.243win Bullet Choice

Dust1n

FNG
I’ve been using my .243win paired with Federal Blues in 80g for Whitetails 100yards and under, but I’m going on a mountain Hunting and going to opt for a Premium Bullet that will work for distances up to 250yards Max

What’s everyone’s thoughts on;

Nosler 90g BTip
Barnes 80g TTSX
Sierra 90g Game Changers

Do I assume correctly that you are looking at Factory loadings? What do you mean by mountain hunting? I think the game you are intending to hunt dictates the bullet choice. From your location, I assume Mule Deer, Sheep and Elk. From your list I would lean towards the Game Changers or something similar to the Accubond, interbond etc. I haven't had much luck in terminal performance of the Ballistic tips in any caliber but they are a cheaper way to get load data and to sight in than to use up my "go To" accubonds. I have only hand loaded the Barnes and haven't had any luck in getting good accuracy but I know they can be finicky. Most folks I know who do use the Barnes in the .243 use the original and not the tipped with great results. I think the heavier bullet with a thicker jacket made to perform is the better bet.

The Ballistic tip was designed by Gail Root at Nosler specifically to be his elk bullet in a .243. He killed a bull every year with that combo.

It's a very sturdy little bullet, but will shed a lot of weight up front and make a pretty devastating wound channel, but will still penetrate because the rear of the bullet holds together very well.

More detail around the species would definitely help but of the three you listed if your pushing the 250 yard mark my choice would be the game changers.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Going to need to know your barrel’s twist, whether or not you handload, and what “mountain hunting” means.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Winchester Supreme 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tip is where my research led me for factory ammo with a bullet to kill everything with a .243.

rayporter

WKR
It's a very sturdy little bullet, but will shed a lot of weight up front and make a pretty devastating wound channel, but will still penetrate because the rear of the bullet holds together very well.

yes - it is not the normal BT

i have used it for prairie dog and it is accurate but not as explosive as the lighter B tips.. it carried well at long ranges

The Ballistic tip was designed by Gail Root at Nosler specifically to be his elk bullet in a .243. He killed a bull every year with that combo.

This is true. Not all Ballistic Tips are built equally. The 120gr 7mm Ballistic Tip is another fairly tough bullet.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Ballistic Tip.
90 or 95 grain

I use the 95 because I can (could) find the bullets more readily available for reloading.

Rich M

WKR
I shot a 300# muley with a 243 100 gr Federal Blue Box Power Shok at 220 yards. Got his horns on the wall.

I just noticed that you are in Canada - and will therefore have ammo availability. You wont be disappointed with the Hornaday SSTs.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
85 gr partition, 95 gr ballistic tip, 95 gr Berger vld all like hammer of Thor, definitely at 250 yds, for deer in my 6mm Rem. Use the speed to advantage combined w precision shot placement.

Devildogg

FNG
If you have a 1-8” twist u could try the Hornady 108eld m. Ive taken 11 white tails with these. I’m running them at about 3050fps and have taken deer at 570 yds with golf ball exit wounds. They have been my go to bullet since the 105 were discontinued.

Oldffemt

WKR
I’ve taken numerous antelope and white tails cleanly with the 95gr bt. From in my face to approaching 500yds. Never required a follow up shot. I knew an old man that filled a stack of elk tags over the years with a 243 and standard core loks, but he kept the range pretty short.