230 FPS Expandibles

I've always wanted to try expandable BHs but shoot a pretty slow old bow. What are your thoughts on the rage hypos +p @ 1.5 inches out of a bow shooting a 460 to 470 grain arrow @ 230FPS at deer and bears? Mule deer and WT out to 30 yds tops?

FYI, with fixed blade heads this same setup has shot through moose, elk, bears, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, deer etc. Why the change? Looking for a more on paper "forgiving November" arrow.

I guess like anything, you just have to "Try it"

Covey, No issues with 3-blade 1.5" Spitfires. Used them the fall of 2017 and shot quite a few black bears, one polar bear, a couple caribou, a Tule elk, some Coues bucks and a Dall sheep. They have all opened fine, mostly have passed thru with hits into the far shoulder or spine being the exception.

I like the accuracy, quality, (spin straight), blade sharpness, damage and blood trails.

Trial153

WKR
SevR 1.5 is great head. The original rocket Steelheads are as wells especially the 125s in 1 1/4. Nothing wrong with the 1 1/2 spitfires either.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
My son has been shooting rage + p since he started pulling 50 lbs.. he's up to 60 lbs now and gets pass throughs with them..
I personally don't like the pivoting blades on the sevr if one blade breaks the other will close ..
It may never happen but there's not much holding those blades open ..

OP
C
Thanks guys, I have some +XPs 1.5 that I may use, and may go try to pick up some spitfires as well. Only get one deer here so I may just use what I have as they're brand new.

Laramie

WKR
I have shot deer with several different expandables with various setups. They all worked great as long as I did my job. You have plenty of ke in your setup to shoot deer with expandables. Go hunt and have fun.

Wellsdw

WKR
Ive heard great things about sevr. But I’d Practice In November. I would fix my problem before covering it up. Also I’m not sure if mechanicals make up 80% of the market in my area, but they account for 80% of my tracking calls.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
Ive heard great things about sevr. But I’d Practice In November. I would fix my problem before covering it up. Also I’m not sure if mechanicals make up 80% of the market in my area, but they account for 80% of my tracking calls.
Would you attribute that to inexperienced hunters using mechanicals or the broadhead itself? I shoot mechanicals for deer because the deer I hunt are jumpy. I've never hit one where I was aiming due to the deer ducking and holding off isn't a good strategy imo. I've recovered some deer because of the wide cut mechanical that I think I would have lost with a 1 inch broadhead..

OP
C

my problem is excitement and at times bad form when it’s freezing cold. WT just amp me up like no other species. Almost 50 and they still give me buck fever!

AkRyan

WKR
My son has been shooting rage + p since he started pulling 50 lbs.. he's up to 60 lbs now and gets pass throughs with them..
I personally don't like the pivoting blades on the sevr if one blade breaks the other will close ..
It may never happen but there's not much holding those blades open ..
Have we ever seen a test were a sevr had a broken blade?

Wellsdw

WKR
Would you attribute that to inexperienced hunters using mechanicals or the broadhead itself? I shoot mechanicals for deer because the deer I hunt are jumpy. I've never hit one where I was aiming due to the deer ducking and holding off isn't a good strategy imo. I've recovered some deer because of the wide cut mechanical that I think I would have lost with a 1 inch broadhead..
Definitely many are inexperienced, or think “put a 2” hole in them and it doesn’t matter where you hit them”……not joking. But poor penetration, angle shots and failures account for some calls, from reputable people. Rage is what you hear the most, but are also readily available. So it’s hard to say

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
Have we ever seen a test were a sevr had a broken blade?
I'm just going by looking at one . I bought one to try. It may be fine but looks to me like a weak point .. if the blade did brake there's nothing keeping the other blade open..
It also looks like if even pressure isn't applied to each side the head could veer off as it's going through the animal.

AkRyan

WKR
I'm just going by looking at one . I bought one to try. It may be fine but looks to me like a weak point .. if the blade did brake there's nothing keeping the other blade open..
It also looks like if even pressure isn't applied to each side the head could veer off as it's going through the animal.
The pivot is actually what helps it go through the animal and not get deflected by bone or a more dense part of the animal. I was a long time fixed head guy and then I tried a few mech. The only blades that ever broke were rage when my arrow went through my broadhead target and hit the 3/4in plywood. We all have our own ideas on what works but real world results and testing speak for themselves.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
The pivot is actually what helps it go through the animal and not get deflected by bone or a more dense part of the animal. I was a long time fixed head guy and then I tried a few mech. The only blades that ever broke were rage when my arrow went through my broadhead target and hit the 3/4in plywood. We all have our own ideas on what works but real world results and testing speak for themselves.
Yeah I'd have to shoot them for awhile I guess.. I don't care if blades bend as long as they don't break.. I'm gonna be at the deer lease the next few days. I'll shoot a pig with the 1.5 sevr and see what kind of damage it does.. most of the reviews are positive..