22's Challenge times

renagde

WKR
Since MtnTough sponsors this forum I was checking out their workouts. Although I didn't purchase any of their fitness plans, I did check out their 22's challenge and Heavy Pack workouts which are a free download if you sign up for their newsletter. I'm curious as to what your 22's times are. I plan to try my first one tomorrow, looks like hell. We'll see how it goes and I plan to update later with my times and possibly keep a week to week log of times.

dano626

FNG
That heavy pack workout is tough, but fun! Helped me lose a ton of weight last year. Hurt my back sometime in early Oct last year and still dealing with a little pain and soreness but Ill be starting em up again in early June.

Ray P

FNG
Ive done it a few times. First time I believe I was around 45 mins. You are definately going to feel the burn.......it is alot of fun! Go light with the dumbells for the renegade rows!

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
I really regret starting this thread. I officially DNF. Got through the first half mile sprint, the jump lunges and pushups, and the second sprint but had nothing left in the tank to do the pushups with the renegade rows. I’m really surprised by the difficulty, I didn’t think it looked that hard on paper. I do quite a bit of pushups and jump lunges during my regular workouts but it didn’t seem to do much for me.

My goal is officially sub 30 by September.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Step 1) Sprint #1 — 0.5 mile
Step 2) Superset 1 — Lunge Jumps and Push-Ups (Every Round adds to 22 reps)
  • 20 LUNGE JUMPS – 2 PUSH-UPS
  • 18 LUNGE JUMPS – 4 PUSH-UPS
  • 16 LUNGE JUMPS - 6 PUSH-UPS
  • 14 LUNGE JUMPS – 8 PUSH-UPS
  • 12 LUNGE JUMPS – 10 PUSH-UPS
  • 10 LUNGE JUMPS – 12 PUSH-UPS
  • 8 LUNGE JUMPS – 14 PUSH-UPS
  • 6 LUNGE JUMPS – 16 PUSH-UPS
  • 4 LUNGE JUMPS – 18 PUSH-UPS
  • 2 LUNGE JUMPS – 20 PUSH-UPS

Step 3) Sprint #2
    — 0.5 mile
Step 4) Superset 2 — *Jump Squats and Renegade Rows (Every Round adds to 22 reps)
  • 20 SQUAT JUMPS – 2 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 18 SQUAT JUMPS – 4 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 16 SQUAT JUMPS - 6 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 14 SQUAT JUMPS – 8 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 12 SQUAT JUMPS – 10 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 10 SQUAT JUMPS – 12 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 8 SQUAT JUMPS – 14 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 6 SQUAT JUMPS – 16 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 4 SQUAT JUMPS – 18 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 2 SQUAT JUMPS – 20 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
*Add 10, 15, or 20lb dumbells to the renegade rows if you have access to them at home or in your hotel room.
Step 5) Sprint #3 — 0.5 mile

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
If you complete "The 22's" in 40-50 minutes...
This means you’re struggling with muscular and cardiovascular fatigue, it is time to for you to build a proper fitness foundation from the ground up!

If you complete "The 22's" in 30-40 minutes...
This tells us you have a good foundation, but probably have only been doing cardio. Honestly, most cardio workouts don't translate well at all to increased performance in the high country. It is time for you to start training specifically for the backcountry using exercises that focus on leg muscular endurance, balance, stamina, stroke volume, and mental toughness.

If you complete "The 22's" in 25-30 minutes...
Congrats, you have a competitive time! You are mountain ready but it is time for you to increase your mental fortitude so you can push hard when it matters most.

If you complete "The 22's" in less than 25 minutes...
This means you are an elite MTNTOUGH'er. Congrats! You are mountain ready and it is time to add more strength and explosive power.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Step 1) Sprint #1 — 0.5 mile
Step 2) Superset 1 — Lunge Jumps and Push-Ups (Every Round adds to 22 reps)

• 20 LUNGE JUMPS – 2 PUSH-UPS
  • 18 LUNGE JUMPS – 4 PUSH-UPS
  • 16 LUNGE JUMPS - 6 PUSH-UPS
  • 14 LUNGE JUMPS – 8 PUSH-UPS
  • 12 LUNGE JUMPS – 10 PUSH-UPS
  • 10 LUNGE JUMPS – 12 PUSH-UPS
  • 8 LUNGE JUMPS – 14 PUSH-UPS
  • 6 LUNGE JUMPS – 16 PUSH-UPS
  • 4 LUNGE JUMPS – 18 PUSH-UPS
  • 2 LUNGE JUMPS – 20 PUSH-UPS

