243 Rifle Scope

The kid is 8. The shots are out to 200 yards. Tracking and return to zero are pretty much irrelevant. Who would give an 8 year old a $1000 scope? Wtf...

I don't know, my 9 year old likes shooting the family 10/22 quite a bit...

LLcsLE7.jpg

UENK7gA.jpg

Leupold. Of those you mentioned, Leupold has the best eye relief and is easiest to get behind. That matters for a young person. A lot. Don't go with a fixed. He can leave the variable set low, then take advantage of the variable at a later stage in life. So often my answer to which anything is that it doesn't really matter. This really matters. Leupold. The Rifleman series in 3-9x40 is just what he needs. The longer mounting surface makes it easier to get the scope in the sweet spot.

OP
J

JasonDay

FNG
Leupold. Of those you mentioned, Leupold has the best eye relief and is easiest to get behind. That matters for a young person. A lot. Don't go with a fixed. He can leave the variable set low, then take advantage of the variable at a later stage in life. So often my answer to which anything is that it doesn't really matter. This really matters. Leupold. The Rifleman series in 3-9x40 is just what he needs. The longer mounting surface makes it easier to get the scope in the sweet spot.
Thanks for the feedback. Will be on the look this weekend for this model as well as a few more mentioned depending on what I can find online. Was the Rifleman replaced by the VX Freedom line?

Is there a consensus on the VX I, VX II, VX III, VX 3, etc. Is there one to stay away from or to seek out?

Thanks for the feedback. Will be on the look this weekend for this model as well as a few more mentioned depending on what I can find online. Was the Rifleman replaced by the VX Freedom line?

Is there a consensus on the VX I, VX II, VX III, VX 3, etc. Is there one to stay away from or to seek out?
I doubt you'll find consensus. I have done just fine with all Leupolds from the Redfield Revolution (now discontinued) series on up. The Freedom occupies the place that VX1 and 2 used to occupy. I think they have shorter mounting length though. You didn't happen to get one of the Model 7s that Midway had on closeout did you?

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Swarovski z3 4-12. Good value glass w duplex, lightweight and he will be 10 years old in two seasons meaning he will grow rapidly in experience and the scope can grow with him. And, I get the impression he listens and you mentor so a clear sight picture will really help. And last, you can play .22 games with same scope out to 200 yards to learn holdover and drift as he matures.
I did a leupold 2-8x36 for my son on kimber 7mm-08 and hindsight, stiff zoom and focus was a pain and still is.

Swarovski z3 4-12. Good value glass w duplex, lightweight and he will be 10 years old in two seasons meaning he will grow rapidly in experience and the scope can grow with him. And, I get the impression he listens and you mentor so a clear sight picture will really help. And last, you can play .22 games with same scope out to 200 yards to learn holdover and drift as he matures.
I did a leupold 2-8x36 for my son on kimber 7mm-08 and hindsight, stiff zoom and focus was a pain and still is.

You're not getting a 22lr out to 200 yds with a Z3 unless you get a BRH and shoot it at 6x.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider

Personally i thought the VX II was nicer than the VX Freedom and the VX III was nicer than the VX3i but with the new VX 3HDs hitting the market you may find a good deal on the VX3i later this year. One thing i really liked about most Loopies is low weight and nice eye relief. The only time i had to deal with their CS it was top notch. They sent me several base screws no charge and it was in no way a fault on their part. I simply needed them.

Only issue i ever had is when i saw a model i liked i found a competitive model cheaper. Such was the case when i got my Razor HD LH 2-10x40. I got it much cheaper than i could find a VX3i in 3.5-10x40 and i like the Razors glass better. I like the 2x low better also.

Even at the current pricing of $450 at EuroOptics i still think its a great price for a Razor HD LH. I paid $350 when Sportsmans blew them out.

Its now on my Ultra Light Arms model 20 to replace my Redfield 2-7x33
RojyqP3.jpg

KrQXJj5.jpg

Last edited: