.243 reality check? -->Chose 6.5creed

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Back at this....
A prettier stock was requested, so we toyed with the idea of red BC, or the blue Stocky's carbon VG2. Then I saw on one of the Stocky's pages one can sometimes get an unpainted stock, so I called. Turns out it also saves some money.

26.7oz

The plan is to do some red/pink/whatever colors he wants sponge splotch "camo" with grandpa. I think I might see if some fde cloud mist base that leaves half of the cf weave exposed to match the scope would be cool. Then splotch fire dragon rainbow camo on top.
PXL_20220426_201215977.jpg

Then draw a big buck tag, sling a 85gr hammer bullet into it, and then meet back up at camp with @Ucsdryder cause he hunted with the masses and not where the deer live.

Unbridled

FNG
My kids have killed Elk with .243. You noted he’s a decent shot, I wouldn’t worry too about it at all.

If he's a good shooter the .243 with a good bullet will get it done. Shouldn't be any need for a brake on a rifle with that little recoil.

roperking

FNG
If he's a good shooter the .243 with a good bullet will get it done. Shouldn't be any need for a brake on a rifle with that little recoil.
True, but if you are buying a new rifle a 6.5 creed seems like a more versatile round.

I've shot deer with both. My 243 handloads have more recoil than factory ammo in my Tikka 6.5. Either one will be great for any recoil sensitive situations. MY 243 is on the chopping block at this point.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hopefully he’s a better shooter than his dad or it won’t matter what he’s shooting!

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Hopefully he’s a better shooter than his dad or it won’t matter what he’s shooting!

It's a creedmoor so you just have to hit hair and you win.

This rifle got a Stocky's carbon stock, and it is pretty cool, so I got one for my 30-06 fluted vanguard. Weights with rails are 6lb 9oz for the creed, and 6lbs 12oz for the '06. Duracoat spongey paint coming up soon as a grandpa grandson project.
PXL_20220513_161148252.jpg

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider

This rifle got a Stocky's carbon stock, and it is pretty cool, so I got one for my 30-06 fluted vanguard. Weights with rails are 6lb 9oz for the creed, and 6lbs 12oz for the '06. Duracoat spongey paint coming up soon as a grandpa grandson project.
View attachment 410742
Are these stocks really slick to the touch?

Baxter05

FNG
Specific to mule deer, would the .243win be a mistake to choose?

My step dad used a dozen points here in Colorado for a buck tag. This past week, he found out that he has pancreatic cancer that has gotten into some other places. He is an outstanding shooter.

He wants to do this hunt. We want to have a light rifle available in the event he should not be shooting that 30-06. We started to talk through this, and thought it would be cool if this light rifle ended up being used my my son and the rest of his grand children since, "papa used it", and we are going to have a message from him engraved on the receiver With that heirloom idea in mind, the 243 and 6.5cm came to mind.

The likely rifle will be a Weatherby Vanguard compact with a 20" barrel if I can get it with the brake installed in time. If not, I may opt for the 24" barrel First Lite version since that has a brake standard, and figure out a youth stock later on.

Would we be sitting in a less than ideal place with the .243 specific to this year's muley hunt?
The .243 is a great deer rifle

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
That rifle looks awesome! Hope you guys can draw again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did! I have the same buck tag my dad had, and he grabbed a doe tag as well.

My goal is to have the kid in the backpack carrier and next to me for the stalks I make, I think I might show him some rattling videos and had him a set while we are out to try and dumbluck something cool.

woods89

WKR

View attachment 410742
So I see Stockys is making these for Rem M7 now.....

Did you do any inletting at all? My rifle will need the barrel channel opened up and reinletted for aftermarket bottom metal. Just wondering if you can sand/cut/grind on these as needed.It would get me 10 oz less weight and better ergonomics. Aftermarket support for M7s isn't that great.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
So I see Stockys is making these for Rem M7 now.....

Did you do any inletting at all? My rifle will need the barrel channel opened up and reinletted for aftermarket bottom metal. Just wondering if you can sand/cut/grind on these as needed.It would get me 10 oz less weight and better ergonomics. Aftermarket support for M7s isn't that great.
I used the dremel to cut out where the timney safety lever moves, but I had to do that to all factory weatherby stocks and the BC stocks (I think 7 now?) that I have put a timney on a vanguard.

I shot the rifle this thread is about at 65inlbs and it produced better 5 shot groups that it had before, but not by much. A week or two later I pillar bedded my wife's wodd stock camilla and so I decided to skim bed this Stocky's as well and the one I ordered for my 30-06 vanguard. I don't think putting epoxy in there improved anything.

I did cut spartan gunsmith adapters for both and it was really easy. I also had a little epoxy escape my tape and get into the barrel channel, and so I sanded the whole channel. Using the dremel to notch and scour the harder action area was easy as well. For reference, it would not cut with a razor where as the barrel channel area will. I can't think of any reason why sanding the barrel channel and inletting a new bottom metal would be any different than any other stock.

I'd also wait til the weekend and expect 25%ish off.

woods89

WKR
I used the dremel to cut out where the timney safety lever moves, but I had to do that to all factory weatherby stocks and the BC stocks (I think 7 now?) that I have put a timney on a vanguard.

I shot the rifle this thread is about at 65inlbs and it produced better 5 shot groups that it had before, but not by much. A week or two later I pillar bedded my wife's wodd stock camilla and so I decided to skim bed this Stocky's as well and the one I ordered for my 30-06 vanguard. I don't think putting epoxy in there improved anything.

I did cut spartan gunsmith adapters for both and it was really easy. I also had a little epoxy escape my tape and get into the barrel channel, and so I sanded the whole channel. Using the dremel to notch and scour the harder action area was easy as well. For reference, it would not cut with a razor where as the barrel channel area will. I can't think of any reason why sanding the barrel channel and inletting a new bottom metal would be any different than any other stock.

I'd also wait til the weekend and expect 25%ish off.
Thanks a lot! That's very helpful!