243 for elk

OP
T
It’s isn’t 1895. Projectiles that exist now, weren’t even fathomable 50 years ago, let alone 130 years ago. Interestingly, there wasn’t a single projectile in 1906 that could be loaded in a 30/06 that can do what any number of 6mm projectiles can do now. I only watched 6 elk get killed this year out to 735 yards and the largest cartridge used was a 6.5 CM. No issues.

I’m a fan of killing without fuss and the least amount of rodeos possible. Whether it’s extremely experienced hunters and shooters, or first year people, as recoil goes up, so to do poor outcomes.
In multiples of hundreds of animals killed with very small .224 cartridges to extremely large 338’s, the cartridge/bullet combo that has had the least amount of screw ups, and hence the highest shot to kill rate is the 223-77gr TMK. Next, has been the 243 with a couple of different bullets. The cartridges with the most missed shots, most wounded animals, most tracking, most lost animals that were hit, and most rodeos are all magnums; and magnums with monos especially.

I’m not a pea shooter advocate, I’m a whatever results in the most kill success advocate. The first one hundred or so deer I killed were almost entirely with 300 magnums because those who taught me believed they were so much better. Having killed a lot more since then, and having seen a lot more killed since then, “bigger is better” has not played out at all.
Being that you are really into bullet selection what bullet would you load and what range would you keep it to.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I trust what you say a whole lot because I've read into that thread and it appears to me like you have a wealth of knowledge in ballistics and killing so what do you say would it be ok for probably just one or maybe maybe two elk if I placed my shots correctly

Without question a 6mm will kill elk cleanly at normal ranges if put into the front half, just like every other caliber. I tend to suggest 6.5’s like the Creedmoor as a happy middle ground that have way more than enough terminal effects to assuage the it’s too small people, and not so much recoil that most people will screw up shots as much as larger cartridges/calibers.

There isn’t an elk alive that I would hesitate to hunt and kill in the RM west with a 243 and good bullets out to 450-500, and with the best bullets out to 600’ish.

With a 1-10” twist Tikka; the 95gr NBT, 95gr and 100gr Nosler Partition, and the 90gr Swift Scirocco is where I would look. With those 450+/- yards is a good range. Given the rifle and parameters for elk I would start with the two Partitions. Good wound channels and most likely to get an exit. I would not use a mono no matter how often they are suggested, as they create relatively narrow wounds and kill slower on average than others. Those bullets I suggested above will all penetrate deep enough for elk, even through bone, and from what I’ve seen most of the modern belief that smaller cartridges are marginal is from using bullets that create narrow wounds.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Learn to shoot from field positions very quickly, keep ranges inside your on demand performance level, keep shooting until the animal stays down, use a good bullet, and put it into the front half. There will be a dead elk laying on the ground.

That applies whether shooting a 223 or 300 RUM.

OP
T
Without question a 6mm will kill elk cleanly at normal ranges if put into the front half, just like every other caliber. I tend to suggest 6.5’s like the Creedmoor as a happy middle ground that have way more than enough terminal effects to assuage the it’s too small people, and not so much recoil that most people will screw up shots as much as larger cartridges/calibers.

There isn’t an elk alive that I would hesitate to hunt and kill in the RM west with a 243 and good bullets out to 450-500, and with the best bullets out to 600’ish.

With a 1-10” twist Tikka; the 95gr NBT, 95gr and 100gr Nosler Partition, and the 90gr Swift Scirocco is where I would look. With those 450+/- yards is a good range. Given the rifle and parameters for elk I would start with the two Partitions. Good wound channels and most likely to get an exit. I would not use a mono no matter how often they are suggested, as they create relatively narrow wounds and kill slower on average than others. Those bullets I suggested above will all penetrate deep enough for elk, even through bone, and from what I’ve seen most of the modern belief that smaller cartridges are marginal is from using bullets that create narrow wounds.
I shoot a 95 grain hornady sst and have had absolutely incredible performance would you suggest that for elk or is there something wrong with it. I'm pretty inexperienced in bullet choice and caliber as I've always shot deer with my 243. I really appreciate your feedback and time spent answering all these dumb questions.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I shoot a 95 grain hornady sst and have had absolutely incredible performance would you suggest that for elk or is there something wrong with it. I'm pretty inexperienced in bullet choice and caliber as I've always shot deer with my 243. I really appreciate your feedback and time spent answering all these dumb questions.

The SST has a bit too little penetration for me to feel comfortable as a general elk bullet for most. Rib shots will likely be dramatic in a good way, however if you hit the humerus/scapula junction (the “knuckle) it will probably make it into both lungs, but barely. For elk and a 1-10” twist barrel I would suggest one of the bullets I wrote above with the Partitions being most forgiving of all shots.

