25-.06 vs 7mm-08 considerations???

Shortdraw

FNG
I'm trying to decide between these two calibers. Would like it to be a reasonable light rifle for high country mule deer although it would be pressed into service with whitetails as well. AND, it might well be used by an aspiring teenage hunter as well. For discussion sake, I already have a 7mm Rem mag.

I'm thinking about possibly going with a 20" barrel (Howa Ranchland) to save size and weight. Maybe a Tikka Lite Stainless (22" barrel) Is there a downside to a 20" barrel? I have heard a few comments that the 25-06 gets pretty loud with the short tube. How about ballistics?

What about these two calibers? Could either be a responsible consideration for elk? Are they both more than adequate for a rutting mule deer buck? Any other thoughts that would sway my decision?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have!

I can't help a lot but I just bought a Tikka T3 compact in 308 that has a 20" barrel. Most of the replies I got in my thread explained that the 308 does great in the shorter barrels. I have shot a tikka 25-06 before and it was pretty peppy.

LightFoot

WKR
For a 20 inch barrel, the 7mm-08 is definitely the more efficient option.

There are some lightweight options for the 25-06 like the Kimber Montana or Sako Finnlight. But neither have a 20 inch bbl.

The Kimber Adirondack in 7mm-08 with an 18 inch bbl would be a great choice for weight, but it may leave a little to be desired in the long range department.

If you can shoot 1 moa or less consistently and practice to reasonable hunting distances, it won't be a big deal not matter what you choose.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Bullets? How far do you shoot? What are you trying to accomplish, rig-wise. Caliber not considered. Do you hand load?

GKPrice

Banned
I think it's commonly thought that the 25.06 is one of those that really does need a 24" barrel to get the best out of it, you'll always lose a bit of velocity when shortening the barrel but often it is less than most think - saves on flashlight batteries when headed back to camp in the dark too

elkguide

WKR
Owning rifles in both of those calibers, and while I really like the .25-06, I would opt for the 7mm08.
Especially if you are planning on stretching the new rifle and shooting a big mulie or an elk.

OP
S

Shortdraw

FNG
I don't plan on reloading. Who knows what the future may bring but for now, no. Seems to be a gentle lean toward the 7-08.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
If light weight is your goal, I would go with a Tikka in 7mm-08. That caliber is plenty capable for deer or even elk at moderate distances.

My son shot this mule deer buck at 525 yds with his Tikka .243 with Berger classic hunters at 3100 fps muzzle velocity. His barrel is cut to 20". The buck was quartered away on the shot and the bullet went through the L/H back quarter and I found pieces of bullet all the way up through the vitals. The buck dropped at the shot.

01%20Dylans%201st%20buck_zpsaeiwwkzt.jpg

16Bore

WKR
So my guess is that you're not really interested in "old skool" chamberings like 270 and 243. Which is fine, given the parameters in your initial post. Obviously is more than a "second rifle" for you since your young'en is going to be using it as well. Only reason I mention the 2 calibers is the plethora of available ammo, which for me ranks rather high since I quit handloading.

A 270 is essentially a pretty good combo of 25-06 and 7-08 performance. Bullet range from 100-150 off the shelf and will handle all you want to hunt. Plus the benefit of reduced recoil loads which never hurt for a beginner finding their roots. Not to mention that $20 will get a lot of good ammo.

But if your anti-270, no sweat. Back to your 2 choices, I'd lean 7-08 for the availability of heavier bullets for heavier game.

As for the rifle, Tikka is going to be your easiest, turn-key deal and should be at 7 to 7-1/4# scoped. They pretty much shoot everything. That might be a plus if your kid wants to stroll the aisle of the ammo section and pick his/her "favorite", because we all know that in our earlier days it was how cool the box looked and how cool the "bullet tips" were.

The thing about the Tikka is that they all use the same action and weigh the same, so it's back to deciding on the chambering.....

OP
S

Shortdraw

FNG
Great thoughts! I may go look at a Tikka today. In 7mm-08. But maybe I should consider the 270. Just didn't want to start getting too close to overlapping with my 7rem mag.

elkguide

WKR
Overlapping to me is when you have several rifles in the same caliber!

If you want a sweet rifle, my favorite (overlapped rifle) in 7mm08 is a Kimber Montana.
Lightweight, carries and points well and just plain shoot out the lights with factory ammo or handloads.

16Bore

WKR
270 will nip at a 7mm, but you can also go light with it too.

I'm thinking the 145 Precision Hunter ammo is going to make for fine "maybe an elk one day" stuff.

16Bore

WKR
Think about it this way: intended target (animal), maximum distance, bullet to do the job. Buy the rifle to fill the need. I always go to midway and browse the rifle ammo. I'll sort by the caliber I've got the "hots" for, then run the ballistics to see what I'm looking at. Another interesting tid bit is the number of options available.

One thing that always makes my "list" is I want at least one $20 option. Dunno, just a thing I guess....

thejones

WKR
I have owned both. The 7mm-08 is an excellent round. I have shot whitetail, mule deer and cow elk with one. There are excellent choices for 7mm bullets, super tough and light skin loads. You can buy it factory or hand load to really make it excellent. Great rifle for the young one, and they I'll never need to buy another rifle. If you are looking at a 20" barrel I would go short action round, you can burn all your powder. The 25-06 will have significant muzzle blast that short. Plus with the 7mm-08 you can shoot heavier bullets.

Not sure if it is still there, but there was a Tikka in 7mm-08 in the gun classifieds here.

Good luck.