.22LR Snakeshot for Grouse

Phaseolus

WKR
I shot a grouse multiple times with snake shot out of a 44 Remington magnum at less than 5 yards. I ended up wringing his neck. Upon skinning I found lots of shot that had penetrated the skin but not any further. It’s a waste of time.

cnelk

WKR
If archery hunting, Just carry a Judo point in your pocket. When you see a grouse switch out the point and. Wack em.

Pro-tip: DO NOT SHOOT AT A GROUSE UP IN A TREE!

You’ll regret it lol

mt100gr.

WKR
I think snake shot would have worked fine on this one (or my toe!)....he followed me for a quarter mile, strutting and acting all kinds of pissed off when I wandered thru pulling cameras this past spring. He actually grabbed my pants leg and tried to beat me with his wings...but alas, it wasn't grouse season and the 10mm seemed a bit excessive even though he was aggressive....20220513_200601.jpg

Rich M

WKR
I have loaded 38 spc/357 mag snake shot. It will destroy a clay pigeon at 10-15 feet but not kill a quail.

.22 rat shot - nope. Use hollow points.

wytx

WKR
.22 pistol and sub sonics will work well.
Archery hunting I carry a judo or 2 tipped arrows and if you can throw with any accuracy sticks will get that arrow out of a tree, been there done that.

rayporter

WKR
22mag snake shot does work very very well on snakes at 6 ft. but more than that is a waste of ammo.

i have killed snakes with regular 22 shot but it took more than one shot.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Get yourself a Thompson contender with .410 barrel. Bulkier but easy to carry with shoulder holster. I have carried one when pig hunting.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yea im really leaning towards a cheapo light bolt action .22 or a .22 revolver and just run sub sonic ammo. Thanks for all the ideas!

sram9102

WKR
This is the sub-sonic stuff, should be quieter than the "quiet" CCI.

Other way around. The subs run just a hair over 1000 fps while the quiets run 700ish. The subsonics are still fairly loud without a can. The quiets are comically quiet suppressed out of a rifle.

I just discovered that Smith and Wesson makes an airlight .22mag revolver. Now THAT would be a fun secondary carry weapon during rifle season. As for noise, I just always head shoot grouse with my 30-06. Never seen any elk run away after pulling the trigger though, so I can't definitively say it scares them.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Found a Cricket .22 Youth rifle that only weighs 3lbs and can mount a scope, for like $150. Very tempting lol

Reactions: CCH

CCH

WKR
As has been noted, .22 shot cartridges are largely useless. Grouse are relatively tough. I have bounced large steel slingshot ammo right off of them. On the other hand, I drilled one in the back as it was going away with a blunt (.38 special case on a cedar arrow) and it dropped in its tracks. Almost any standard .22 ammo and headshots are the best. Headshots with 10mm works too, but are a bit loud, especially if you're so excited at the prospect of eating grouse that you don't throw on some hearing protection. 😏

Carried a .22LR in my bino harness while bear hunting just for this reason. Buy a few different brands/grains of subsonic and make sure they cycle your particular setup. Sub's are pretty darn quiet even without the funny tube attached. Head shots are always best, but shot this one through the side and did not lose any breast meat.

Attachments

• IMG_9117 2.jpg
    IMG_9117 2.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 30