OP
T
Thank you I'll just buy some partitions if I get to go. I live in arkansas so none of my shots are going to be far at all compared to what others shoot elk at

All of the shot placement arguments aside assuming everything doesn't go perfect which is what you owe the animal you need to understand that the 243 on Elk has limitations. Most experts agree that ethical kill energy
at impact on an elk is 1000 ft.lbs. This should be above any personal preference for caliber.

The quick answer is that the 95 grain .243 will be lethal at any of those distances provided the shooter places the shot well and doesn't hit bone.
For a 95 grain bullet (BC = .405) at Mv 3000 fps, the retained velocities and energies are:
400 yards = 2102 fps/ 931 ft.lbs
600 yards = 1712 fps/ 618 ft. lbs

243 is an excellent Deer round but really shouldn't be used over 250-300 yds on Elk. Any experienced Outfitter will tell you that. If you plan on shooting no farther than 200 yds it will be great. The last thing you want to do is chase a wounded elk. Unlike Deer , they go for miles. I haven't had this pleasure but I know people that have spent all day chasing a wounded elk. Why chance it?

I personally don't have the great fortune to live in Elk country and usually only have a week to hunt so I don't like my caliber to be the limiting factor and want the flexibility to shoot out to 500 yds which I frequently practice to. Thus why I like the 300 RUM - 300 WM.

LLB

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said, a .243 can do it within reason. But I'll tell you, a 30-06 is never a bad solution to most hunting scenarios (y) .

Mosby

WKR
I knew an Idaho guide that told me he killed over 30 elk with a 243. A rusty old Browning BLR lever action.

"I knew an Idaho guide that told me he killed over 30 elk with a 243. A rusty old Browning BLR lever action."

Many a rancher or local have killed many elk with 243 and 270 but they are not Non Residents coming in
for one week of Elk hunting trying to maximize their opportunity on Elk that week. If you can pick an choose when / where to go out under perfect weather conditions you could kill an elk every year with a 243 or less. If he is going to spend the $, time and effort to go elk hunting from Arkansas he would be better off with something that can reach out farther.

OP
T
"I knew an Idaho guide that told me he killed over 30 elk with a 243. A rusty old Browning BLR lever action."

Many a rancher or local have killed many elk with 243 and 270 but they are not Non Residents coming in
for one week of Elk hunting trying to maximize their opportunity on Elk that week. If you can pick an choose when / where to go out under perfect weather conditions you could kill an elk every year with a 243 or less. If he is going to spend the $, time and effort to go elk hunting from Arkansas he would be better off with something that can reach out farther.
No I might one day go out of state to hunt elk but I'm applying for a tag here in arkansas in boxley valley there are lots of them photographed them several times

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
I trust what you say a whole lot because I've read into that thread and it appears to me like you have a wealth of knowledge in ballistics and killing so what do you say would it be ok for probably just one or maybe maybe two elk if I placed my shots correctly

For 1-2 elk, Absolutely. I would recommend a Barnes or nosler partition and only shoot broadside shots out to about 350 yards.

If the primary roll of your new rifle is smaller game then get one that accomplishes your goals.

If you’re planning to replace the stock on your 243 and have a 2 rifle option you could get a 6.5, 270, or 30 caliber.

My all around gun is a 270 win and I have not had an elk deflect any of my bullets. In fact they all died in short order.

What you will find in these type of threads is that there are two types of people out there. The magnum guys who promote heavy calibers and the non magnum guys who promote accuracy and shot selection. The two cant seem to agree on anything on this topic...

Logan T

WKR
I’ve got a 20 year old Ruger Ultralite 243 I bought when I was 11 years old as my 1st big game rifle…… It got the job done for many years with “the deadliest mushroom in the woods” (100 grain Remington Core-lokts).

It has sat in the closet now since high school, when i bought a 300wsm. Not because it is incapable but because I grew into a larger caliber gun. It brought home every elk it shot at, every single year. I plan on it being my kids’ first big game rifle as well.

You’ll be just fine with a 243 and what I would imagine is even deadlier ‘shrooms’ in today’s ammo line up, as long as long as you aren’t a dink about when to/not to squeeze the trigger.

I would just recommend taking the guessing out of it and buy a 7mm rem mag or equivalent. Elk are tough critters. Chances do increase with a smaller cartridge to slip up the shot and wound, I personally prefer to err on the bigger side. Just my honest opinion nothing more

Mosby

WKR

I agree.

woods89

WKR
In these types of discussions, I like to think about the .50 and .54 cal guys of days gone by who likely told other hunters "elk are tough, don't mess around with those .45 cal pea shooters."

Along the way, something changed. I think it will probably continue to change. Because we aren't shooting round balls or even round nose's any more. There are some awesome bullets out there these days.

And there is certainly nothing wrong with a 30-06 (or 300 WM, or etc.) but how many of you enjoy shooting 50-100 rounds a session with one? Is that not worth something?