243 Rifle Scope

JasonDay

FNG
A little background to begin. Back in November 2020 I was able to find a new Model 7 SS 243 for my son (8 years old) that I wanted to get him for Christmas as his first 'real' gun. He was lucky enough to take his first deer this year, but it was with the 223 as I didn't have time to get delivered and setup in time before our last trip.

With all that said, I am looking to purchase a new scope and get him to the range over the summer to prep for the upcoming season. Looking for a solid and dependable option that will work for shots out to 200 yards for his experience level. This will be a zero of 100 yards and will teach him a slight hold over if needed out to 200 yards. I will also be using it from time to time when not bow hunting and the weekends where he is tagging along. I have a few options below that I have been looking into, but would like to hear honest feedback on these as well as other suggestions that would work. These range from $150 to $450, but more focused on performance for the requirements above.

Burris Fullfield IV - 2.5x10x42 with Ballistic E3 MOA
Burris Fullfield E1 - 3x9x40 with Ballistic Plex E1
Vortex Razor HD LH - 1.5x8x32 with G4 BDC
Vortex Razor HD LH - 2x10x40 with HSR-4
Leupold VX3i - 2.5x8x36 with Duplex (If I can find one)

Thanks, Jason

nobody

WKR
I have the VX3I on a creedmoor with a CDS dial, it's solid and I've liked it. Lightweight and dependable. But it's been discontinued and replaced with the VX3HD, which are hard to find in stock. Leupold is taking a ton of time to roll them out, not sure why...

The Razor HD LH's have been discontinued and replaced with the LHT, which retails for about a grand. I for some reason was never that impressed with the original LH, but the LHT is a sweet rig.

No experience with the Burris scopes, sorry.

Just some advice that I have seen. I have three boys and 8 is a little young for a scope with multiple reticles. You shouldn’t need to hold over at 200 yards. I kept all my boys with a normal scope reticle until they had some kills under their belt, just to keep things simple. Heat of the moment it is easy to use the wrong reticle. Might not be an issue for you but just thought I would mention it.

We have Leupold Freedom on our .243. Works great

OP
J

JasonDay

FNG
Just some advice that I have seen. I have three boys and 8 is a little young for a scope with multiple reticles. You shouldn’t need to hold over at 200 yards. I kept all my boys with a normal scope reticle until they had some kills under their belt, just to keep things simple. Heat of the moment it is easy to use the wrong reticle. Might not be an issue for you but just thought I would mention it.

We have Leupold Freedom on our .243. Works great
Definitely makes sense. Not trying to complicate this and make it something frustrating for him.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
These range from $150 to $450, but more focused on performance for the requirements above.

Burris Fullfield IV - 2.5x10x42 with Ballistic E3 MOA
Burris Fullfield E1 - 3x9x40 with Ballistic Plex E1
Vortex Razor HD LH - 1.5x8x32 with G4 BDC
Vortex Razor HD LH - 2x10x40 with HSR-4
Leupold VX3i - 2.5x8x36 with Duplex (If I can find one)

Thanks, Jason

None of those are optimum for your stated use- 8yo, new Hunter, out to 200 yards. A quality fixed 4x or 6x would be way better for those requirements.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Have a recommendation that I could research?

Meopta 6x, S&B Hungarian 4 or 6x, older Weaver K4’s or K6’s, older Zeiss 4 or 6x’s. Those are all good scopes.

I’m not suggesting fixed power because I’m anti modern scopes, I’m suggesting those because I have and do teach a lot of younger and new hunters and shooters. 0-200 yards, good fixed powers are the answer.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I both have Model 7's. His a 243, mine a 7-08.
They both have VX3 2.5-8x36 in Talley Lightweight Xtra lows.
In my opinion, the perfect Whitetail woods setups.

Zappaman

WKR
Have a recommendation that I could research?
Yes, kid's first gun so I'd get a better "starter scope".

Just to name a few that I have owned that are known for being rugged and having decent glass for low-light AND simple reticles:

Simmons Aetec in the 2.8-10/44mm. Old ones were AMAZING and new ones aren't bad really. About $120 and they hold zero- not super heavy too. I've used them on ARs, nephews' Savage Axis rifles, and they shoot nice and hold-up. There are around if you look enough, maybe eBay.

ANY (newer) Weaver: Classic, 4200, or Grand/Super Slam... the Japanese (LOW) builds last forever. Some might still be closing out, maybe Natchez? Worth looking for better used too (since your son can give it to his 30 years from now).

