243 Ammo - Whats a good quality bullet?

OR Archer

WKR
I am going to be mentoring my buddy's 9 year old son on a spring bear hunt coming up in April. He will be using a 243 and Im looking for some good quality factory loads. Range of shots will be 200 yards or less. More than likely they will be at 100 yards. I am not familiar with whats available in this caliber for bullet weights etc. So any good recommendations would be appreciated.

Whisky

WKR
It depends on your barrel twist....Probably will be tough to find loaded ammo with the 100+ gr 243 bullets though, even if your barrel can stabilize them.... You may be limited to 85-100gr ammo based on availability since i'm assuming you don't reload. TSX, TTSX, and Amax would suit you well....The 95 gr Berger Hunting VLD would suit you well too. I think HSM makes some factory loaded ammo with that bullet.

Beastmode

WKR
Sorry didn't see factory. I would look at the Ttsx or partition. You can't beat good ol remington corelokt for the price though. I think you can get those in 100 grain

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
Wont shoot CoreLoks ever again. Never was impressed with those.

I was looking at the Federal Fusion in 95gr or the Federal Vital Shock which is a Nosler Partition in 100gr. Any thoughts on these two rounds?

Chad E

WKR
I would highly recommend going with the partition. I've shot bears with both corlocks and partitions no comparison in bullet performance.

Shrek

WKR
OrArcher , I have had the 95gr fusions shatter and fail to penetrate twice and I only shot two small deer with them so 100% failure rate. I retrieved both small does but only after LONG tracking jobs. Shattering on small 90lb does is most unimpressive ! I don't shoot fusions or the 243 anymore . If I was going to hunt any large animal with a 243 win it would be with Nosler Partitions.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
My family has killed a bunch of critters over the years with 100gr Hornady BTSP's. This is including black bears, oryx, and wildebeest. We reload our own, but they should be available in some of the factory Hornady ammunition.