22LR - Long range training

wildcat33

WKR
Todays 22 rifles include choices nothing less than awesome. Our Vudoo 22's take the same stock and trigger as our center fire match rifles. The training aspect is awesome. I have competed in a few ELR matches already with the 22 LR, and it was some real fun. Don't under estimate the abilities of the 22 long rifle either. It might just surprise you how they hold a group at distance with proper ammo, rifle and equipment.

Awesome setup Broz.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Ordered up:

Lapua Center X
SK Long Range *new
SK Rifle Match
Eley Target

Oh man this rabbit hole is opening up.

Todays 22 rifles include choices nothing less than awesome. Our Vudoo 22's take the same stock and trigger as our center fire match rifles. The training aspect is awesome.

I put Ruger Americans in chassis for this reason. Po' boy ways.....

IMG_3735_zps2hkvxsht.jpg

Ordered up:

Lapua Center X
SK Long Range *new
SK Rifle Match
Eley Target

Oh man this rabbit hole is opening up.

Good choices, let us know what you land on. If you’re able to chrono your speeds I’d be interested in seeing that too. My chrono wouldn’t pick up my 22lr so I had to just shoot to verify drops and match up speeds and BC in my app to make it all work.

I put Ruger Americans in chassis for this reason. Po' boy ways.....

IMG_3735_zps2hkvxsht.jpg

Looks like a great setup to me! Wouldn’t call that po boy, I’d call that smart to clone your hunting rifle.

What suppressor is that on the 22? I’m waiting on a TBAC take down for mine and cannot wait.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Good choices, let us know what you land on. If you’re able to chrono your speeds I’d be interested in seeing that too. My chrono wouldn’t pick up my 22lr so I had to just shoot to verify drops and match up speeds and BC in my app to make it all work.

I tried to chrono it last time I was out and wasn’t able to get a reading. I had to walk mine in out to 300 and then adjust my BC and velocity to match up to where I was at.

I was at 14mils for CCI SV and 12.5mils for Fed AutoMatch, they grouped best out of my last test using:

Aguila Super Extra Lead - 2” group at 100
Aguila Super Extra plated - 3” group at 100
Blazer - 4” groups at 100
Federal HV Match - 4” groups at 100
Federal Champ VP - complete garbage 8”+
Rem GB VP - complete garbage 8”+
CCI SV - 1” at 100
Fed AM - 1.5” at 100

What I found is the higher velocity stuff doesn’t group well at 100 for me and I didn’t try it out further and to stay away from plated based on the Aguila results. Also found to stay away from value pack or bucket of bullets as they suck.

I went ahead and bedded my Ruger Precision this week and am going to put a match grade barrel on it. Think I’ll call it good where it ends up at. From everything I’ve read the match barrel will mostly only remove the flyers and produce slightly tighter groups but the factory barrel is pretty accurate except it always has a few random flyers. Also the first cold bore shot is always off 2” to the left and low at 100.

I’m also going to stick to ammo in the 1200 - 1000 ft/s range. I’ll test the Blazer and Fed HV next time I’m out at 300 to see if it tightens up further out but I’m just not sold that if it is crap at 100 and in why keep shooting it. During the ammo scare a few years ago I unfortunately invested in a large number of Fed Champ VP and Rem GB. Not sure if they are worth just shooting to work in the barrel or not.

Also my Spartan Precision bipod mount just came so no more shooting off a bag. I’ll wait till the new barrel comes to shoot the new stuff, next weekend I should be breaking it in.

I also picked up 500 of the CCI SV’s, at the same price as Fed Automatch per bullet it was a no brained for how well it’s shooting out of the factory barrel.

3E2146C1-CAE9-49CE-88D9-9858D49FA5CE.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I had the same problem with the sporter (Err3 ?). Dig around and see if you can find the "thin" spacer that came with it. That fixed the problem for me.

What are you shooting? I think with the Ruger Precision having the hand guard extend so far I have no way to really mount it to the barrel without removing it, might have to barrow my buddies Caldwell.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Todays 22 rifles include choices nothing less than awesome. Our Vudoo 22's take the same stock and trigger as our center fire match rifles. The training aspect is awesome. I have competed in a few ELR matches already with the 22 LR, and it was some real fun. Don't under estimate the abilities of the 22 long rifle either. It might just surprise you how they hold a group at distance with proper ammo, rifle and equipment.

Jeff that is an awesome video! What is the funky looking device on the scope?

wildcat33

WKR
What are you shooting? I think with the Ruger Precision having the hand guard extend so far I have no way to really mount it to the barrel without removing it, might have to barrow my buddies Caldwell.

I’m shooting a tikka. So, yeah Won’t work for you with the handguard

Broz

WKR
Jeff that is an awesome video! What is the funky looking device on the scope?
The TACOM HQ Charlie Tarac. Its a set of canted mirrors that deflect the target image to add elevation for ELR shots. I needed 225 moa for that shot, scope only had 120 ish with a 60 moa rail. With my Charlie set at 125 Moa I can dial the scope to 250 moa.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I tried to chrono it last time I was out and wasn’t able to get a reading. I had to walk mine in out to 300 and then adjust my BC and velocity to match up to where I was at.

