25 creedmor build for yote?

DuckDogDr

WKR
wanting a flat shooting rig out to 250-300 yards for night hunting. My state just legalized
Debating on on AR platform vs bolt gun. Wanting to be able to use during the day as well.
Which optics as well for both night and day

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
wanting a flat shooting rig out to 250-300 yards for night hunting. My state just legalized
Debating on on AR platform vs bolt gun. Wanting to be able to use during the day as well.
Which optics as well for both night and day

I’d say a 6mm arc, .224 Valkyrie or .204 would do it better from a 15 platform compared to the cost of the AR10 you’d need for creedmoor plus the risk of loading custom chambering and reliable cycling. It might be dumping a whole lot of money into something that just aggravates you and tears things up. Save more on the rifle to spend on optics. I have buddies with 6cm that do well, still tears them up though. Just speaking from experience.

I’m in the middle of a .204 AR15 build but also use a .243 bolt with 55hp which is even flatter out to 500 than the .204 (30” vs 34” drop) Low recoil for follow up shots is a must IMO. I don’t like to let wounded animals make it far.

I had a pulsar Digisight with after market light and a thermal for scanning, but moved to thermion 2 thermal on the rifle. Most any digital NV will do the job day or night. I’ve heard decent things about xsight NV but never used them. I’d stay away from ATN I haven’t heard good things from friends who have them about customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For AR-15 platform I like the 6spc. I run 55gr varmagedons and it flat hammers yotes. For bolt action 243. I wouldn't mind a 6mm CM though. I would also like a .204 upper.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
For AR-15 platform I like the 6spc. I run 55gr varmagedons and it flat hammers yotes. For bolt action 243. I wouldn't mind a 6mm CM though. I would also like a .204 upper.

Wilson combat has 18” 204 ruger barrels with rifle length gas system for $225 out the door right now. That’s a good truck gun length. I’ve heard guys are seeing pressure signs at lower velocities with light bullets on the 6 creeds compared to the .243. I’m rocking 55 varmagedons on my .243 as well. I have some 87gr Vmax when the wind is high and I need the reach.

Wilson combat has 18” 204 ruger barrels with rifle length gas system for $225 out the door right now. That’s a good truck gun length. I’ve heard guys are seeing pressure signs at lower velocities with light bullets on the 6 creeds compared to the .243. I’m rocking 55 varmagedons on my .243 as well. I have some 87gr Vmax when the wind is high and I need the reach.

I run the 70gr Nosler Bts for the windy days. I need to step it up a few grains now that I live in Idaho..it gets windy!!!!

B23

WKR
Anything built of the AR10 platform, versus AR15 based builds, is going to be considerably heavier. Heavier doesn't make it bad but just be aware it'll be much heavier.

The 6mm ARC in a AR15 build looks like it could be a pretty cool setup but another one that is often forgotten about is the 6x45 aka 6-223.

Also something to remember when picking out your cartridge of choice is recoil. The smaller case capacity cartridges that'll run off a AR15 platform will almost always recoil less which makes it easier to stay on target for either follow up shots or when you have multiples coming in. For me, the whole point to going AR would be for quick follow up shots so I'd want something based off a AR15 build.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
@B23 I actually have a 6x45mm built upper as well! I also have a spare 16” barrel for a build I’m willing to let go if anyone is interested? It really folds them up with 75gr HP and the velocities are better than .223 with equal grain bullets.

@DuckDogDr Back to the question at hand. If the 25 creed is what your heart yearns for build it. I think the collective just believes you could get what you desire in a more convenient cost effective fashion, so you aren’t putting all you time into prep for hunting and just getting out there doing it. I like light builds when packing in for a stand.

I have a buddy who built a 22-250 AR10 with a fast twist barrel to shoot heavies and he’s been fighting to get 1moa groups since. I’d like to save you from following his path is all. There’s a lot of aggravation and heart ache down that road but, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t chase it down if it’s what you really want.

224 Valkryie in AR platform has been great for me and is dead on at 50 yards, 1.9" high at 100, 2.7" high at 200, -1.0" low at 300, -10" low at 400. Can't speak on optics for day & night. I have standard optics for daytime and thermal set up on the Valkryie for night hunting. Thermal works during the daytime but I'd rather have separate set-ups for each scenario.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
@DuckDogDr I think that’s going to be a sweetheart of a build! Nice and light, low recoil could take dogs or deer easily! If I wasn’t so invested in .243 that’s where I’d put my money. Midway has some Lee pacesetter dies for $40. I’m trying not to be tempted to build one myself.

Wile E Me

FNG
204 or 20 practical on ar. 22-250 or the .243 /6 creed with 55 bt are real flat in bolt guns and you might have some hide left.