22LR - Long range training

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had any hands-on time with the Tikka T1x? Looks like a good compromise between the cost of entry of the RPR and the big-rifle-compatibility of the Vudoo.

Seems they went out of their way to make the action footprint the same as the T3x line, at least for stock inlet, would make moving to a quality stock down the line an easier and relatively cheaper proposition. Dovetail is different, but it looks like there's already suppliers of scope bases out there.

Last edited:
OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I haven’t but I would look at a CZ-457 tacticool or precision trainer before the Tikka. The precision trainer is nice, I was shooting with a CZ employee last weekend and was able to fondle his with the Manners stock, nice at less the $1k, the tacticool is less then $500 with a similar Boyd stock.

The trigger felt nice to me and I liked the stock vs the chassis of the RPR. If only one had been available when I got mine.

There is a trigger kit, yo-Dave I believe it is called.

I have my trigger on the RPR set at 16oz and the CZ’s trigger felt very similar in pull and crispness. Also the 457 is an all new rifle vs the 455, different action, not sure on trigger but his felt good, same interchangeable barrel design.

All that said, I didn’t think it was more accurate then the RPR with a match barrel.

wildcat33

WKR
Has anyone had any hands-on time with the Tikka T1x? Looks like a good compromise between the cost of entry of the RPR and the big-rifle-compatibility of the Vudoo.

Seems they went out of their way to make the action footprint the same as the T3x line, at least for stock inlet, would make moving to a quality stock down the line an easier and relatively cheaper proposition. Dovetail is different, but it looks like there's already suppliers of scope bases out there.

Its an excellent rifle. KRG is making a nice chassis for it if you want to set it up that way without spending a fortune. Dovetail is 11mm and a number of folks are making rails that fit. There is a lot of info on snipers hide.

I really like mine. Put the vertical grip on it and lightened up the trigger to two pounds or maybe just under (without changing trigger spring). It’s proven to hold up to its one moa guarantee out to 50 yards with a few types of ammo. Haven’t taken it beyond that yet. Ammo selection is a little limited here in Fairbanks, so I haven’t tried a lot of the match ammo yet. It likes cci sv well enough, but my chrono results show a spike/drop in velocity once every five rounds or so that correlate with fliers.

I was looking at a cz first but all of my reading seemed to point me toward the tikka. Granted that was before the tikkas were in the wild in any appreciable numbers yet, and I haven’t looked back to see what the internet consensus is now.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
All that said, I didn’t think it was more accurate then the RPR with a match barrel.

This would make me hesitate on a T1x or 457, the availability (or lack thereof) of phenomenal quality, tighter-chambered barrels that I can throw on myself, especially for the relatively low price of the existing RPR options.

Presumably the aftermarket will eventually catch up, I believe both the Tikka and the CZ use screws instead of having the barrel threaded into the receiver, so I'd think it wouldn't be hard to do.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
This would make me hesitate on a T1x or 457, the availability (or lack thereof) of phenomenal quality, tighter-chambered barrels that I can throw on myself, especially for the relatively low price of the existing RPR options.

Presumably the aftermarket will eventually catch up, I believe both the Tikka and the CZ use screws instead of having the barrel threaded into the receiver, so I'd think it wouldn't be hard to do.

CZ has its own barrel quick change design and they offer a ton of options directly from them. CZ also has a pretty good aftermarket selection as well from what I understand.

I think the Tikka is a screwed on to the shoulder barrel so not easily changed but I could be wrong as I really didn’t research it when I was looking.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
CZ has its own barrel quick change design and they offer a ton of options directly from them. CZ also has a pretty good aftermarket selection as well from what I understand.

I think the Tikka is a screwed on to the shoulder barrel so not easily changed but I could be wrong as I really didn’t research it when I was looking.

Ah, I see now that the 457 barrel change system is unchanged from the 455, that make that easier. The Tikka is held onto the receiver by three (heavily threadlocked) screws, in theory there's nothing to stop anyone from swapping barrels themselves, but I skimmed through the mega thread on SH and there doesn't seem to be anyone developing a replacement barrel for it at the moment.

