.243 90 gr Sierra Game Changer

Rich M

WKR
I just got some RCBS dies for 243 and ordered a small box (50) of the 90 gr Sierra Game Changer bullets for reloading. I have mostly 1x fired Federal brass been saving. 4350 powder from loading 3006. Rifle is 22 inch barrel Rem 770 that keeps Bluebox Federals inside 4 inches at 225 yards. Hope can load a slightly tougher bullet to a little more accuracy.

Anyone load and/or hunt with this bullet on deer?

ur shooting a factory 770 inside of 1” ten shot group at 100 With factory fodder?

dont change a thing!!

Not the 90-grain .243 bullet, but of all the bullets I tried from my 6.5 Grendel, the 130-grain Gamechanger had the best terminal results on game, and was also as accurate or more accurate than anything else I tried. I would expect the same from the .243 bullet and wouldn't hesitate to use it based on my experience with the 130 6.5, even when I was using it at the lower end of the velocity range.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
ur shooting a factory 770 inside of 1” ten shot group at 100 With factory fodder?

dont change a thing!!

Shot it at 100 to sight it then moved to 225 and can hit a fist/apple size target at that range most every time and I'm not exactly the best shot. It has the factory Bushnell scope with a super heavy reticle that is mounted on a rail. Crazy. Nice shooter, easy on the shoulder. Looking to get the rail off (my dad lok-tited it on) and put a better scope on there with some good mounts/rings. Be funny if it doesn't make a diff.

Wanting a better game bullet than the blue box soft point - shoulder shot a muley at 215 and barely got into the chest cavity. Energy was in the 1200 pound range and bullet performance just wasn't what I expected. Figure to reload a better bullet and hope for same or better accuracy.

Not the 90-grain .243 bullet, but of all the bullets I tried from my 6.5 Grendel, the 130-grain Gamechanger had the best terminal results on game, and was also as accurate or more accurate than anything else I tried. I would expect the same from the .243 bullet and wouldn't hesitate to use it based on my experience with the 130 6.5, even when I was using it at the lower end of the velocity range.

Thank you - that's what i was hoping to hear.

I have the 243 and hoping to add a 6.5 to the mix (light recoil, moderately heavier bullet) as a deer gun.

Shot it at 100 to sight it then moved to 225 and can hit a fist/apple size target at that range most every time and I'm not exactly the best shot. It has the factory Bushnell scope with a super heavy reticle that is mounted on a rail. Crazy. Nice shooter, easy on the shoulder. Looking to get the rail off (my dad lok-tited it on) and put a better scope on there with some good mounts/rings. Be funny if it doesn't make a diff.

Wanting a better game bullet than the blue box soft point - shoulder shot a muley at 215 and barely got into the chest cavity. Energy was in the 1200 pound range and bullet performance just wasn't what I expected. Figure to reload a better bullet and hope for same or better accuracy.

Thank you - that's what i was hoping to hear.

I have the 243 and hoping to add a 6.5 to the mix (light recoil, moderately heavier bullet) as a deer gun.
I gave up on my Grendel as a deer gun after seeing what I considered less than acceptable terminal results. The shortest recoveries - and the only ones with any kind of blood trail at all - were with the Gamechangers. The other bullets I tried penciled through and left literally zero blood. Recoveries were in some cases over 100 yards. Not what I expect from a textbook double lung rifle shot. The Grendel proved to be VERY different than what I am used to seeing from my 7.62x39, which is extremely effective on game in my experience. For a while, I had both in Howa Minis.

I went back to my 7mm-08 for deer this year and of the four I shot, the average recovery was about 35 yards. Two didn't take a step.

After what I experienced with the Grendel, I'd rather have the .243 with 90 grain gamechangers. At least that way you know the bullets are going to open up.

The 95g Gamechangers are reasonably accurate out of my 6mm Rem, but not as good as Nosler Ballistic Tips. I shoot them both in front of IMR 4831 which I bet would also be a good powder in your 243. I’ve never loaded IMR 4350 in that cartridge, but my notes show some loads that I got from the IMR website, so I’d recommend taking a look there for 243 Win loads data with that powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
I gave up on my Grendel as a deer gun after seeing what I considered less than acceptable terminal results. The shortest recoveries - and the only ones with any kind of blood trail at all - were with the Gamechangers. The other bullets I tried penciled through and left literally zero blood. Recoveries were in some cases over 100 yards. Not what I expect from a textbook double lung rifle shot. The Grendel proved to be VERY different than what I am used to seeing from my 7.62x39, which is extremely effective on game in my experience. For a while, I had both in Howa Minis.

I went back to my 7mm-08 for deer this year and of the four I shot, the average recovery was about 35 yards. Two didn't take a step.

After what I experienced with the Grendel, I'd rather have the .243 with 90 grain gamechangers. At least that way you know the bullets are going to open up.