Step 3) Sprint #2
    — 0.5 mile
Step 4) Superset 2 — *Jump Squats and Renegade Rows (Every Round adds to 22 reps)

• 20 SQUAT JUMPS – 2 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 18 SQUAT JUMPS – 4 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 16 SQUAT JUMPS - 6 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 14 SQUAT JUMPS – 8 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 12 SQUAT JUMPS – 10 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 10 SQUAT JUMPS – 12 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 8 SQUAT JUMPS – 14 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 6 SQUAT JUMPS – 16 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 4 SQUAT JUMPS – 18 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
  • 2 SQUAT JUMPS – 20 BODYWEIGHT RENEGADE ROWS
*Add 10, 15, or 20lb dumbells to the renegade rows if you have access to them at home or in your hotel room.
Step 5) Sprint #3 — 0.5 mile

Ok no wonder I didn't get anywhere on this workout. I did 20 jump lunges, 2 pushups. 19 jump lunges, 3 pushups etc, instead of decreasing/increasing by 2. Basically did double of the first superset. Definitely going to give this another go in a few days, I think I should be able to finish this workout now.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
about 40:35 tonight. A couple thoughts...

- it is a LOT of push-ups. 220 for the workout. It seems a way to drop your time is to bench a bunch. I never bench and won't start.
- my first 1/2 mile was in 5 mins. I was jogging trying to save up for the volume on my legs but that wasn't an issue. My last 1/2 was under 4 mins. I think you can come out pretty hard on the first run and be ok. I ran some stairs and walked home after!
- I used 8# weights for the renegades through the round of 14. Round 16-20 I did body weight and had to break them up.
- it's a good workout but not sure how much it tests "mountain fitness" with all the chest focus. Can't remember the last time I used my pecs in the mountains.

about 40:35 tonight. A couple thoughts...

- it is a LOT of push-ups. 220 for the workout. It seems a way to drop your time is to bench a bunch. I never bench and won't start.
- my first 1/2 mile was in 5 mins. I was jogging trying to save up for the volume on my legs but that wasn't an issue. My last 1/2 was under 4 mins. I think you can come out pretty hard on the first run and be ok. I ran some stairs and walked home after!
- I used 8# weights for the renegades through the round of 14. Round 16-20 I did body weight and had to break them up.
- it's a good workout but not sure how much it tests "mountain fitness" with all the chest focus. Can't remember the last time I used my pecs in the mountains.
I did the original 22's back in week 11 (on 15 now) of their program and was at 32:45.

I haven't ever taken more than a month off of lifting since high school sports and I can 1000% honestly say I have never been in as good of mountain shape as I am currently because of their workouts. I backcountry ski fairly often and this year's backcountry skiing is night and day easier than last year's. We're talking 5k vertical before lunch no problem.

Doing these MTN Tough workouts will definitely make your whole body more efficient and strong. Just gotta trust the process.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Fair enough. I’m all for people getting in shape. I was more looking at this specific workout as a test of my readiness and felt like it fell short of that.

The mix of cardio and body weight exercises I really enjoyed. I think swapping in something like pistol squats for some of the pushups would make things more interesting. Or higher volume of lunges and squats.

I’ll probably try this workout again later. It was fun to see my time.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
I really felt like the jump lunges worked my legs over unlike other workouts. My plan is to keep up with my kettlebell workouts, then do the 22's once a week to track my progression.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
It's a tough workout. My mind thought it could be done by my body definitely wasn't ready. Pride comes before the fall I guess haha. I couldn't even finish the renegade rows. To top it off I got a couple pretty bad muscle strains in my chest from over doing it and losing my form. I've been letting my body rest for a couple weeks but things are feeling much better and I'll be back at it tomorrow. September is coming up quick!

Gorp2007

WKR
Just got done in 34:40, their assessment that I'm basically all cardio is pretty spot on, ran the first 1/2 in 3:00 and did all the leg sets unbroken but had to break up the push-ups starting with 14 and the renegade rows starting at 12. The YouTube video was good because they clarify how to count your reps in the comments.

Now to go get better at push-ups...

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Just got done in 34:40, their assessment that I'm basically all cardio is pretty spot on, ran the first 1/2 in 3:00 and did all the leg sets unbroken but had to break up the push-ups starting with 14 and the renegade rows starting at 12. The YouTube video was good because they clarify how to count your reps in the comments.

Now to go get better at push-ups...

Thanks, I was about to ask about counting reps. I would have assumed that 1 squat jump rep = right + left. Also, I've always counted 1 renegade row as right/left/pushup = 1 rep. I was wondering how I'd ever get to 45 minutes, much less 25. Counting each side as 1 will definitely help. Still gonna be super tough.