22LR and Suppressors- the filth!

Been shooting my T1X bolt gun with TBAC 22Ti for a while. I don't mess with it often. Sits in the corner and waits for starlings. I just cleaned my suppressor a few hundred rounds ago. Maybe 300-400?

Shooting Norma TAC-22. Pretty accurate, pretty cheap, pretty available and also pretty sub sonic.

But holy schittt...the filth and unburned powder completely caking the action and bolt.

Any easy fix? Any additive to leave in the can to maybe keep the powder in the can and not falling back into the action? For sure I could leave the rifle muzzle down. Doesn't give me the most warm and fuzzy re: threading and can connection.

This pretty normal? Running a few "Full House" loads through the can burn any of that yellow powder?

OP
J
What a great analogy you Fin savage.

Makes sense!

Thought that as I was dicking around with carb cleaner and other shit. Prolly coulda got my specialty wrench and pulled the stack out and hosed it off in same time.

Muzzle up seems to be pretty problematic though. Guess I just gotta stay on top of it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I havnt found any short cuts, you just have to clean a lot. I know its time to clean when my t1x stops feeding right.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i bought an ultrasonic cleaner off amazon and use breakthrough's suppressor cleaning solution and everything ended up sparkly clean. it's all a bit of investment but i like gadgets, and not having to scrub a suppressor. the ultrasonic cleaner isn't realllly necessary. i soaked the parts in the solution beforehand and it did a pretty amazing job of cleaning just soaking.

i dread having stuck suppressors, whether stuck together or stuck on my rifle. my sig SRD762 was affixed to a rifle for far too long and even with Sig's wrench I couldn't get it off the muzzle device. ounces of prevention because sometimes the cure weighs a ton.

haven't tried the norma subsonic yet but my T1X really likes Eley 38 gr subsonic HP.

I’ve got a buddy that works in a metal shop they use corrosive materials all the time.
Gave it to him to dispose of.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I use an ultra sonic cleaner and pour in a mix of 50/50 purple cleaner and warm water. A few cycles and all the parts to the suppressor are clean including the baffles. I try to clean every 500 rounds. Seems to work well so far and is much safer than “the dip” solution.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Stuff is super caustic? I am honestly a pretty eco Nerd. This is how I cleaned this same TBAC Ti suppressor last time. Worked great. I just dumped it out.
Super poisonous. It creates let acetate which I think is basically led suspended in the liquid. It will kill anything that drinks it and you can get led poisoning from touching it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Google shows it as a creating peracetic acid. Yes harmful. But not instant death. Used in food industry to clean surfaces.

I won't do it again.
After the lead is desolved in it is when it becomes really dangerous. Until then, it’s just an acidic cleaning agent.

Last edited:
Peracetic acid is sprayed on almost all beef carcasses at usda plants to reduce the risk of ecoli contamination. Also lots of veggies to extend shelf life when shipping.

I haven’t had to clean my tbac 22 can yet but it lives on a 17 hmr. Tbac does mention the peracetic acid as being toxic and needing proper disposal.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Peracetic acid is sprayed on almost all beef carcasses at usda plants to reduce the risk of ecoli contamination. Also lots of veggies to extend shelf life when shipping.

I haven’t had to clean my tbac 22 can yet but it lives on a 17 hmr. Tbac does mention the peracetic acid as being toxic and needing proper disposal.
Again, it’s not the paracetic acid that’s bad, it’s the product you get after you’ve desolved lead into it. After the lead is in there you then have led acetate which is highly poisonous.

Lawnboi

WKR
This is why I really don’t shoot a lot of 22lr suppressed. It’s neat, fun, kind of a novelty but a big mess.

Most additives to baffles just make the stickiness worse.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This is why I really don’t shoot a lot of 22lr suppressed. It’s neat, fun, kind of a novelty but a big mess.

Most additives to baffles just make the stickiness worse.
Its not a big deal, I just soak the baffles in CLR, rinse them off then out a lid on a jar the clr is in. I then dump that down the sink at work rather than into my septic. It gets flushed down to the waste treatment plant rather than ending up in my leachfield.

rcook10

WKR
Stop shooting dirty ammo! I made the switch to coated or plated ammo only in my suppressed rifles as the lack of leading makes a HUGE difference. Add good propelelents and it makes it even better. My favorites are cci clean, federal/ae 45gr plated. If you have to shoot plain lead cci sv only. I’ve had ok luck with all eley, federal gm, and aguila match SE and Rifle. Absolutely no go are winchester/remington/norma.