.22LR Snakeshot for Grouse

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Alright bear with me on this one guys. I had a thought and Im wondering what you all think. Try not to bash me.

Would it be unethical or any way wrong to carry a cheap .22LR Revolver loaded with Snakeshot to hunt Grouse while Elk hunting in CO? I have a small game tag and last year I ran into a grouse that was easy to shoot if I didnt have a .300 PRC.

I'm looking for solutions to be able to pick up some camp meat should I run into a grouse while elk hunting and a thought came to my mind to use a .22LR with Snake shot. I didn't see any regulations in the CO Small Game book that says I can't.

What are ya'lls opinions about that and if it is a bad idea then any good ideas on how to legally take grouse while hunting that don't involve rocks or heavier shotguns?

grfox92

WKR
It absolutely will not work.

I've shot cottontail rabbits with 22lr snake shot from 10 yards away and they just run away. It wasn't a fluke and I didn't miss. We tried it 3 or 4 times.

I don't think there is any chance of killing a grouse with one. As mentioned a sling shot would be your best light weight option.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

My Dad once had me execute a rooster convicted of disturbing the peace and other offenses. A full magazine of .22lr shot at about 2 yards just bounced off his head and barely interrupted his search for bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar vision in the 70s. A 357 with snakeshot just dusted a couple of ruffed grouse. Over my early years I killed a lot of grouse with longs in a high standard pistol. Wasn't good for finishing off elk but was quite effective on grouse.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, never thought about a slingshot, wonder if there are any regulations against it. I’ll look into that. May just go with a standard .22LR round.

Also looking into maybe a lever action .22 or one of those breakdown .22 rifles thag breakdown into the stock. Still open to other ideas tho

22 pistol with a suppressor would be a sweet setup if that is a possibility.
I've thought about this very subject for the past 2 years & I struggle with this question: "is the chance of one good camp meal worth the risk of spooking an elk that will feed me for a year?" So far the answer has been no

TN2shot07

WKR
The only 22s I’ve seen even remotely effective with shot are the smooth bores. Also, buy the crimped ones and not the crappy plastic capped stuff. There is so little shot there already and the rifling seems to disperse it even more. Just pop them with a regular 22 and eat good!

def90

WKR
Use a subsonic .22lr round. You can shoot them all day and not make a huge commotion in the woods.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Get some paper and pattern that .22LR shot load.
You will see how ridiculous it is.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Like I said before, no way. maybe if you can get within 5 ft. even then I don't think there is enough shot density to get a clean kill. I have shot rattle snakes with .38 #6 shot at 10 ft. and not got a clean kill. To small and not enough shot to get it done. Like Flathead said, try it on paper.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Aight so definitely not going with the snake shot based on this. .22LR subsonic may be the move. I wish I could get a suppressor. Ill look into the slingshot since itll be the quietest but I like the consistency of a round vs a sling.