.243 copper

2ski

WKR
So I'm gradually changing to all copper for my rifles. The only one I have left is my .243. When I look online all I see is 85gr factory loads. I've been shooting 100gr with no issues with dropping deer and antelope with one shot generally. Would that 85gr do me okay? It feels like I'm getting down into predator hunting range.

85gr mono will be plenty for deer/antelope. If you handload look into the hammer bullets.

Have a very accurate .240W build from a 700 action. Go-to has been 80 TTSX @ 3540fps since Barnes dropped the 85 grain X Bullet. Can't imagine a deadlier 6mm bullet for a 1/10" twist barrel. Also get the very cleanest of pass throughs.

Would not hesitate to kill elk with it.

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 8.44.34 AM.png

What twist barrel do you have? Speed definitely helps monos , especially in smaller calibers. 85 gr is plenty. Copper Bullets are longer for weight than lead so a higher twist is needed if going heavy.

if you want heavy look at the Sledge Hammer line, they work in slower twists and expand at lower velocity

OP

2ski

WKR
The twist rate is a good question. This was my first gun I got at 12 years old. So its been awhile ago. It's a savage.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
All-copper slugs aren’t as dense as lead, therefore they’re generally longer comparing same weights. Example: 85 grain all-copper is going to be longer than an 85 grain lead core bullet of similar profile. A barrel’s ability to stabilize at a given twist is largely based on projectile length. Therefore, when going all-copper, you’re going to run into stability issues at a given twist rate, while increasing projectile weight, before you will with like-weight lead core bullets.

Your twist rate will dictate how “heavy” you can go, but that’s by way of increasing projectile length.

All that aside, those 85 TSX will do you just fine in a 243 that stabilizes them, 80 TTSX too. Copper monos generally prefer higher impact velocities for killing/wound channel purposes. Increasing the projectile mass weighs against you there, if you get my drift.