24hrs in Anchorage

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
I've got 24 hours in Anchorage between a flight in and then a flight up to Prudhoe Bay for a Brooks Range sheep hunt this August. I suppose I'll pop over to Barney's to see if they have any of that 40" ram urine attractant in stock but other than that any spots anyone recommends for meals or anything weird/cool/unusual to see?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The Mooses tooth is always popular but I think its mostly just popular for people who live up here year round. I can't imagine their pizza and beer is any better than what is readily available in the lower 48.

That being said, when you get back from your hunt, it will probably be the best thing you've ever eaten. In 2018 I had a brutal time on my sheep hunt, I spent over a week getting rained on and sleeping in a wet bag then the packout was absolutely horrendous. I ate an entire pizza and at least 7 beers at mooses tooth when I got back.

OP
7layerburrito

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Bush Company. It's been a few years. :)

I made the genius move of overlapping my sheep hunt with my one year wedding anniversary and as cool as my wife is me texting "Yo bb I'm at the Alaska Bush Company thinkin of u" before/after the sheep hunt might be a bridge too far for the girl.

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
Man, if you have the chance to get on 4 wheels for a few hours, take it south and check out Whittier. Of the 2 times i have been in Alaska, i got out of Anchorage as quickly as i could, it is not what Alaska is (and this is coming from a Hoosier). Even going a bit north into Wasilla is showing a little of what the state has to offer.

However the Basspro is pretty nice up there, might just be the stereotypical "have to stop at" place on every road trip though.

OP
7layerburrito

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Humpies, Club Paris, The Mooses Tooth, all of these just sound like stripclubs after the suggestion of The Bush Company.

It sounds like my Anchorage experience will be "Netflix on my phone and sprinting onto the next plane outta town."

Barney's is a cool little shop along with AMH (less than a mile away from Barney's), also, as suggested above, if your looking for a very good pizza and local beer, Moose's Tooth is it. Club Paris for the best stuffed blue cheese filet mignon on the planet. Humpy's is a nice little pub with some very good bar food, a huge selection of beers on tap and live music, the Glacier Brewhouse is one of our favorite's with good food, local beer and a pretty cool atmosphere. If you're in the mood for some exercise, and it's a nice day, there are some great hikes around town with Flat Top probably being the most popular. That's about all I can think of right now.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Bass Pro and Cabela's are both pretty terrible.

There is some decent food, some of which has been recommended. The only restaurant food I have had in AK that stands out as great is The Double Musky in Girdwood.

To just grab something good that is not overly expensive, get food at New Sagaya.

There are several mountain day hikes that are close to the city if you are interested. Wolverine Peak or Rainbow are both good and not as crowded as Flat Top.

You can also find chanterelles and boletes in the city that time of year if you hunt mushrooms.

The Botanical Garden's are a good spot to kill time outside (for being in a city), as is Kencaid Park or Far North Bicentennial Park.

I'm more of a 49th State Brewery fan myself for beer and food when in Anchorage. We also like to take company to the Lakefront on Lake Hood if it's nice out. Beers on the deck while float planes are buzzing you is always something our tourists enjoy. I've never understood the Moose's Tooth thing, its pizza just like everywhere else in the world.

I'd sooner leave my sidearm in the tent while on a hunt than in my hotel room while in Anchorage.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Best steak I've had was at Club Paris downtown.
Yep........and it has been the best for the 52 years I have eaten there.
Long ago there was a place on Northern lights Blvd. that had a cook your own steak and a baked potato for like $3.95 and included one beer. They supplied good NY Strip steaks. By the time they went out of business that deal was $12.95

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Humpies, Club Paris, The Mooses Tooth, all of these just sound like stripclubs after the suggestion of The Bush Company.

It sounds like my Anchorage experience will be "Netflix on my phone and sprinting onto the next plane outta town."
Humpies is probably my favorite. Lobster rolls and crab melts are the bomb.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Grab a car and drive to Girdwood along Turnagain Arm. It's one of the prettiest drives in the state. Mountains on one side of the road and inlet on the other. There are Dall sheep right along the highway between Anchorage and Bird Creek. Just past Bird Creek you can sometimes find mountain goats at the top of the mountains. The beluga whales start showing up more prevalent in August and you can regularly see them right next to the highway on high tides.

Cruise past Girdwood to the Wildlife Conservation Center in Portage to kill a couple hours. Stop in Girdwood to eat at the Double Musky on the way back to Anchorage. Lots of hiking trails right along the highway too, if you want to get a warm up climb in before you head to the Brooks.

Mountain View Sports, on the south side of Anchorage, has the Swank ram on display.

Hell club Paris isn’t even the best steak I’ve had in Alaska. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good but not best ever.

Mountain View sports should be a stop, just the see the swank ram!

a drive down the turnagain arm would definitely be worth it.

Been avoiding Humpies since them prudes kicked a few of us out a few years ago for having some good clean fun. Apparently "the afternoon crowd doesn't appreciate you guys doing body shots" and "there are women and children here" and "if you play the Thong Song one more time you're gone" or whatever. Just too many rules there.

If you really want Humpies, just get it in the airport before your return flight.

Voyageur

WKR
If you enjoy "off the beaten path" dining check out Hula Hands Restaurant. We were directed there by the office lady at Surveyers Exchange. Almost didn't go in when we saw the exterior, but very glad ate there.
If you are in to coffee shops SteamDot Coffee and Espresso Lab is a good one.