22LR - Long range training

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Great break down, I’m at 6.7 MOA at 100, 48.1 MOA at 300 and the app states 104.5 MOA at 500. Now I had to walk it in and manually adjust my BC and velocity to get the amount of MOA dialed in my app so that it worked out for 100 and 300. It’s been fun working this out and playing with it. I really need to get my chrono working with my setup more so I can track the SD and ES to get that consistency.

Last edited:
OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Did notice that Shaw and GM are making very reasonably priced barrels, happy to see that.

I do like the American Rimfire Target models, too, but I doubt they'll ever have the aftermarket support the RPR will.

I think the RPR aftermarket support is only going to get better. If you get one make sure you completely disassemble it and clean the crap out of it. Also look for a you tube video of how to bed it with aluminum tape, it does help. This isn’t the perfect platform but it’s not horrible and support is only growing. I think the factory trigger is really good so doubt I get a Timney for it, should be released shortly from what I’ve seen. I wish someone would come out with about a 3-4” shorter handguard for it.

There is a 0 MOA rail but I don’t know why anyone would get it and replace the 30 MOA rail it comes with.

I have a one piece ring base and had to add a little padding to the cheek riser.

Guess I’ll findout if the GM barrel was worth it or not, it’s all ready for the range this weekend.

Oh and Lilja makes a barrel for it as well but it’s expensive.

Last edited:
You bastards.. Now I want one.

Got a CZ455 "tacticool" model to scratch the 22 itch and it just doesn't do it for me. The trigger is enough to make me feel like it isn't that helpful for training.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR

Got a CZ455 "tacticool" model to scratch the 22 itch and it just doesn't do it for me. The trigger is enough to make me feel like it isn't that helpful for training.

Think there is a aftermarket trigger kit for that cz, supposedly it is a vast improvement.

Broz

WKR

Ahhhh, the beauty of the Vudoo. Fits in a short action 700 stock, uses a 700 trigger and accepts a rail mount. So our trainer 22's and Match rifles look and feel the same with the same trigger pull weight and same stocks.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
"One of these things is not like the Other" V-22 Vudoo and Snowy Mountain Rifles 6mm Creedmoor. Both in McMillan A6 adjustable stocks, Triggertech Diamond Triggers, Mod Evo bipods, and NF ATACR 5-25's.

Man I wish I could justify one. Hopefully they can get their prices down if their sales volume ticks up a bit.

Man I wish I could justify one. Hopefully they can get their prices down if their sales volume ticks up a bit.

They really are worth it. It’s just like a custom center fire rifle, you know you are getting what you paid for. The cost is tough to swallow, but I think it all depends on how much time you’re going to invest in shooting it. For me I wanted to get into shooting some .22 matches at my gun club so I did not want to buy one the. Have the desire to upgrade later. If you’re going to just plink with it and shoot it a few times then it’s probably not a good investment.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
They really are worth it. It’s just like a custom center fire rifle, you know you are getting what you paid for. The cost is tough to swallow, but I think it all depends on how much time you’re going to invest in shooting it. For me I wanted to get into shooting some .22 matches at my gun club so I did not want to buy one the. Have the desire to upgrade later. If you’re going to just plink with it and shoot it a few times then it’s probably not a good investment.

I could absolutely see getting one if I shot PRS or the like and wanted an identically-packaged gun for training or .22 matches. My actual use will just be cheap trigger time, learning wind, enjoying the challenge of lobbing a .22 LR bullet a long ways, and when my kiddos get a little older, adjust the stock down and get them shooting. An RPR, GM/Shaw barrel and SWFA scope plus a healthy ammo budget would barely get me to the price of a Vudoo bare action, unfortunately.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I could absolutely see getting one if I shot PRS or the like and wanted an identically-packaged gun for training or .22 matches. My actual use will just be cheap trigger time, learning wind, enjoying the challenge of lobbing a .22 LR bullet a long ways, and when my kiddos get a little older, adjust the stock down and get them shooting. An RPR, GM/Shaw barrel and SWFA scope plus a healthy ammo budget would barely get me to the price of a Vudoo bare action, unfortunately.

