22WMR vs. 17WSM for Bobcat

FLATHEAD

WKR
Wanting a new cat gun. I have a 22Mag, but is the 17WSM any better?
Shots definitely less than 100 yds., prolly more like 30-40.
I've never shot a cat with either one.
Restricted to rimfire on the state lands I hunt.
Thanks.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on availability and cost. I’d definitely go with the 17 and ballistic tips myself. Energy transfer on impact is the main consideration in my opinion.

I’m not a fan of the rim fire restrictions in states. It seems like a great way to let wounded animals run. I had a coyote get up and run the other day after getting hit with a .243 at 100 yards, around 1500lbs of energy at impact on a broadside shot with 3 legs to stand on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erict

WKR
I have shot a number of coyotes and fox with the 17 WSM at ranges out to 150 yards and have yet to lose one. The little boolit is moving pretty quickly and depending on shot placement it can tear up a fox hide. At the distances you are shooting, and assuming both are equally accurate, I would choose the 22 mag or, if allowed, a good shotgun set up. Good luck

Well if you want to keep the cat the 22mag is the way to go.
Shot and seen plenty shot.
22lr doesn't quite have the nuts for reliable use.
17 turns them inside out into a bag of bloody hamburger.

OP
F

FLATHEAD

WKR
Think I will just stick with the 22mag. and see how it performs.
Shooting 50gr. Federals but have some 40gr. CCI's. - both HP's.

B23

WKR
The 22mag bullets have very low BC and are about as aerodynamic as a bowling ball so they really start shedding velocity past 50yds and at 100 they only have around 150 ft-lbs of energy which isn't very much.

WCB

WKR
Personally Id go 22mag between the two just for ammunition availibility...17wsm you basically have Winchester and ballistic tips which could blow a big hole in a cat.

In reality I am on board with Dirtbag...get a shotgun with some copper plated bbs and go to town on the cats.

OP
F

FLATHEAD

WKR
I do sometimes carry my shotgun with #2's,,,more state reg. limitations.
Biggest shot size I can use.

Reactions: WCB

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
17 WSM is lights out on cats and dogs. Just under 3,000 FPS with the Hornady ammo and my 24” Ruger barrel. Actually going to be selling that rifle soon as I don’t kill 200+ cats and dogs anymore per year.

Some 4's or 5' should work fine on cats too. Personally I love the 17 either the hmr or wsm, just fun to shoot! I don't really see them being to hard on cats, for calling purposes? You should definitely get a 17, shoot a handful of cats with both guns and report back in the name of science/fun!

TheGDog

WKR
At those distances? Just use your .22 Mag you already have. Easy Peasy.

Or swap it out for a .17 HMR. The .17 HMR is a freakin lazerbeam as long as you're not in wind of any appreciable amount. And you can sight it in for like 125-150, so it's just put the reticle on em and go, just gotta remember to hold like an inch high when 25yd and under.

Rockrods

FNG
Under 50 yrds, shoot the 22mag. If 100 yrds use wsm. That being said have killed at 100yrds with the mag. Sounds like shots will be under 50 so shoot what you have in my opinion.

OP
F

FLATHEAD

WKR
Probably a moot point. At this rate I might as well not take a gun.
Haven't needed it yet.
Think I'm @ 3 dozen sets and have seen nothing with hair.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the exact opposite. Blows a softball size hole out the offside.
Are you shooting fmj?
I’ve shot 4-5 coyotes out to 150 yards in the chest with 17hmr using hornady 17gr ballistic tips. Pin prick of an entry and no exit hole. All of them didn’t go 10 yards before dropping… Wonder if you’re splitting ribs on entry and blowing out the other side once it hits something harder. Not much you can do about that though.

I’ve shot 4-5 coyotes out to 150 yards in the chest with 17hmr using hornady 17gr ballistic tips. Pin prick of an entry and no exit hole. All of them didn’t go 10 yards before dropping… Wonder if you’re splitting ribs on entry and blowing out the other side once it hits something harder. Not much you can do about that though.
I was referring to treed bobcats.
40ish yards, softball size exit