243 bullet choice

Chromeslayer

Lil-Rokslider
Lookin for some help on picking a bullet for a 243 for whitetail.. iv never been a fan of the round but starting out my 7yr old boy this yr and hes not ready to handle my 300wsm.. always been a fan of the nosler accubonds or ballistic tips.. is there something else i should be considering for this round? More than likely i wont be reloading for this gun either but can get ammo loaded with accubonds, ballistic tips, eldx, eldm, berger classic and vld

I’ve had good luck with Hornady 95 gr sst on Texas white tails. I’m sure any decent hunting bullet would do the job though.
I’ve seen the Norma whitetail ammo a few places online for a decent price considering the current ammo situation, might be worth giving a try.

Not fancy, but the Remington core loks have all been one shot kills for my son the past two seasons- 5 deer total and they’ve all gone less than 75 yards.

Haakon14

FNG
My son is shooting the Rem Core Lokt's as well. I believe those are 100gr, but would have to run downstairs to check. Two deer this season, both about 40-50y shots. One through heart/lungs other was thru both lungs. Both deer went no further than 40 yards. Penetrated fully through so the bullets weren't recovered but expansion appeared very good based on hole in the heart muscle tissue as well as exit holes.

mncoolbeans

Lil-Rokslider
My 15 year old Daughter's first Whitetail Deer Hunt this past Fall used the 95-grain Federal Fusion.

She harvested a nice Big Doe about 60-yards out, Complete Gel inside of the Heart and Lungs. Doe went about 40-yards and Dropped.

Proud Dad Moment!

Seth

WKR
Winchester ballistic silver tip 95gr have worked very well for many years and made a lot of meat for my family and I.

Any 85+ grain big game bullet will do a great job of killing deer out of a .243. That being said I love 95 and 100 grain partitions because they always exit, which makes blood trailing easier when necessary. I’ve also killed deer with 95 grain fusions, ballistic tips, and regular cup-and-core 100 grain soft points. They’ve all killed fast, but they haven’t been as durable at close range as the partition

OP
C

Chromeslayer

Lil-Rokslider
My biggest concern is getting a bullet that will hold together for a pass through.. it seems like everyone i know that deer hunts with a 243 they either drop in there tracks or they get a pin hole entry and no exit wound and no blood trails

Eyeman

FNG
Have a 243 that my kids cut there teeth on for Mule Deer.
Plenty other friends kids have used it as well. We Have taken lots of Deer. Heck I use it myself some.
Knock on wood, If they don't miss we have never had one get away.
Always have used a 95 or 100 grain. All 100 to 300 yards.

Eyeman

FNG
Have a 243 that my kids cut there teeth on for Mule Deer.
Plenty other friends kids have used it as well. We Have taken lots of Deer. Heck I use it myself some.
Knock on wood, If they don't miss we have never had one get away.
Always have used a 95 or 100 grain. All 100 to 300 yards.
Would also like to add I had a break added recently, really reduced the recoil. Should have done it awhile ago.

As others have said, coreloks in 243 are bad news on deer. Id guess my little ruger 243 with coreloks have killed north of 200 deer. My all time favorite deer round for sure.

Tedhunts

FNG
Barnes .243 TTSX 80 grain..... we have killed numerous deer with that round. Its fast, 3,350 muzzle velocity and hits hard for a small bullet. Most were pass throughs with good blood trail or DRT. I moved my wife up to a bigger caliber ( 7-08/ and now 6.5 Creed) in end both have similiar recoil, but have selection of bigger bullets ( 120GR).

Tedhunts

FNG
Something else to add... I have had a poor experience(s) with Remington Core .243. More than one deer was hit terminally here , but very small hole in and no hole out has led to major tracking challenges... No Blood ( barely a drop) and thick woods has caused more than one deer to end up as dinner for coyotes...

Jethro

WKR
Of course Partition is great. But these days hard to find in stock anywhere. My daughter used 100g Norma Whitetail this past season. Sighted in well out of her savage and killed a deer just as quickly as the partition in 2020.

Performance was good. 60 yards, shattered rib on way in, took out back of heart, exited between ribs on opposite side.

OP
C

Chromeslayer

Lil-Rokslider
Something else to add... I have had a poor experience(s) with Remington Core .243. More than one deer was hit terminally here , but very small hole in and no hole out has led to major tracking challenges... No Blood ( barely a drop) and thick woods has caused more than one deer to end up as dinner for coyotes...
Iv seen this alot with some of the people that i know that use 243 and why im not really a fan of the round for deer... but my boy is only 7 so i need a small cal

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Core Lokt. Couldn't tell you how many that old Remington has killed, but it's been a bunch