This is some good stuff. Thanks.

Interesting to hear that. Did you kill anything with 108gr TMK or 123gr eld-m?

those two bullets would be first choice yeah?

I debated a good long while about what my deer/antelope rifle would be. Ended up wanting to use the 108gr. A 7 twist 243 came up and it felt like a no brainer.

after a month long mission with my mate over 3 states and a heap of tags filled and the truck bed full of meat, the 108gr eld-m is hard to overlook if you got the twist rate.

The only “hunting” bullet worth looking at is the “known” ballistic tips ie the 95gr And 120gr 7mm.

i know there’s guys out there that have shot animals in the thousands with normal hunting bullets that may argue otherwise, but I also know a good group of doods that shoot animals in the huge numbers that have made the switch the last 10-15 years and aren’t looking back.

Ndbowhunter, if your question is directed to me, I also shot quite a few animals with the 120 grain ELD-M, the 120 NBT's and the new 120 Speer Gold Dot. The only bullet I shot from that Grendel that I considered reasonably satisfactory was the 130 Gamechanger and even then they went further than most of my 7.62x39 kills with the 123 SST or the 160 FTX.

Everything else (deer and feral hogs) ran too far and left too little blood on the ground for me. I was very disappointed because I really wanted to like that Grendel and I really enjoyed loading for it and shooting it.

YMMV however.

So now my buddy has that Howa Mini Grendel for a range gun, and I went back to using the Howa Mini in 7.62x39. First deer I shot this year was a 100 lb. doe at 150 yards, with that rifle, and with a textbook double lung shot, she went less than 30 yards. That's what I have come to expect from that gun and that load. Just deadly.

Ndbowhunter, if your question is directed to me, I also shot quite a few animals with the 120 grain ELD-M, the 120 NBT's and the new 120 Speer Gold Dot. The only bullet I shot from that Grendel that I considered reasonably satisfactory was the 130 Gamechanger and even then they went further than most of my 7.62x39 kills with the 123 SST or the 160 FTX.

Everything else (deer and feral hogs) ran too far and left too little blood on the ground for me. I was very disappointed because I really wanted to like that Grendel and I really enjoyed loading for it and shooting it.

YMMV however.

So now my buddy has that Howa Mini Grendel for a range gun, and I went back to using the Howa Mini in 7.62x39. First deer I shot this year was a 100 lb. doe at 150 yards, with that rifle, and with a textbook double lung shot, she went less than 30 yards. That's what I have come to expect from that gun and that load. Just deadly.

interesting the game changer did so well. In theory it shouldn’t with it’s thicker jacket and lower velocity.

goes to show how much of inexact science this whole ball of wax is.

as for the grendel: it seems a fish nor foul type of cartridge. I’d rather run 556 77gr tmk for known performance in stanag confines, or if I’m determined to keep recoil down use a 6mm bullet and keep the velocity up.

Now if someone wants to make a dedicated 6br sized rifle, in stainless, with flush magazines I’m all in, till then fast twist 243 bolt gun works for me.

interesting the game changer did so well. In theory it shouldn’t with it’s thicker jacket and lower velocity.

goes to show how much of inexact science this whole ball of wax is.

as for the grendel: it seems a fish nor foul type of cartridge. I’d rather run 556 77gr tmk for known performance in stanag confines, or if I’m determined to keep recoil down use a 6mm bullet and keep the velocity up.

Now if someone wants to make a dedicated 6br sized rifle, in stainless, with flush magazines I’m all in, till then fast twist 243 bolt gun works for me.
Exactly. I had read things about the Gamechanger being a "harder" bullet, etc., etc. but I tried it anway, and after shooting about 8-10 pigs and deer with it, I was convinced it was a very good bullet for the Grendel. Things just went down quicker. Could just be dumb luck and that those Gamechangers hit better spots, but you tend to get a "feeling" about a bullet pretty quick based on what you see happen after the gun goes bang.

Agreed on your reasoning too. I just don't think the Grendel is going fast enough for the current crop of 6.5 bullets out there.

Oh, and sorry to derail the 90 grain Gamechanger .243 thread.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Not an issue.

Made me look up the Grendel. I'm considering the 6.5 creed. Would consider a halfway decent 7mm08 but they are hard to find guns and ammo for around here. Maybe used.

Liking the idea of a 130 gr bullet w low recoil but more velocity than the Grendel.

Read some stuff on SST bullet and see that it has some thicker sides too.

Also just read about sig selling the elite hunter in rifleman. Looks like an amber tipped game changer. 90 gr 243, 130 gr 6.5, and 165 gr 308. Description sounds the same, they don't have a cutaway side profile.

If I can get some decent performance out of it, might just do 243 and forget 6.5.