The 457 Precision Trainer really is a bargain for its specifications, its like buying a Manners stock that happens to come with a damn good .22 barreled action for another $150

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Ah, I see now that the 457 barrel change system is unchanged from the 455, that make that easier. The Tikka is held onto the receiver by three (heavily threadlocked) screws, in theory there's nothing to stop anyone from swapping barrels themselves, but I skimmed through the mega thread on SH and there doesn't seem to be anyone developing a replacement barrel for it at the moment.

The 457 Precision Trainer really is a bargain for its specifications, its like buying a Manners stock that happens to come with a damn good .22 barreled action for another $150

Yup, while I like my RPR, it was not my first choice and I’ve spent more improving it then I would of paid for a cz tacticool. If one had been available, the precision trainer is what I would have gone with.

That said, I feel my RPR is every bit as accurate, it’s flaws are more in the guy pulling the trigger then it.

I do think the RPR will have a good aftermarket selection with time compared to the CZ and Tikka but doubt a manners stock is ever available.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, while I like my RPR, it was not my first choice and I’ve spent more improving it then I would of paid for a cz tacticool. If one had been available, the precision trainer is what I would have gone with.

That said, I feel my RPR is every bit as accurate, it’s flaws are more in the guy pulling the trigger then it.

I do think the RPR will have a good aftermarket selection with time compared to the CZ and Tikka but doubt a manners stock is ever available.

The At-One model looks interesting as well, good adjustability in the stock, 24" barrel, heavy enough for trainer/match duty, and looks like they sell for mid-$500s when they're in stock.

I wonder how a 223ai progressive press loadswith cheap Speer hp and blue dot would compare to a 22lr trainer.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder how a 223ai progressive press loadswith cheap Speer hp and blue dot would compare to a 22lr trainer.

I think I see what you're getting at with a reduced power load, but you're not saving a ton of powder vs something like RL7 that will get the job done with ~20 gr (non-AI .223 data).

Speer's 52gr JHP can be had for $0.10ea, non-BR primers for $0.03ea and $25/lb for RL7, all MidwayUSA prices for this quick and dirty calculation. That would be right at $0.20ea if we negate the price of brass, and considering how much lake city range I've wound up with over the years, not a terrible assumption. Certainly in the ballpark of Eley Target, and an interesting thought!

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I think the 223 even downloaded is still a different game then the 22. I doubt you load these down to the 1000-1150ft/s range.

I find the 22 super difficult to be 100% on compared to my 223, any little twitch and a 22 will let you know you did it. Also the effects of wind on this round are substantial. All trigger time is good in my view but the 22 will make you work harder at shorter ranges.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
I think the 223 even downloaded is still a different game then the 22. I doubt you load these down to the 1000-1150ft/s range.

I find the 22 super difficult to be 100% on compared to my 223, any little twitch and a 22 will let you know you did it. Also the effects of wind on this round are substantial. All trigger time is good in my view but the 22 will make you work harder at shorter ranges.

I was just curious for a cost comparison (you can load .223 a lot cheaper than I thought!), but I still want a .22LR because of the challenges in shooting it even at modest ranges. I love my 10 lb bartlein-barreled 6.5CM, but if all you have around you are 100 yd ranges, it doesn't challenge you a whole lot.

It wouldn't be just straight cost savings on a per shot basis... more along the lines of the fact that a 223 is my go to for deer and antelope so trigger/hunting time on my normal hunting rig.

600 yards with 40gr vmax back when we were shooting a lot of prairie dogs in the dakotas was plenty hard enough but it is nice shooting less range and still have affect of wind being critical.

James Calhoun has a 4 gr load with 800x or blue dot with a 40gr bullet.

Be a handy rig for shooting squirrels/chipmunks and or feral birds like Eurasian collared doves.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
The best part about the 22 game, I don’t have to reload shit:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly and it’s fun getting a crappy bullet design to group consistently.

223 even with a light load will still be easier to group at 100 yards then a 22lr.