on an elk shoulder untill I met the guy I mentioned above.

Vandy321

WKR
This post is to share real world terminal performance for guys who care, I don't give a shit if you don't like it

It wasn't my animal it was my friends, and I care because that bull suffered tremendously with a butchered shoulder for several hours untill shot again.

I don't personally like shoulder shots but they will happen easily with a bad wind call, people need to be aware of what will happen when one of these bullets hits bone.

I never would have expected a 300 grain bullet to do the same thing on an elk shoulder untill I met the guy I mentioned above.

Is it trolling if its true?

I actually did originally come to this post to learn from the first hand experiences, till I realized I'd heard this story before and you were just trolling for replies.

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
Yeah checking into those as well as the cutting edge MTH line, the price sucks a little since I like to put a few hundred rounds a year through my hunting rifle..

That's my whole point...
These ultra high BC bullets are designed for target shooting not punching through an elk shoulder.
I'm thinking seriously about copper bullets that are designed to expand at LR

Thanks for the heads up on the ABLR guys,
I'll go ahead and skip that one for sure

The Hammer and Cutting Edge bullets are definitely expensive. But so is a lost animal or a botched hunt.

I've made the switch to Hammer bullets for my hunting. I always work up 3 or 4 bullet/powder combinations for every rifle. So really no different to ensure that one or two of them are Hammers. I shoot at the range and practice with Berger's or whatever. Then have 100 Hammers on hand to load, practice with and hunt with. I spend more on diesel to get to my hunts then those two boxes of bullets, and the price difference between the Hammers and Bergers is less then the meal I'll eat on the way.

My style of hunting is based on the locations I hunt, and I cant always guarantee shot placement that is appropriate for a bullet like the Berger or even the ELDX. If I can, then I will use those bullets, knowing their limitations. But I made the decision to switch because it was one more variable that I wanted to remove from my long list of potential F-ups.

Thanks for sharing your buddies experience, I typically learn as much or more from others' mistakes, then their social media perfection.

to be clear this was an ELDM bullet and not ELDX?

Ive had great results with ELDX holding together. Have not seen a failure yet. Saw a 178 gr 308 penetrate the skull of a buffalo at under 100 yards, the bullet was recovered with solid weight retention.

Notes on shooting the ACCUBOND. I have had great results, near and far, with the accubond. It is expensive so i practice with the nosler ballistic tip ( much cheaper) that has the same B.C. I have found that they have the same POI and ballistics when loaded the same, but your milage may vary.

181 grain hammer hunters worked well for me this year. Killed 2 deer with them this year. Both died very quickly. This one was at 420 yards. 360768A3-BC22-4E94-8385-5F62AD95561A.jpegED275BE6-7006-40EB-A1EC-DF39B8CF9EDB.jpeg

You might be careful with the language and name calling. The moderators here will ban pretty quickly and without warning. They have a thread warning people about this. FYI.

Bkottke35

WKR
Everyone’s an expert, just ask them.
Thanks for posting yours and your buddies results. Got nothing against long range hunting, I know my limits but they are not someone else’s. That said, my “long range” hunting was this year. I killed a cow elk at 500 yards. Furthest I’ve ever shot at game and probably the furthest I would ever shoot at game. I am shooting my 338 win mag with 210 Barnes TTSX bullets. I hit her twice, both bullets completely passed through and make a mess of her insides while doing so, she was dead on her feet with the first shot but I put a second one in her and she dropped on the spot.
Keep in mind that with the Barnes bullets they really recommend adhering to their velocity recommendations for expansion. I don’t necessarily think these ballistic gel tests show us everything for a hunting scenario. Too many variables in the real world.

Hopefully everyone here as “sportsmen” can come together and respect the individual ways we hunt and the equipment that we use. Too much useless bashing about why use this vs this is better.

B

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
After reading this thread, it will be locked. If we could stay on point and stop the name calling and bashing it would be fine. Visitors of Rokslide don’t need to read the nonsense that this thread has become.

Status
Not open for further replies.