Got spoiled shooting 3006 all those years and just tired of recoil and having to focus hard on making a good shot. 243 is easy to shoot...

Not an issue.

Made me look up the Grendel. I'm considering the 6.5 creed. Would consider a halfway decent 7mm08 but they are hard to find guns and ammo for around here. Maybe used.

Liking the idea of a 130 gr bullet w low recoil but more velocity than the Grendel.

Read some stuff on SST bullet and see that it has some thicker sides too.

Also just read about sig selling the elite hunter in rifleman. Looks like an amber tipped game changer. 90 gr 243, 130 gr 6.5, and 165 gr 308. Description sounds the same, they don't have a cutaway side profile.

If I can get some decent performance out of it, might just do 243 and forget 6.5.

Got spoiled shooting 3006 all those years and just tired of recoil and having to focus hard on making a good shot. 243 is easy to shoot...
Great stuff. Honestly, the .243 will do just about anything the creed will do. And for whatever reason, I always thought the creed kicked above it's weight, which is why I just went back to the 7mm-08. I can't tell the difference in recoil between the creed and the 7mm-08 to be honest.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Even more good stuff! I appreciate your sharing.

Funny how all this stuff comes at a point where my hunting is slowing down due to lack of opportunity. Hoping to draw a decent local tag and shoot something else w 243 to test new bullets.

Might have to put wants on hold a bit.

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
Quick follow up as I own a beautiful Sako AII in the 243. Have killed only one goat with it. i see that Nosler makes the partition for 243. Would it not be a solid choice for this caliber and velocity?

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I've not tried the Game Changers, but have a load cooked up for .243 using GameKing 85 gr. HPBT's.

VERY accurate and seems to punch well above its weight class, up to large bodied mule deer and whitetail. There are scads of reviews online concurring with my results...

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
MLG - the NP in 100 gr actually has some folks who say it doesn't penetrate as well as the 95 grain. Baffling.

The premise with the NP is instant expansion and then the rear core - works as designed but I only got about 8 inches of penetration with a 100 gr soft point in 2019 (yes, thru shoulder). Not so sure the NP would go deeper. A tougher bullet with less expansion would presumably keep trucking. Does this make sense? Where my mind is - not sure if that's the correct way to think about it.

Wily - I've seen 5-10+ positive reviews for every negative one on the GK 85 HPs. Is that your primary deer load?

I'm switching from 2900-3000 fps 150 gr Sierra Pro Hunter 30-06 and that load just plain flattens them.
Not expecting that kind of instant kill w 243, primarily hoping for better penetration that I get with the Federal 100 gr soft points.

Also not sold on all copper bullets. They would be my choice for elk but I'm not elk hunting.

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve
MLG - the NP in 100 gr actually has some folks who say it doesn't penetrate as well as the 95 grain. Baffling.

The premise with the NP is instant expansion and then the rear core - works as designed but I only got about 8 inches of penetration with a 100 gr soft point in 2019 (yes, thru shoulder). Not so sure the NP would go deeper. A tougher bullet with less expansion would presumably keep trucking. Does this make sense? Where my mind is - not sure if that's the correct way to think about it.

Wily - I've seen 5-10+ positive reviews for every negative one on the GK 85 HPs. Is that your primary deer load?

I'm switching from 2900-3000 fps 150 gr Sierra Pro Hunter 30-06 and that load just plain flattens them.
Not expecting that kind of instant kill w 243, primarily hoping for better penetration that I get with the Federal 100 gr soft points.

Also not sold on all copper bullets. They would be my choice for elk but I'm not elk hunting.
i Have killed a few elk in larger caliber with 150 and 160 partitions as well as many many deer. I also am looking to downsize a bit and am always looking for a good option for my 243. It is my favorite rifle in the safe but I just do not take it out, always opting for something bigger. I was looking at the Nosler site a few days ago and noted that the old reliable is avail in the 243. Maybe one of these other is a better option.

Not to hijack, but on the grendel front I would try the 129gr ABLRs. Open down to 1300fps. My one test subject this year was thoroughly convinced in not much over 10yds (shot from 138yds)... AND that was out of a pistol!
2.5-3" exit and that was all she wrote.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
I’ve

i Have killed a few elk in larger caliber with 150 and 160 partitions as well as many many deer. I also am looking to downsize a bit and am always looking for a good option for my 243. It is my favorite rifle in the safe but I just do not take it out, always opting for something bigger. I was looking at the Nosler site a few days ago and noted that the old reliable is avail in the 243. Maybe one of these other is a better option.
I think we're in the same boat. I'm tired of 3006 and want to go lighter.

Nosler has 85, 95, and 100 grain partitions in 243. They are as fine a bullet as the larger calibers and will do the job credibly.

243 is fun to shoot, light on the recoil and very accurate. What's not to like?