25-06 for my do it all rifle?

FLS

WKR
I’ve shot a lot of deer, and pigs and a couple antelope with mine. It’s an excellent cartridge for deer sized game. Hits way above its weight class.

I had a tikka 25-06 that killed everything like lightning. 100grain barnes TTSX moving around 3300fps. I've since rebarreled it to a 25-284 with a 7.75 twist to shoot high BC bullets and still have room in the Tikka mag. 25-06 is the perfect deer rifle. It will be even better with fast twist barrels, 131ace bullet and Berger is coming out with a 127gn bullet. I think the 1/4bore will make a strong come back in the future.

Squirrels

WKR
I have an original Ruger M77 in 25-06, it has a little heavier barrel than the MKII, actually alot. Barrel is 26", it's heavy but I've killed a bunch of deer with it. I have a 270 encore, I'd trade the 270 barrel for a 25-06 in a hearbeat

What barrel length is optimal for the 25-06? I’ve seen a lot of manufacturers making them in a 22”. Is that sufficient to get the most out of the caliber?
I would prefer a 24" barrel or even a 26" barrel like the Ruger 1B has but that being said the Remington 700 Mountain Rifle I had came with a 22" barrel and it seems to work very well. 120 gr. Partitions chronographed at 3000 fps using IMR4350. Some other powders might have produced even higher fps but this load shot very well.

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had a tikka 25-06 that killed everything like lightning. 100grain barnes TTSX moving around 3300fps. I've since rebarreled it to a 25-284 with a 7.75 twist to shoot high BC bullets and still have room in the Tikka mag. 25-06 is the perfect deer rifle. It will be even better with fast twist barrels, 131ace bullet and Berger is coming out with a 127gn bullet. I think the 1/4bore will make a strong come back in the future.

Just curious - where did you hear that Berger was going to make a 127gr bullet? Thanks!

Afhunter1

WKR
That’s my main caliber back east shooting across fields. 110AB and a good dose of 7828ssc gets me 3260 in my Lija barrel 24”. Built on a 700 action in a McM edge fill stock. Most deer travel 3 feet after being hit with it. I tried the 110 Berger and it splashed bad on deer. My current load still doesn’t show pressure signs. I’ve always wondered if I necked down Lapua 30-06 brass if I could hit 3500 with the 110AB.

SDHNTR

WKR
If I were you, with a .243 already in the arsenal, I’d bump it up a notch and go .270. That way if you ever get the itch to go after bigger game, you’ll be covered.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I thought about that as well but my only chance at bigger game with a rifle is the elk draw here in southeast Ky. That will basically never happen so if I ever do get drawn I'll have a great excuse to buy an actual big game rifle. My main reason for a new rifle is because I shoot left handed so I'm looking for a right hand rifle with better left hand ergonomics (tang safety, etc) or possibly buying a lefty bolt gun. I am right eye dominant and right handed but shoot a rifle lefty.

Vaultman

WKR
.... I am right eye dominant and right handed but shoot a rifle lefty.
That is an interesting combo. I have a kid that is lefty. It does make it tough to teach certain things. How did you learn to shoot a rifle dominantly with your off hand and eye?

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
That is an interesting combo. I have a kid that is lefty. It does make it tough to teach certain things. How did you learn to shoot a rifle dominantly with your off hand and eye?
I have just always shot long guns left handed since I was little. It just feels natural. I shoot a sling shot left handed but my bow right handed. Some things I just do naturally left handed and I have no idea why. If I just squint my right and blur it out I don't have any trouble with it trying to takeover when i'm shooting. I can shoot rifles or shotguns right handed almost as good as I do lefty but it just doesn't feel natural. I just have to pay more attention to what i'm doing.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
My X-bolt in 25-06 is my favorite gun in my safe right now, has been for the past decade. I have no issues using it up to and including elk. A guide I know here, who's also a gunsmith and has built all manner of big calibers, still goes back to his 25-06. He swears by it with a fast 100gr Barnes TSX.

It's been my favorite cartridge for 20 years. I have a Ruger #1 with a 26" tube that I've killed a whole slew of whitetail with. Mine groups 120 gr federal fusion in one whole when I do my job. If you'll notice, there are rarely any detractors that have actually used it before.

Squirrels

WKR
I'd really like to add another to my collection. Anyone know who makes one in good LEFTY. I've shot my right handed one left handed dating back to the Regan years.

I think there are a few options out there! Check out Browning X Bolts.

Savage too.

CO-AJ

WKR
Great round, the only drawback I could see is ammo availability/selection. If you are a die hard reloader, not an issue. There are hundreds of options for ammo in 243 or 270 and 6.5 CM is adding ammo choices daily it seems.