The RPR will suit you fine.

WKR
Mine got a new stock today. Now it matches up with my hunting rigs very nicely. They are pretty fun and mine needs to see more trigger time when it warms up.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Been shooting the 22 a lot lately. This is what I keep getting at 100 yards, on a 1” circle. Is this good, bad or average? How’s everyone else doing?
f4159e365b37acdb981a1bab4b7266e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Been shooting the 22 a lot lately. This is what I keep getting at 100 yards, on a 1” circle. Is this good, bad or average? How’s everyone else doing?

I’d send that thing back, that’s horrible 😂. Assume that was using Eley Match?

I’m hoping to shrink my 100 yard group down close to that but I’ll be happy if I just get close.

Maybe we need a 22LR competition like Robby does with the archery?

Last edited:

WKR

Ryan, How many rounds total through your rifle so far? To me that seems like a really good 100 yard group there. Nice shooting.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan, How many rounds total through your rifle so far? To me that seems like a really good 100 yard group there. Nice shooting.

I have around 400 rounds down the tube. This group is with Lapua Center-X. It seems to like the Eley Match a little better but I ran out of them.

Not joking on the group size either, have no Idea on what a 22 is capable of at 100 yards. Hell, I don't even remember seeing a 100-yard group online before for 22s. haha.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have around 400 rounds down the tube. This group is with Lapua Center-X. It seems to like the Eley Match a little better but I ran out of them.

Not joking on the group size either, have no Idea on what a 22 is capable of at 100 yards. Hell, I don't even remember seeing a 100-yard group online before for 22s. haha.

I think that is a great group with a 22. I have a Kidd-barreled 10/22 that really likes the Lapua Center-X ammo. Although I have shot some tiny groups (or holes) with it at 50 yds, I have never been able to keep 10 shots in under an inch at 100 yds. Have you been able to duplicate that group?

WKR
Haven't shot mine at 100 yards much at all. This is at 50 yards. It seems to like the cheaper SK Standard Plus.

Will go longer when the weather warms up here.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I think that is a great group with a 22. I have a Kidd-barreled 10/22 that really likes the Lapua Center-X ammo. Although I have shot some tiny groups (or holes) with it at 50 yds, I have never been able to keep 10 shots in under an inch at 100 yds. Have you been able to duplicate that group?

I agree that is a great 10 shot group, I usually shoot only 5 shot groups and there is always that one flyer.

WKR
Keeping all 10 in 1" is going to be rough. Managed 9 out of 10 on both 10 shot groups. Need to get this thing out into a prairie dog town in a month or two. All up it is a pretty light rig for what it is. SK Standard Plus for these groups.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
So far I’m liking this new barrel, it really likes Eley Target and Lapua Center-X. Also wonder if investing in a rear bag is worth it, never used one before.

Eley Target: 1090ft/s. SD-7 ES-19

Now this just seemed too good on the Lapua Center-X but it didn’t group as well as the Eley but this is crazy.

Lapua Center-X:1062ft/s, SD-2 ES-5!!!

Few different brands to help break the barrel in. The SK was just ok and the Aguila, Blazer, Federal and CCI were ok for plinking.
89454CE7-DBBC-4227-8FBB-D0319FB063C0.jpeg

Orange circles are 1”

Eley Target 50 yard 5 shot group
9D0EDA1A-0737-4B08-ACFE-9825C0B00AA5.jpeg

Eley Target 100 yard 10 shot group and think barrel was ready for a cleaning at this point.
BC0239E2-2B60-48E1-9212-C5607A041154.jpeg

Lapua Center-X 50 yard 5 shot group, flyer was me.
4BCCEC54-9A3A-4AF3-A901-16168018CCDC.jpeg

Lapua Center-X 100 yards 10 shot group, barrel had over 300rds down the tube, need to get more of this.
EF77CC93-BA2E-4FCF-8974-8106D5BC071D.jpeg

Last edited: