243 or 223 best for varmint hunting

I use a 243 but can’t say it’s better or anything. But I can use it for than just yotes. I have shot a deer with it also

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
.243 was the first rifle I ever got and it was my whitetail gun. It turned into my varmint gun when my 223 gave me some problems one day and I haven’t looked back since. They both knock down predators but I feel like the 243 has a little more room for error, unless you’re trying to save pelts.

.243 was the first rifle I ever got and it was my whitetail gun. It turned into my varmint gun when my 223 gave me some problems one day and I haven’t looked back since. They both knock down predators but I feel like the 243 has a little more room for error, unless you’re trying to save pelts.

I also have both and find myself shooting the 243 more for the added knockdown power, especially at longer ranges. Plus the 243 is my deer gun so the extra trigger time is a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoDaky

WKR
Both work.So many variables(wind,trajectory,pelt damage,cost,etc)it's near impossible to answer.More info on your area,purpose etc would help.

Terrapin

WKR
I had too many coyotes run off after being well hit with 22 caliber bullets at extended ranges. I was trying to earn a living off of pelts so it hurt the bottom line. I switched to a 6mm Rem and the problem went away. Pelt damage wasn’t bad if I used a controlled expansion bullet and shot them thru the lungs, not guts, shoulder or head. I still use 224 bullets when I anticipate ranges between 70 and 300 yards. Closer than that I use a shotgun.

Tshug

FNG
I love the 22.250.super flat shooting and fast as well.. 243 is better in windy conditions but more expensive.. 223 is nice and cheap but not as flat shooting as 22.250. Also depends if you want to keep the cape or not.

All round .243 hands down but the .243 or 22-250 are the top predator caliber you can get ammo that are fur friendly in any caliber I’ve seen holes blown in coyotes all the same from 22nosler,.223,.204,22-250,243,6mm creed etc it’s all about bullet selection and speed

daymoney

FNG
I shot a 1-14tw .243 with 55gr bullets that went really fast. It was absolutely deadly on coyotes.

Mt Al

WKR
Obviously both work really well, IMHO, if you're stopping at coyotes vs., say, going up to wolves. Just for me, I used the .223 for years because of inexpensive and excellent ammo. That, to me, means more practice for less money, which hopefully leads to better shot placement which is what really matters. If you hand load, the cost savings isn't near as much.

mcseal2

WKR
I do most of my calling with an AR in 223 shooting Superformance ELD-M 73gr ammo. It seems to kill quicker even at bad angles than my previous 223 experiments.

I almost always have a 243 in the vehicle I take calling for more open sets or if the wind picks up. The AR stays in my Eberlestock with the rest of my calling gear, the bolt 243 stays handy for anything I spot between stands. I'm shooting Superformance ammo with a 58gr V max at 3850fps. I have killed 5 with it in the last couple weeks calving, it's bad medicine for them.

The guys saying to split the difference and go 22-250 aren't wrong either. It works well.

If I was buying something else it would be an AR in 22 Nosler.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
The all purpose calling rifle should be an AR 18-20” in 223/5.56. The 243 was my second coyote rifle, and I wasted a lot of my life sewing up hides because of it. I never have enjoyed being limited, so now I keep a half dozen rifles I’d call my “coyote rifle,” but more often than not, I take out a 223. If you’re setting regularly and watching coyotes over 600yrd shots and can’t get them in any closer, then the larger case, heavier bullet makes sense.

Admittedly, the 6mm Grendel variants have quickly become my favorite midwestern hunting cartridge, but I still end up taking a 223 more often.

Block

WKR
If ur not saving fur,,, bigger is better! Make sure they’re dead.

That being said,, Iv made small pinholes on bobcats with a .270 and then blown a fist size hole in a Fox with a .17hmr.... hit bone and ur guna have a BLOW OUT

Tbeck

FNG
Find the caliber/rifle combo that you shoot the best. The caliber isn’t near as important as the rifle/shooter. I use a 6mm Creedmoor because I like being able to hit them when they hang up a long ways away, but I’ve killed more coyotes inside 100 yards than all other yardage combined.

TX_Diver

WKR
If ur not saving fur,,, bigger is better! Make sure they’re dead.

That being said,, Iv made small pinholes on bobcats with a .270 and then blown a fist size hole in a Fox with a .17hmr.... hit bone and ur guna have a BLOW OUT

Hmmm. Interesting take. Few years ago I got 2 from a stand with a 30-06. One had no damage and the other was a major blow-out. Hitting a bone may have been the difference! I never considered that before.

Chipz

FNG
I've got both, .243 Howa and a .223 built AR. The AR stays at home.

.243 in any flavor of bullet just flat out outperforms .223 in every metric, except for maybe salvaging fur.

AZsniper

WKR
243 can be used for more. AZ deer, Javalina etc. I would do the 243 because it has the ability to shoot more things.