225 gr FTX for 50 Cal?

Rich M

WKR
I have some 250 gr XTPs and like them.

Thinking of doing a little longer range shooting - can't get the 250 gr FTXs, just the 225s. Anyone have any experience with these? I heard FTX bullets will expand down to 900 fps, so this might be a good one for ML?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
They are little grenades at common ML speeds. That bullet was made for 45LC in lever guns. I shoot them for recreation only in my NULA but quite a bit faster than you probably can. If you want to work up a reduced load for youths or light recoil...sure. Maybe around 1800fps MV they would be ok but dont expect a pass through on deer.

The BC is pitiful so if long range is the goal look at something else like a Fury Star Tip 2.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Thanks, G. You shoot the Fury?

Grenades! FTX box says preferred velocity is 800 to 1,800 fps. That could be pretty good for an 1,800 fps load on the 75-100# FL deer I hunt. Without the full penetration, if it doesn't drop close, be diff finding the deer in FL woods without a blood trail.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Sure. Some guys ive seen post have shot them in rounds like the 460S&W or 450BM. They come apart fast at those speeds. I shot them in my NULA around 2250-2300fps and they frag like a varmint bullet. My best WAG is 1800fps on smaller deer will fill your freezer if you stay off the high shoulder. Just take good broad side shots.

Still on the fence on which Fury since i got a couple boxes of bonded 260gr bullets atm and i want to try some 40cal 250s. The latest trend is getting away from sabots in 45s but im super curious how fast i can shoot a 250gr 40cal in my 45s with sabots.

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
I here you Rich. A lot of people that hunt up north or the Midwest don’t understand how hard it is to hunt Florida. Then on top of how hard it is to get a shot, you better drop them in their tracks or have a good blood trail in these thick woods and swamps. I hunt Missouri and Illinois as well and it’s a night and day difference. Not referring to anyone here, just stating in general.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Go out to Howell Island in STL county and tell me its different. :D That place can be a jungle in some parts and if you had a recent flood is still a swamp.

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
Like I said, not referring to anyone in this thread. Even my own family that comes down to visit in December and January can’t believe how thick and green the woods are all year. I hate hunting here between the heat, bugs, and regs but it is what it is. I love the Midwest personally where there are actual seasonal changes and cold weather to enjoy. But like my late father in law that was from Illinois used to say, “Tell me how much you like the snow after shoveling it every winter for 40 years!” 🤣

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy hunting our managed hunts but some of those areas offer only a little bit of fields and lots of areas with dense foliage. Its all conservation land with some smaller crops thrown in. So some of these areas can get thick especially on the river bottom lands/islands. Most are certainly not swamps or very green during the deer season but you will find quite a bit of tall grassy areas.

Huge difference vs the private land i hunted for years with open fields and 200yd+ plus line of site. That area did border Meramec river bottoms and if your deer got in there you were in for really hard tracking. Lots of thorned shrubs/trees and possibly some invasive honeysuckle to fight through too.

This was the view out of the tree stand the last time i hunted that area. To the left is the river bottom.
lYox9IL.jpg

The circle is where i hit the last deer i got. No way i would want to hunt this before the leaves fell.
Dn92bgF.jpg