.243 reality check? -->Chose 6.5creed

WCB

WKR
.243 with a good bullet will be just fine. I echo above...partition, Accubond, Sierra game king...all would be good options.

I've personally seen a handful of Mule Deer shot out to just over 300 yards with a 22-250 and 60 grain Partitions...they didn't go far.

jmav58

WKR
Yep, 243 works great. We use mainly plain old Gamekings most of the time, but our rifle shoots Barnes TTSX well also. This rifle is a Rem 600 Mohawk with a shortened stock, 18"bbl. It is very light but recoil is manageable for even my youngest daughter, who weighs about 50lbs. I would only recommend a break if you want to see impact.

I use sierra GK's as well, 100 grain out of my .243. Last 4 animals I've killed have been DRT.

krohboy

WKR
My .243 is my favorite caliber. While I have many others the .243 is the first I pick up generally and have taken a couple different mule deer with it and have had no problems with proper shot placement. I even took an aoudad with a .243 which many would say I was under gunned. I would feel confident taking it.

jlh42581

WKR
I have a .243 from being a kid, i took a frontal on a deer here with superformance, it wrecked her. My kid is now shooting it with the reduced recoil load and the same bullet. He was 8 last year. At 100 yards he dropped one in its tracks.

Many options for bullets- I know heavy for caliber like the bergers or eldm work well.

However, if the point is less recoil, you can't deny the laws of physics that a lighter bullet will recoil less. I go for a 80gr TTSX in a .243 and know it will go through just fine. Hammer Bullets has a 70gr that would recoil even less. Not sure you can go lighter than that in a big game bullet.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Well, I ended up getting some help with gun smith referrals from Nick @HawkinsPrecision after learning that Weatherby was 90+ days out on getting a brake installed. Every smith he suggested has said it will not be a problem, and that with the Hawkins brake recoil should be a pat on the back. So, despite the great confidence instilled from this thread, we ordered a 6.5cm.

OXN939

WKR
These guys? https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/premium-centerfire-rifle/berger-hybrid-hunter/11-P243BCH1.html

That particular rifle is a sweet shooter and is the back up to the back up plan. He got really excited about the idea of this potential new rifle being the grandkids.

Taking my .243 for Caribou to Alaska in a few weeks. Any of the quality copper monos are a match made for the .243 WIN- mild recoil, full and consistent expansion, deep penetration, toxin-free food. Not much in the way of downsides. Shown is an 80 grain GMX into gallon jugs of water from a relatively slow 20" barrel.

20200312_165539.jpg

crich

WKR
Its already been stated but with proper bullet selection the .243 will be more than sufficient if he is a great shot as you stated.

I'd opt for the 6.5cm with a brake since the kids will get more use out of it as they get older and the hunts get bigger. I have a 7mm08 thats a light shooter that would fill that role even a little better in my opinion.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
243 is my absolute favorite, and 100 grain Core-Lokts and 95 grain Partition hand loads have worked on dozens of deer and many more antelope at 50-350 yards. I’ve lost maybe a half dozen due to bad shot placement, which has also happened with 30-06 more than once. If you do your job, it’ll do its job.

lvtuna

FNG
I used a .243 on my first three deer. My niece has taken 3 with the same rifle. Excellent caliber.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I ended up getting some help with gun smith referrals from Nick @HawkinsPrecision after learning that Weatherby was 90+ days out on getting a brake installed. Every smith he suggested has said it will not be a problem, and that with the Hawkins brake recoil should be a pat on the back. So, despite the great confidence instilled from this thread, we ordered a 6.5cm.

Look at the Little Bastard and The Answer and see if one will fit your rifle. Not cheap but self-timing and no gunsmith required. Completely tamed my 300 WM

FLAK

WKR
Specific to mule deer, would the .243win be a mistake to choose?

My step dad used a dozen points here in Colorado for a unit 66 buck tag. This past week, he found out that he has pancreatic cancer that has gotten into some other places. He is an outstanding shooter.

He wants to do this hunt. We want to have a light rifle available in the event he should not be shooting that 30-06. We started to talk through this, and thought it would be cool if this light rifle ended up being used my my son and the rest of his grand children since, "papa used it", and we are going to have a message from him engraved on the receiver With that heirloom idea in mind, the 243 and 6.5cm came to mind.

The likely rifle will be a Weatherby Vanguard compact with a 20" barrel if I can get it with the brake installed in time. If not, I may opt for the 24" barrel First Lite version since that has a brake standard, and figure out a youth stock later on.

Would we be sitting in a less than ideal place with the .243 specific to this year's muley hunt?

.243 with 100gr. Partitions all day long.

Broomd

WKR
In 2008, my daughter shot a small 6 pt whitetail from our dual stand after I grunted the little guy right in.... She drilled it with the 95 grain .243 bullet and It ran off like it wasn't touched.
We looked for that deer for two hours into waning light and never found it until first light the next day when the ravens told us that the coyotes had completely devoured it.
It was 465 yards away in thick, tall grass. She smoked that deer in the boiler room and it still pulled that sh!t on us. I'm still shocked to this day.

Hey a .222 will kill a moose, to each his own, but to the .243 I say, 'no mas.' I'll put her behind a .308 with reduced recoil (or a braked .308 Kimber Montana like mom shoots) and let her kill stuff. Haven't lost a deer yet with a 30 cal.