Nikon Prostaff: I have the original 3x9/50mm that has surprisingly clear glass for the $150 or so paid- might find one around. Mine has been on my 243 since 2005 and it's never coming off! I heard the later series (3,5,7) were also excellent.

And maybe ask here on an older NOS models like the above. Heck, I have SEVERAL in the safe (some over 10 years now)-- waiting on those rifles I meant to build (or family member who wanted one, then ran out before I could ship them one I found for them). Haha.

From your list I'd agree those reticles MAY confuse new hunters. I STILL use hold over in my new scopes out to 300 yards without THINKING to go to the next "tick" down at *** yards.

Good luck!

Krushrr

FNG
My son and I both have Model 7's. His a 243, mine a 7-08.
They both have VX3 2.5-8x36 in Talley Lightweight Xtra lows.
In my opinion, the perfect Whitetail woods setups.
I agree with this. I've used the 2.5-8×36 on a .270, .30-06, and .280. I killed many deer with this model and 9 times out of 10 on 2.5 power. I recently bought a zeiss v4 3-12×44 with #20 reticle for my .280 Rem so I have put the VX3 up on the classifieds here. The higher powers are especially nice when target shooting imo. But for my woods hunting 2.5, or 3 power on low end works fine. A fixed 4 would work great.

OP
J

JasonDay

FNG
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

The fixed power offerings look interesting and meet the simplistic need. Especially that S&B. Haven't thought to look at any of the used variables such as the Leupold's mentioned and some of the others.

I may be making this more complicated than needed, but just want this setup to be right for him. First kid, first gun, etc.

Rich M

WKR
The Vortex Diamondback is a decent scope for about $200. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/vortex-diamondback-rifle-scope I got the DB last year for a 350 Legend and used it hunting, like it. The scope is good for 30 minutes before & 30 minutes after on a normal day - if you can see it well (not all grainy), you can shoot it. Was impressed.

Was impressed with the 350 legend too. A 250-300 yard gun for me (scope is BDC due to bullet drop at range). Inside 200, it is sighted about 3 inches high at 100, and hits about 2 inches low at 200.

I have a Leica ER 2.5-10x on my 243 and Leupold 3-9x40 on my 30-06. That 3-9 has taken antelope at 350 yards and plenty of deer out to 250. When I hunt 200-250 yard stands, they are set on 6x in case something shows up closer.

IMO - get him a 3-9x40 Diamondback V-plex reticle and that might just be his life scope. Nothing wrong with having variable power. It is nice to dial up to 9 for 200 yd target practice. teach him to keep the scope at a reasonable power when stand or still hunting - 4 x out to say 125 yds and 6x out to 200 yds. Then practice on a deer target at those ranges so he's comfortable with the sight picture. Also teach him to to mount gun with both eyes open - easier to center +hairs on target (can close eye when gun is mounted). And would be handy shooting a deer at 25 yards if scope is on 6x or 9x. Think of what he needs to experience and train him right.

With the 243, sight it 1 or 2 inch high at 100 and it should be real close at 200. No dialing or BDC lines necessary out past 300 yards if you ever choose to go there.

From your list I'd go with the Razor LH. I have three and they've served me well. The glass is very nice and never had any issues with tracking and returning to zero. I personally prefer the HSR-4 reticle over the G4 since the G4 tends to "disappear" when looking at a dark object (at least to my eyes).

The kid is 8. The shots are out to 200 yards. Tracking and return to zero are pretty much irrelevant. Who would give an 8 year old a $1000 scope? Wtf...

A 200 yd zero will be ~1.5" high at 100 yds. A 100 yd zero will be ~3" low at 200 yds. For an 8-year old, I'd use the 200 yd zero so that he can do a dead hold from the muzzle to 200 yds, rather than trying to have a novice shooter use holdovers.

OP
J

JasonDay

FNG
The kid is 8. The shots are out to 200 yards. Tracking and return to zero are pretty much irrelevant. Who would give an 8 year old a $1000 scope? Wtf...
Not sure if this message was for me, but my list does not approach $1k. Most of the other suggestions are sub $500 as well.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
ATM the Razor HD LH 2-10x40 HSR-4 can be found for about $450 at EuroOptics. Ive got one even cheaper when Sportsmans blew them out. VERY nice scope for under $500.

I think the best deal atm is the Burris E1 4.5-14x42 on sale at Dunns. Its $180 for the plain ballistic plex. The long range MOA version is about the same price.

Since you mentioned some smaller OBJ models, have you looked at the Sightron S-TAC 2-10x32? Its about $300 in a standard duplex.