22LR Bergara BMR or Ruger Precision

sndmn11

WKR
My wonderful wife's birthday is 12/25, so that's a lot of fun.

I was thinking of getting her a bolt action 22LR to go with her 7-08. I suppose a semi would do as well, but I think that would encourage rapid shooting.

Does anyone have thoughts/feedback on the Bergara HMR or Ruger Precision? Both are in stock at the local Sportsman's and similar price.

BLJ

WKR
If you’re talking about the B14R with the HMR stock, that’s going to be a better option if your looking for initial capability and availability of aftermarket products. Remington 700 footprint so everything for them fits the Bergara. Build what you want. The ones I’ve seen and the ones I’ve shot were all hammers. For sure.
That being said, the Ruger is a good option as well. Mine shoots +/- MOA easy with CCI SV. The Bergaras seemed to be a little more snooty when it comes to ammo. SK Match, Eley Match, Center-X. Stuff like that. So I guess it depends on why you want to do and how much you want to spend. 22 LR aren’t exempt. 😁. Anything specific? I’ll help if I can.
All that being said, I have a CZ 457. 😉. Happy hunting.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
If you’re talking about the B14R with the HMR stock, that’s going to be a better option if your looking for initial capability and availability of aftermarket products. Remington 700 footprint so everything for them fits the Bergara. Build what you want. The ones I’ve seen and the ones I’ve shot were all hammers. For sure.
That being said, the Ruger is a good option as well. Mine shoots +/- MOA easy with CCI SV. The Bergaras seemed to be a little more snooty when it comes to ammo. SK Match, Eley Match, Center-X. Stuff like that. So I guess it depends on why you want to do and how much you want to spend. 22 LR aren’t exempt. 😁. Anything specific? I’ll help if I can.
All that being said, I have a CZ 457. 😉. Happy hunting.

They had a single shot youth cz 457. I think it would be fun to practice with to 300 yards, without the expense of center-fire. We have a TC/22 that we got out son for his first bday (he gets a gun every year) but I figured her own would be cool. The Ruger seemed like a better choice for the target shooting task and takes the magazines we have already, but I went in to look at the Bergara.

This one, but they have a black speckled stock with steel barrel locally.

BLJ

WKR
IMO between those 2, Ruger easy. For 2 reasons. Magazines and adjustability. The big one being adjustability. Saying it is for your wife and mentioning your son, that rifle can be adjusted to 3 different people in seconds if you so choose.
Mine is set up with a Vortex Venom and a set of bipods. As long as the wind cooperates, I can dial it to 300 and hit 8” steel until I’m bored. Then adjust it to fit my 8 year old son and he does the same thing. Pretty cool for sure.
And if you want to spend some more money😁, put an ER Shaw barrel on it and make the Voodoo guys feel bad.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
IMO between those 2, Ruger easy. For 2 reasons. Magazines and adjustability. The big one being adjustability. Saying it is for your wife and mentioning your son, that rifle can be adjusted to 3 different people in seconds if you so choose.
Mine is set up with a Vortex Venom and a set of bipods. As long as the wind cooperates, I can dial it to 300 and hit 8” steel until I’m bored. Then adjust it to fit my 8 year old son and he does the same thing. Pretty cool for sure.
And if you want to spend some more money😁, put an ER Shaw barrel on it and make the Voodoo guys feel bad.

Since you have that rifle and brought it up, does it take normal 10/22 barrels? When the 20k+ barrel life comes around.

I was olanning on taking a scope in rings back, but does it need AR height rings? I'd love it if we can swap scopes around with the elk rifles and pic rails and have everything still fit.

BLJ

WKR
I’m 99% sure the barrels are different. May want to check on this for yourself.
On the ring height. Mine came with a 30MOA rail front the factory. I had use high rings to clear the objective end on the Venom. And that was barely. YMMV on that. Just have to look it over.

CHSD

WKR
I've seen a few guys who have had ejection issues on their Ruger precision's. They shoot alright, but in my opinion having to fight ejection issues isn't worth it when you could get a cz or tikka in the same price range.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I've seen a few guys who have had ejection issues on their Ruger precision's. They shoot alright, but in my opinion having to fight ejection issues isn't worth it when you could get a cz or tikka in the same price range.
I am struggling to find the CZ or Tikka in stock.

tdhanses

WKR
I love my ruger precision, i did put a match barrel on it but it was good out of the box. There are some good forums discussing the ruger.

I also have a CA Ranger, think the Ruger is a better gun.

tdhanses

WKR
Since you have that rifle and brought it up, does it take normal 10/22 barrels? When the 20k+ barrel life comes around.

I was olanning on taking a scope in rings back, but does it need AR height rings? I'd love it if we can swap scopes around with the elk rifles and pic rails and have everything still fit.
I would say the barrels are different since the barrel makers have Ruger Rimfire Precision barrels and 10/22 barrels.

tdhanses

WKR
Dang there are way more barrels available now then when I got mine, think i put either an er shaw or green mountain barrel on mine but now it looks like proof even has a carbon barrel for it https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021966879

I’ve taken both my ruger and CA to 300, it’s a blast shooting that far with a 22.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Dang there are way more barrels available now then when I got mine, think i put either an er shaw or green mountain barrel on mine but now it looks like proof even has a carbon barrel for it https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021966879

I’ve taken both my ruger and CA to 300, it’s a blast shooting that far with a 22.

I didn't realize until Dr. Googles told me last night that 22lr barrel life was in the tens of thousands. So, the barrel swap mightbnot be something to fret over.

I just got a bergara hmr action in 22lr and slapped in my old XLR 3.0 element. It’s a awesome little action and trainer. Very accurate, feeds well, and was only 650. It feels very similar to my 65prc Viking hunting rig which is nice for plinking without spending money. I’ll probably start doing the 22lr stuff at cameo soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I just got a bergara hmr action in 22lr and slapped in my old XLR 3.0 element. It’s a awesome little action and trainer. Very accurate, feeds well, and was only 650. It feels very similar to my 65prc Viking hunting rig which is nice for plinking without spending money. I’ll probably start doing the 22lr stuff at cameo soon.

$650? Aren't they $1k typically?

tdhanses

WKR

Does it fit in a short action?

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Bummer.

I took a SHV and a Maven 42mm in pic rings to check clearance on both. Wouldn't fit the flat top of the Ruger.

The BIG bummer is that the Bergara rail is not pic rail spec spacing so one ring sat on the mountain and not the valley.

tdhanses

WKR
Somethings up, i had a 50mm on my ruger, now it has a 42mm swfa, think you just need a taller set of rings.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Somethings up, i had a 50mm on my ruger, now it has a 42mm swfa, think you just need a taller set of rings.
Yes, taller rings on the Ruger would work, but the BMR was a surprise that someone would make a rail on a competition rifle that is not compatible with the picatinny spec.

BLJ

WKR
That’s the first I’ve heard of that. I have about 400 rounds through my RPRR and my wife’s RAR Target has about 1500 on it (with the same bolt) and we haven’t experienced this. CCI SV and SK Standard Plus, and we ain’t exactly good at keeping them clean. Any idea what was causing the issue?