I was at 14mils for CCI SV and 12.5mils for Fed AutoMatch, they grouped best out of my last test using:

Aguila Super Extra Lead - 2” group at 100
Aguila Super Extra plated - 3” group at 100
Blazer - 4” groups at 100
Federal HV Match - 4” groups at 100
Federal Champ VP - complete garbage 8”+
Rem GB VP - complete garbage 8”+
CCI SV - 1” at 100
Fed AM - 1.5” at 100

What I found is the higher velocity stuff doesn’t group well at 100 for me and I didn’t try it out further and to stay away from plated based on the Aguila results. Also found to stay away from value pack or bucket of bullets as they suck.

I went ahead and bedded my Ruger Precision this week and am going to put a match grade barrel on it. Think I’ll call it good where it ends up at. From everything I’ve read the match barrel will mostly only remove the flyers and produce slightly tighter groups but the factory barrel is pretty accurate except it always has a few random flyers. Also the first cold bore shot is always off 2” to the left and low at 100.

I’m also going to stick to ammo in the 1200 - 1000 ft/s range. I’ll test the Blazer and Fed HV next time I’m out at 300 to see if it tightens up further out but I’m just not sold that if it is crap at 100 and in why keep shooting it. During the ammo scare a few years ago I unfortunately invested in a large number of Fed Champ VP and Rem GB. Not sure if they are worth just shooting to work in the barrel or not.

Also my Spartan Precision bipod mount just came so no more shooting off a bag. I’ll wait till the new barrel comes to shoot the new stuff, next weekend I should be breaking it in.

I also picked up 500 of the CCI SV’s, at the same price as Fed Automatch per bullet it was a no brained for how well it’s shooting out of the factory barrel.

View attachment 94845

Its funny how bad some 22 ammo can be. That rem 22 ammo is CRAP.

Lapua Center X shoots around 1 MOA in my rifle. The Eley match shoots around .5 MOA. Just like centerfire rifles. They like what they like.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
The TACOM HQ Charlie Tarac. Its a set of canted mirrors that deflect the target image to add elevation for ELR shots. I needed 225 moa for that shot, scope only had 120 ish with a 60 moa rail. With my Charlie set at 125 Moa I can dial the scope to 250 moa.

Wow, that’s crazy, lol.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Its funny how bad some 22 ammo can be. That rem 22 ammo is CRAP.

Lapua Center X shoots around 1 MOA in my rifle. The Eley match shoots around .5 MOA. Just like centerfire rifles. They like what they like.

Yeah I’ll play around but will settle on one or two and stop messing with that aspect of this.

How often do most of you clean? With my centerfire it’s after a few hundred or when groups open up but I can easily put 200 - 400 rounds down range out of the 22 in a day of shooting.

Broz

WKR
Yeah I’ll play around but will settle on one or two and stop messing with that aspect of this.

How often do most of you clean? With my centerfire it’s after a few hundred or when groups open up but I can easily put 200 - 400 rounds down range out of the 22 in a day of shooting.

I try every 3 to 400 rounds. You want to stay on top that carbon ring. IOSSO bore paste and BoreTech rim fire cleaner will be your friend.

Sodbuster

WKR
When you guys have found the best match of ammo to your rifle, what do the 100 and 200 yard groups look like?

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
When you guys have found the best match of ammo to your rifle, what do the 100 and 200 yard groups look like?

I’m not there yet, I hope, I’m really wanting consistency at 100 but I’m pretty decent with 1 to 2” groups just not 100% consistent, still get a flyer. Haven’t shot paper at 200 or 300, I just shoot at an 8” gong at 300 for now. Hit it about 50% of the time so my groups would be I’m guessing 6”+. Crazy how a 3mph wind moves these little guys so much.

Today was hard with really gusty winds so mainly focused on 50 and 100, when it calmed down I did get a few off at 300. I need to put paper up and see what my groups are doing.

I’m not there yet, I hope, I’m really wanting consistency at 100 but I’m pretty decent with 1 to 2” groups just not 100% consistent, still get a flyer. Haven’t shot paper at 200 or 300, I just shoot at an 8” gong at 300 for now. Hit it about 50% of the time so my groups would be I’m guessing 6”+. Crazy how a 3mph wind moves these little guys so much.

Today was hard with really gusty winds so mainly focused on 50 and 100, when it calmed down I did get a few off at 300. I need to put paper up and see what my groups are doing.

The wind is the big factor. On a calm day with my average shooting skills my vudoo will shoot inside an inch all day at 100, but yes, a slight breeze at 200 yards and you’re holding a lot of wind in a hurry!

I just went deeper down the rabbit hole and bought a labradar. Hoping I can get some velocity readings to 100 yards to help get some better ballistic data.

I had a pile of Cabela’s points to burn so it was easy to swallow the $600 on a chrono!!!