.25-06 117 SST vs 115 VLD

ianpadron

WKR
Getting the new member of the Kimber collection ready for the fall and looking for some insight on these two bullets.

The SST has a lower BC but I can scoop HSM's new SST load for 30 bucks a box, with the same velocity of the Hornady Superformance stuff...vs. the tried and true 115 VLD that guys seem to really like at 45 bucks a box.

Thoughts or experiences? Will be used on anything with horns/antlers in the West.

Killed alot of deer in GA with 25-06 and a 117 sst's. Ran across a deal on 500 115 vlds last year and have worked up a load with them. They shoot lights out but no experience on game yet

I had good luck with around 54 grains of H4831 and the 115 Berger. I have not shot a deer with one, but I'm thinking they should work fine.

The loads I tried liked seating pretty far back from the lands, something like 0.12 inches. I never tried them right up against the lands though.

Long time 25-06 shooter. I’ve been shooting the Berger 115 for the past few years. I shot 5 whitetails from 125 to 410 yards last year with the Berger. Only one went more than a step or two after being hit and the damage is impressive. Year before was the same plus a pronghorn. Same results. I get 3090 out of a 24” Bartlein 1-10 twist with 58 grains of H1000 in Norma brass.
Prior to the Berger, a 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip was my bullet of choice. We had long seasons liberal limits, and lots of depredation tags. In ran the body count up, way up shooting deer 8 months out of the year with the quarter bore.

Last edited:
When i still had my .25-06 I was in search of the 120 Fusions, but as far as I know they're unavailable as component bullets. That's a great bullet in most calibers.

When my 25-284 is done, I will primarily shoot the heavy 133-135 Bergers and ELDMs. I'm excited to get it dialed this summer/fall.

Long time 25-06 shooter. I’ve been shooting the Berger 115 for the past few years. I shot 5 whitetails from 125 to 410 yards last year with the Berger. Only one went more than a step or two after being hit and the damage is impressive. Year before was the same plus a pronghorn. Same results. I get 3090 out of a 24” Bartlein 1-10 twist with 58 grains of H1000 in Norma brass.
Prior to the Berger, a 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip was my bullet of choice. We had long seasons liberal limits, and lots of depredation tags. In ran the body count up, way up shooting deer 8 months out of the year with the quarter bore.

Appreciate this kind of info, thank you.

How did the VLDs do on the sub 200 yard shots? .25-06 velocity puts me right on the edge of where I got some pretty messy kills with 140 grain bergers going really fast out of my 270 WSM

When i still had my .25-06 I was in search of the 120 Fusions, but as far as I know they're unavailable as component bullets. That's a great bullet in most calibers.

When my 25-284 is done, I will primarily shoot the heavy 133-135 Bergers and ELDMs. I'm excited to get it dialed this summer/fall.

The fusions were never on my radar as I always thought they were "cheap", but recently I've come to the conclusion that I need to try them. I've read a bunch of posts where guys call them the most underrated bullet ever made, very accurate and consistent terminal performance. That's a helluva claim and worth checking out! A tipped version for the .25-06 would likely get my full attention...

Appreciate this kind of info, thank you.

How did the VLDs do on the sub 200 yard shots? .25-06 velocity puts me right on the edge of where I got some pretty messy kills with 140 grain bergers going really fast out of my 270 WSM
Depends on what you hit going in. No worse than a Nosler or Sierra.

Back