243/6.5CM/7-08 WTH Do I Choose?

Once you learn to shoot with the .22, Shoot somebody else’s 30-06 with 180 grain bullets for a few sessions at the range. Then the 6.5 CM, .243, and 7-08 will all feel like they don’t recoil hardly at all. 😉😉

WKR
I see people buy cars and houses faster than most folks buy guns. Always kind of funny to me. Buy whichever of those 3 is in stock and there is ammo for. Commence shooting critters. Good luck.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
243 has been working for deer & Antelope for half a century. With modern bullets and powders it even more effective. Way more ammo options for 243 then the others.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
1. First choice. IMO you might do as well as, but you won’t do better than the T3X 6.5 Creedmoor for deer and antelope. Tikka is twisted right to handle bullet weights up to the 156 Berger, and there’s plenty of factory options for just about any bullet you wish to use.

2. T3X 7mm08 twist can handle the 150 ELDX and 150 ABLR. To reap the benefits you need to lengthen the bolt stop, and use a M+ mag that comes with #1 above, or a long action mag. Factory Hornady 150 ELDX is advertised at 2,770 which isn’t bad. Can get 2,800 fps+ with Big Game and the 150 if you handload to a longer COAL.

3. T3X .243 has slower twist that will preclude the longer heavier bullets, which is a mark against it when you consider what #1 and even #2 above offers. And if you’re going to shoot long distances, the longer heavier bullets carry the mail. One of the best bullets for this rifle choice IMO is the Nosler 95 ballistic tip.

#1 with factory 143 ELDX

1A0FF024-5292-4019-97CD-F81275AA6D14.png

#2 with factory 150 ELDX

6C2016C4-5C89-4136-BD27-236E62459775.png

#3 with factory 90 grain ELDX

155CFCE9-A2C7-4806-9C49-3CE90C22E138.png

I have a .243 ruger and a 6.5 bergara. The recoil of the .243 is obviously less but it's a marginal reduction at most. The day I bought the 6.5, I walked into the store to get a 7mm-08. I double checked the ammo on the shelf and it was about 2-1 between the 6.5-7/08., so I bought the 6.5.

Rat

FNG
All three of my kids started hunting around 10 years old with a 7mm-08. I personally think it's a better choice because you never know if you'll end up hunting some bigger game sometime down the road. There is a very wide variety of bullet weights that you can shoot with the 7mm-08.

TheGDog

WKR
.308 w/ 168gr is not for recoil sensitive people, or people with shoulder injury, in my opinion. I tolerate it, but don't like it. The 150's are a lot more tolerable.

Once the dust settles after paying taxes I'm thinking of getting a .243 Win as my new main caliber. Either that or 6.5cm. But I figure .243 Win so my boy can no doubt shoot it.

Last edited:

OXN939

WKR
Some may be agast to hear I've wrestled with caliber choice in a Tikka T3X Lite- it fit me best- for over a year.

I've been in every localish gun shop and read every forum/blog post (multiple times). I'm just horribly indecisive and only like to buy something once.

I don't want to hand load because I am a certified dumb-dumb. That limits me to off the shelf ammo- so maybe that knocks 7/08 down the list for me.

Only looking to do deer and pronghorn honestly. I'm in ID so take that list of game as you will. I've NEVER SHOT before, so I'm getting a .22lr shipped from some buddies to plink with but that won't cut it for hunting.

Too Long; Didnt Read: I'm scared the recoil of a 6.5/7-08 will be too much in a T3x Lite, especially since I want my sister to be able to shoot it. I don't want to brake my gun- and the 7/08 has less factory ammo on the shelves, but the .243 may be limiting? I want an enjoyable experience and dead game.

Thanks for putting up with my shenanigans!

.243 will do everything you describe perfectly well with more factory ammo choices available and less recoil.

To be clear, that video is not me saying .243 is the best elk round out there- however, it is plenty capable with the right projectiles. If you can find some Barnes TTSX 80 grain factory ammo and it shoots well in your rifle, you should really consider buying one or two hundred rounds. That load will give you more than enough horsepower for deer and antelope.

OP
Crowfeather
.243 will do everything you describe perfectly well with more factory ammo choices available and less recoil.

To be clear, that video is not me saying .243 is the best elk round out there- however, it is plenty capable with the right projectiles. If you can find some Barnes TTSX 80 grain factory ammo and it shoots well in your rifle, you should really consider buying one or two hundred rounds. That load will give you more than enough horsepower for deer and antelope.
Wow that video is awesome, definitely quells any doubt I had on the .243s capabilities. Thank you!

Zappaman

WKR
That is what I call a "trick" question ;) Given I have all three it comes down to what you are using it for.

Varmints up to ANY deer and the 243 is a proven killer. But elk out to a few hundred I'd go 140g CM or similar sized bullet in 7-08. If out west, the CM in a longer barrel (24"+) would get the nod as it's ballistics are pretty amazing at longer ranges.

I own a 243 for coyote and early deer (doe) hunting in a stainless 7lb. "run and gun" rifle (lightweight, plastic stock). I use this rifle to push brush away while I'm moving through thicker stuff, or whatever is in the way... this gun is as much "club" as it is "gun" and is one of my #1 field guns I use a lot here in Kansas.

My 260ai (close to the CM) is my long range gun. Lots of energy out to 500 yards or so if I feel like taking that shot (coyote usually), but deer can be killed at that range ethically. Barrel needs to be 24"+ for the longer shots though IMHO.

7-08 is an "in-between'er" and if I find myself in thicker stuff, it's got the knock-down advantage (especially in a shorter barreled rifle where I might be looking for a larger buck close in).

Rich M

WKR
Nothing wrong with a 243.

Nothing wrong with a lot of the slower speed light recoil rifles. I have a 243 and got a 350 Legend that I like better for tight spaces (250 yards and less), and a 357 magnum rifle that's good for 150 yards with reloads and special bullets.

TheGDog

WKR
That .350 Legend... correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I see of bullet weights and velocities and energy numbers... it's essentially same as a .30-30... just in straight-walled for those folks where regs say gotta be straight-walled, correct?