22LR - Long range training

tdhanses

WKR
Anyone here shooting out to 300+ yards with their 22? If so how have you found it to help hone your skills? 300 yards with a 22 I would think helps one get used to dialing and shooting in the wind. Wouldn’t this provide a good base for learning the ins and outs of dialing and understanding wind?

Now it will not replace actually shooting your hunting rifle but seems like a cheap way to get trigger time and a good understanding.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
How do you like the Eley ammo?

My rifle really likes the Eley Match. It's also the most consistent for ES that I have tested.

But I am really just getting started in the 22LR game.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Me too. I've just been shooting CCI ammo buy keep hearing good things about eley.

I tried the CCI green tag and select. It sucked in my rifle. The Lapua Center X did good, the Eley Tenex did ok. The Eley Match is ridiculously accurate in my Vudoo.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I seem to only be able to find CCI and Aguila instick around here, do most of you order your ammo online and where is a good place to get it from?

CCI std vel so far has been the most accurate for me, I’m able to tap the gongs at 300 but definitely not 10 out of 10 times.

Last edited:
How do you like the vudoo?

I love my vudoo, I struggled with spending that sort of money on a .22 for a while. Now that I have it, I am so happy I did it. You won’t regret it.

Also on ammo, my vudoo likes Lapua center X and I order it from midway, 500 rounds ships to me for like $7-$8 or something but no tax. They also carry all the other match .22 LR brands. I ordered a 50rd box of 5-6 different kinds and found what worked best. My rifle like one of the Eley’s but also the center X, a lot of folks like the SK stuff, it I tried two kinds and my rifle hated both.

Get a vudoo if you’re going to go down the rabbit hole!

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I love my vudoo, I struggled with spending that sort of money on a .22 for a while. Now that I have it, I am so happy I did it. You won’t regret it.

Also on ammo, my vudoo likes Lapua center X and I order it from midway, 500 rounds ships to me for like $7-$8 or something but no tax. They also carry all the other match .22 LR brands. I ordered a 50rd box of 5-6 different kinds and found what worked best. My rifle like one of the Eley’s but also the center X, a lot of folks like the SK stuff, it I tried two kinds and my rifle hated both.

Get a vudoo if you’re going to go down the rabbit hole!

Haha, I have a Ruger Precision rimfire but who knows if I’ll ever upgrade, so far it slaps steal at 300 but I haven’t found the perfect ammo yet or may need to put a match grade barrel on it. Shockingly CCI std vel and federal automatch shoot decent but I want to try some of the better stuff and see if I can’t extend it out further or get it to hit a 8” plate 10/10 times at 300 to start.

I always just plink out to 100 and never thought of stretching its legs, so far it’s become very addicting. And not going to lie, was fun dialing 12.5mils.

I wasn’t able to get my magneto speed sporter to read velocities, how are you guys doing this or are you just walking it in and adjusting within the program to get you setup dialed?

Last edited:

wildcat33

WKR
I wasn’t able to get my magneto speed sporter to read velocities, how are you guys doing this or are you just walking it in and adjusting within the program to get you setup dialed?

I had the same problem with the sporter (Err3 ?). Dig around and see if you can find the "thin" spacer that came with it. That fixed the problem for me.

Broz

WKR
Todays 22 rifles include choices nothing less than awesome. Our Vudoo 22's take the same stock and trigger as our center fire match rifles. The training aspect is awesome. I have competed in a few ELR matches already with the 22 LR, and it was some real fun. Don't under estimate the abilities of the 22 long rifle either. It might just surprise you how they hold a group at distance with proper ammo, rifle and equipment.

Wrench

WKR
A couple of my former coworkers were big into 22lr at range. They live on POW and wring them out to a grand. It takes a 40-50 min base and a scope with a bunch of elevation to get there.

My personal rigs max out around 600 with what I have for elevation.

Broz

WKR
A couple of my former coworkers were big into 22lr at range. They live on POW and wring them out to a grand. It takes a 40-50 min base and a scope with a bunch of elevation to get there.

My personal rigs max out around 600 with what I have for elevation.

My V22 takes over 115 moa at 500 yards, I have a 60 MOA base and an ATACR with 128 moa of elevation. It takes 225 moa at 850 yards and 310 plus moa up at 1000 yards at 4100' ASL. I use a Charlie Tarac past 550 yards. What are your friends using to get 310 plus MOA of elevation?
Thanks
Jeff

Wrench

WKR
I'm not sure who is building their bases, they have them on a couple of annies. They are running ss10's and I'm not sure if using all turret, or reticle too....but I've seen them bust a couple of crab pot bouys on video.