22LR - Long range training

Seeknelk

WKR
So..... Everyone says how a 22 makes you better at reading the wind...but then you grab your big wind cheating 6.5,7 , 300 or whatever, aren't you going to tend to OVERestimate the wind call? I know we have our dope and all but just curious if anyone has experienced this.
I know any trigger time is good trigger time tho and maybe that's the biggest benefit. I love shooting mine but haven't stretched it out...yet. plan to.

Broz

WKR
So..... Everyone says how a 22 makes you better at reading the wind...but then you grab your big wind cheating 6.5,7 , 300 or whatever, aren't you going to tend to OVERestimate the wind call? I know we have our dope and all but just curious if anyone has experienced this.
I know any trigger time is good trigger time tho and maybe that's the biggest benefit. I love shooting mine but haven't stretched it out...yet. plan to.

Yes you have to know your wind dials / holds. but one thing I do is practice breaking the shots on the high or lows. Meaning I may be watching mirage, or listening to the high or low in wind speed to choose when to send it. Also it makes me very comfortable looking or listening to these wind indicators and watching for others as well. So a miss off right edge, or a hit on the very right edge offers me the option to hold left of center, or wait for a low.

For first shots, believe me a 22 at 300 plus will train you to see whats out there for wind and identify its value.

Trigger time with a like trigger is priceless too.

Jeff

Seeknelk

WKR
Thanks Broz, yeah those are all fine points that only get finer with a 22 i would imagine. I'd love to build one identical to my 300. Maybe I'll start one off my Ruger rimfire.