24hrs in Anchorage

keller

WKR
I spent a month in anchorage in 2018.sheep hunted and fished. Rented a house in the not so nice part of town.left the house 3:30 am to get to jims creek fishing several days.People walking down the street pushing shopping carts. Laying on the sidewalk passed out. Some bleeding with responders their. I woke up every morning Looked at my truck to see if it was broken into. Didn't have any problems.my cousin that lived their said they are natives the don't cause problems that's just how they live?? I don't eat out and splurge on myself but did eat moose pizza cousin works their. Hiked the flat top quite a few times. Drive south to girdwood and north Palmer area. Nice scenery.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
I'd put halibut fish and chips at the top of my dinner list. Humpy's has them. I guarantee you that you will burn off the calories on your hunt:). We stayed over in Anchorage on our way back from Kodiak. The Millennium Hotel has a restaurant overlooking Lake Hood and they had great fish and chips. It's also neat to watch the planes come and go from Lake Hood.

lucky333lucky

Lil-Rokslider
I'd put halibut fish and chips at the top of my dinner list. Humpy's has them. I guarantee you that you will burn off the calories on your hunt:). We stayed over in Anchorage on our way back from Kodiak. The Millennium Hotel has a restaurant overlooking Lake Hood and they had great fish and chips. It's also neat to watch the planes come and go from Lake Hood.

That is the lakefront hotel.

Also, if you go to the moose’s tooth get the Diablo breadsticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d rent a car and drive Turnagain, see Girdwood and maybe Hope. Barney’s and Wiggies is cool, so is Airframes Alaska in ANC or the factory in Palmer.

jwatts

WKR
I'd visit Barney's and Mtn View Sports. I'm a runner, so I ran some of the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail at the end of my sheep hunt. Also Snow City Cafe (downtown) or Midway Cafe (close to Barney's) have a good breakfast selection. Across from Snow City is the Roosevelt Room. It's like an antique store with tons of odd antiques. Anything from walrus skulls to Purdey side by side shotguns.

Thanks for the suggestions! I’m actually staying in anchorage two days before and after my sheep hunt. I’m sure I’ll visit a few of these places.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
You can probably skip Simon & Seafort. Just hit the Outback in your home town. ;-)

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Geez a lot of you guys are really down on Anchorage!
People who live in the Matsu Valley need something to look down on. For the rest of Alaska, Anchorage and the valley is closer to living in the lower 48 and their is a feeling that people who live in Anchorage don't deserve to be lumped in with those who live in bush communities.

chisana

FNG
I always enjoy my trips to Anchorage and enjoy walking around downtown. Nice restaurants and I've never seen anything in Anchorage that really stood out in terms of crime, urban decay, or homelessness. Pre-COVID I was spending 40-50 days a year there, plenty for visitors to do with a layover of a day or two!

Rental car prices are through the roof! would be surprised if you got one in August.....

I would drive down to Girdwood, and fish Bird Creek. Lots of pinks will be running. pack a fly rod and catch as many as you want

I ran a beer truck in anchorage 20-some years ago. Don’t know if they’re all still there but Pioneer, Chilkoot Charlie’s in Spenard (used to be a comedy club across the street), and if you’re desperate, Humpy’s. There was a nice spot just west of downtown that I recall was sleeping lady... cool spot. Koot’s is with the price of admission.

Check out the local gun shops and stay outta Ass Pro and Cabsellas, they even own Sportswhams now.