.243 Opinions

Phaseolus

WKR
Thanks, guys!

Great input.

What it comes down to is that I really need to get used to the fact that I'm using a smaller, less powerful bullet now as opposed to the 30-06 of the previous 41 seasons. I just shoot the .243 more easily and it's a good shooting gun.

The possibility for a 200 yard run is what i want to avoid if near property lines. My buck from last year was 215 yards out and about 100, maybe 150 yards from the property line, high shoulder shot stunned him, he peg legged say 20-25 yds and I hit him thru lungs as soon as he stopped, dropped. Iff'n the first bullet had penetrated another 4 inches, it would have dropped him right there - the ballistic numbers say it had about 1,300# of energy at impact. A lung shot was too risky for the first shot in that circumstance as he could have easily gone onto private.

Just ordered 30 mm rings to mount a diff scope on it and some 100 gr Partitions for the loading bench to play with - also have a small box of Sierra game Changers 90 gr for reloading. May try reloading TTSX.

Also have factory loads - Federal Blue Box, Core Lokts, TTSX, and SSTs.

Yes - making a science project out of it.
Hmm, My Wife has shot 10 or 12 cow elk with her .243 using 100 grain partitions...

Lawnboi

WKR
Between the wife an I 5 died to the 243, using factory hornady precision hunter. Good performance, just keep it off the shoulder as it’s a little softer of a bullet. Small sample size but just a data point for a pretty new factory round.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Hmm, My Wife has shot 10 or 12 cow elk with her .243 using 100 grain partitions...

Kudos to your wife. I do know that a LOT of folks shoot elk with the .243. Seems like a small pill for a big animal - and yes, it is where you place it.

Used to know a guy who shot a 600# wild hog with a .243 as well.

2five7

WKR
If you really want DRT I'd reccomment a Nosler 95gr BT or the Hornady ELDX to the lungs. Something explosive on impact
+1. Too many people still focus on weight retention and penetration. Load up some Berger classic hunters, shoot them in the neck or high shoulder and watch them drop.

Yes, you're asking too much of a bullet. You can have a perfectly placed bullet from a 7 or 30 mag grenade in the honey pot turning lungs and heart to jelly and some animals will still stay on their feet for a bit.

If you're looking for an animal to be incapacitated in short distance, the last thing I'd do is look for a tough 6mm that is going to zip right through them (barnes). Give me something that's going to fragment and cause the most tissue damage.

jmav58

WKR
I think ur gonna have to shoot them in the brain to get anything that kills quicker then that.
Shot my MT buck this year in the back of the head since he was bedded facing away and I was tired of waiting for him to stand up. Shot him with a 100 gr Federal Premium Gameking out of my .243.

Attachments

• deer euro.JPG
    deer euro.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 78
  • deer in field.JPG
    deer in field.JPG
    446 KB · Views: 77

mcseal2

WKR
I've used the 243 a lot on whitetail during antlerless season when I can be really patient and picky with my shots.

The bullet I'd choose for deer hunting with the 243 would be the 90gr Accubond. I've taken several deer with it and none travel more than 80 yards. There had always been a decent exit wound too. It's a tougher bullet than some others I've used for better penetration if it hits bone or the shot angle isn't perfect. It's also a quick opening bullet for good shock. I've shot a pile of coyotes with it, it opens fast and puts them right down also.

I've used the 85gr Sierra Gameking a lot too. It has always done well for me, but I'm really picky on shot angle. I want a pure broadside lung shot with it. It usually exits if it doesn't hit bone, but it's not a tough bullet. The BC is also pretty low for wind. It has been a really accurate bullet for me in several rifles.

I got to test the 87gr Berger when it was being developed. It did well on deer but never exited. I never needed a blood trail, they fell right away. It opened to slowly on coyotes I thought. They ran further than I liked at times. It's designed to penetrate 2-3" before opening and that's pretty deep in a broadside coyote.

I’ve had good luck with both 100g Partions and 85g Gameking HPBT’s on big whitetails and at 200yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My wife shoots 200 plus lb bucks every year in Minnesota with a .243 CoreLokt. Have yet to have to track one more than 100 yards into the woods.

Bowhunter-tw

Lil-Rokslider
.243 seems to be a great deer cartridge, I took a whitetail with my dad's .243, died in seconds.

Calbuck

WKR
Ok ok..nobody else has said it yet..Get yourself a nice 30.378 Weatherby and a 250 gr bullet going 33oo feet per second and blaze away..

Kidding aside, if you shoot that .243 well, you are getting great advice in this thread. I just had to be the smartass to bring up the cannon. you'll do well by following these guys (y)(y)(y)

OXN939

WKR
Kudos to your wife. I do know that a LOT of folks shoot elk with the .243. Seems like a small pill for a big animal - and yes, it is where you place it.

Used to know a guy who shot a 600# wild hog with a .243 as well.

What you're describing in your original post is a copper mono. The reason you didn't have a blood trail is likely that your bullet fragmented, at least partially, slowing down in the vital cavity without leaving an exit and losing mass. Copper monos almost never do either. This is a picture of a Hornady GMX 80 grain .243 out of a relatively slow 20" barrel I recently tested. If the TTSX factory load didn't shoot adequately and you don't want to find the right seating depth for your rifle, you may want to try the Hornady Outfitter series of ammo.

20200312_165539.jpg

20200312_165525.jpg

Wassid82

WKR
I think I've shot more deer with a 243 than any other cartridge. I've had good success with barns, federal, and Sierra bullets. I really like the 90-100 grains to do a great job at quick kills and I love that It saves tons more meat.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
I appreciate the advice. Looking for the right load right now as able.

I've recently shot Hornady SST and got a 3 inch group at 100, a federal monolithic 80 gr at 200 and had a 4+ inch group, federal blue box as a control group at had 1-1/16 inch group at 100.

Aside from those, working on Sierra gamechanger 90 gr and nosler partition 100 gr loads. Had 2 powder charges with 1 inch on the GC and a 1.5 inch NP load. Tried a handful of diff loads.

Contemplating a chrono but may just keep working up the loads by shooting 5 shot groups w diff charges and bullet lengths til all works out.

I had great luck with hornady sst 95gr. Not a long range bullet but it worked awesome out to 400yds