250 or 300 gr Thor?

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
After lots of poor performance from 348gr PowerBelts, I've decided to make the switch to Thor bullets and some BH209 for the upcoming muzzleloader elk season. I can't decide if I should go with the 250 or 300 grain bullet. With lead bullets, I know it is favorable to use heavy bullets, but I read somewhere that with the solid copper bullets, that isn't exactly necessary. 50 grains difference isn't exactly a HUGE difference, but I'm wondering if the 250 grain would be more favorable since it would shoot a little faster and flatter. My shots are going to be 150 yards or less, so maybe trajectory isn't as important as having the extra 50 grains for knockdown power. Thinking out loud here....
What are your thoughts?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'd pick the one that groups the best. You're right, 50 grains isn't enough to worry about. Put it in behind the front leg and it won't matter. Let us know what you pick.

OP
TheHardWay

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I guess I'll have to suck it up and order both sizes. I think I am going to leave the Austin & Halleck in the safe this year, and go buy me one of those Knight Ultra Lites. I'll have to wait and see which diameter the Knight takes. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll take the .501" bullets the AH takes and I can use them in both guns.

Yeah I guess I'll have to suck it up and order both sizes. I think I am going to leave the Austin & Halleck in the safe this year, and go buy me one of those Knight Ultra Lites. I'll have to wait and see which diameter the Knight takes. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll take the .501" bullets the AH takes and I can use them in both guns.

I personally would probably go with the 300 grain - just for extra bit of energy and penetration

OP
TheHardWay

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I personally would probably go with the 300 grain - just for extra bit of energy and penetration

I did a lot of reading on the Ultra Lite today and ran across a bunch of your posts on various forums about the rifle. Have you tried Thors out of yours? If so what diameter were they?

I'm chasing elk this fall with Colorado muzzy rules. Not shooting a Knight so not to much help for you but I've been shooting the 300gr Thor at the range with nice results I think. I know when I'm archery hunting elk I prefer heavier arrows so I'm applying that same train of thought to muzzy.

3 shot group at 150 yards. 300gr THor and 95 grains of BH 209. Steel is about the size of a sheet of paper.

OP
TheHardWay

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty good group you have there. Is that open sights since you stated Colorado rules, or are you developing a load using a scope, then going to practice open sight?
Also what length barrel and twist rate are you shooting out of?

Williams peep.

Borrowed omega, I don't know the specs on it.

A man can do a lot off the bench and sand bags;) although I couldn't get any other bullet to group this good out of this gun, even power belts.

Last edited:

bowinhand

WKR
Wouldn't worry so much about weight. Contact him about getting a test kit and order a dozen in a few sizes and see what groups the best. Awhile back I heard he was working on a standard .500 dia. with a graphite coating to fit all bore diameters.

Eric Bailey

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the 300 grain Thor. Fifty grains is 20% heavier which means almost that much more energy on impact. The trajectory at open sight distances is not much different. Also, I believe a longer bullet is more easily stabilized by 1:28 twist guns. I had good luck with the 300 grain bullet and 110 grains of BH209 last year.

H2O Dogs

FNG
I did a lot of reading on the Ultra Lite today and ran across a bunch of your posts on various forums about the rifle. Have you tried Thors out of yours? If so what diameter were they?
I just got through with load development with the Thor (.501) 300gr., out of my Ultralgiht. Groups were about 1 1/4 inches at 100yds. Seems to like loads around 90 grains (by weight, not volume) of Triple 7 (3f). I am going to try and fine tune that.