2500 Gas or diesel ...

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I'll play along on this one, I currently have an '06 chev 2500 6.0 with 4:10 gears. It's a solid truck no doubt. Pulling an 18' boat or a ranger or a 2 place sled trailer I don't even know it's there. Same 10-12mpg all day long as if I were empty. Now put a 20' enclosed trailer with some additional weight and head through the mountains I certainly know it's there as does the gas gauge. 7-8mpg.
Now the question is, is the diesel worth it mpg wise when considering the additional mpg during daily driving and hauling typically weekend loads vs a gasser?
Also, I find it very interesting that nearly all auto mechanics tend to say they will buy a gas truck over a diesel... Thoughts?

Shrek

WKR
Unless you tow something really heavy a lot you want the gas. So much less expensive to buy and operate and easier to run.

Ok I'm throwing my .02 cents in. Diesel all the way. As long as it's a duramax/allison, 5.9 24 valve cummins or 7.3 powerstroke. I own and daily drive a 03 Dodge Cummins QCSB 4x4 with a 5 speed manual. It gets 18-19 mpg empty and got 10-12 dragging a 24 camper from Ky to Wyoming and back. Dragging it at 75 mph probably hurt the mileage some. I'm gonna slow down this year. As far as maintenance costs, it's a little more than a gasser, but that's ok. I did the front suspension and a set injectors this year as well. Also installed a Yukon free spin kit. So I've tied up a pretty good sum of money in it this year. But it's got 310,000 miles on it and it's gonna drag that same camper back to Wyoming in a couple of weeks.

That just my .02 cents and worth the price charged.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Also, I find it very interesting that nearly all auto mechanics tend to say they will buy a gas truck over a diesel... Thoughts?

I think that's interesting too because I think that diesels are easier to work on than the gassers, and I'm not a mechanic.

The difference for me was mileage. Of course I wouldn't buy new at this point, and wouldn't buy one of the newer EPA restricted diesels. I used to get 22mpg all day long running 80 on the highway empty before the ULSD, now it varies depending on the fuel. I have an '01 7.3L Powerstroke F-350 with the manual transmission (crewcab and long bed). Just averaged mileage for the archery season pulling my '89 Toyota behind it, and got 16.8mpg with three passes going and two coming home (took a different route). It also averaged almost 19mpg this past Spring to San Diego and back running 80-85mph most the way with my family of five. Don't know many 1-ton gas trucks that would do that.

I have gas and diesels both for my business, of all flavors (ford chevy and dodge). Here's some things to consider....

You'll do yourself alot of harm if you buy a diesel and it doesn't run. If you only put on a few miles per year, gas will be your friend. I know for a fact a new DEF system in dodge's cost about $7500. I learned the hard way because that truck sat quite a bit and the def fluid essentially corroded itself. Constant running/motion would have prevented it according to the mechanic.

Modern diesel is garbage compared to that of yesterday.... Expect issues later in the trucks life (if you plan on hangining onto it). All of my fords, chev's and dodges have had injector issues. Avoid ford 6.0's like the plague if you're buying used. Duramax's have had their issues, the new one's seem okay but i have 2 - 2015's that have had a myriad of other petty crap go wrong that makes it more annoying than anything.

Everything is higher priced on a diesel.... expect 100$+ oil changes, 70$ to swap out your fuel filters, etc... Unless you're hooking up and pulling EVERY DAY it's not worth it in my opinion.

If you must go diesel I would search high and low for an arizona or texas ford from the late 90's with relatively low miles and a 7.3 motor.

I have a 2015 F350 gas and it pulls amazing. I also have a few of the GM 6.0's and they're bombproof...... they both like gas however.

None of my gassers have ever been down for 1.5 months.... I've had more than one diesel out for that long.

In your shoes I'd go gas. The diesels will have a ton more power, but much of america isn't working a truck anymore to essentially "need" the additional HP and torque. I justify my diesels by pulling trailers/equipment most days and even then I often wonder if I shouldn't just go 100% gas.

cocky84

WKR
I didn't read all the comments so this might of been already stated.

RESALE! A diesel will hold its value wayyyyy better tgan a gas! I just bought a 2016 duramax ltz for $53,000. Now just look at a used one just like it thats about 5 years old and 100k. Nothing in good shape under $30k for sure and probably more like $35-40. So for easy math , in 5 years and 100k it lost $20k. Use kbb to see the depreciation on a gas. Im guessing it will be more than $20k. Cost a little more up front but you will see it on the back end. Plus you will be a lot cooler.

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
There are a huge amount of different things that go into this decision. To each his/her own, these are a few things no one has mentioned.

Do you want newer bells and whistles, comfort - If so then I would definitely go gas, You couldn't pay me to own something with the current exhaust reguations for new diesels.

If you don't mind something a little older that doesn't have the creature comforts of new and will have general wear and tear repairs then go Diesel.

Are you in the mountains? If you go older diesel get the manual, in my opinion the 6 spd is invaluable. The extra gear and different ratios are very nice to have. Also, I am personally not a fan of the Auto trans options from FORD and DODGE in those olders Diesel trucks.

For automatic trans options the Duramax with Allison is hard to beat and hard to break.

For what it's worth I am in team Gasser, after having owned (2) 5.9L Cummins and a 6.0L Powerstroke. For my personal use the Gas trucks are better. I no longer work my truck hard enough to warrant the diesel. You can't beat the torque from a diesel, but with a good gearing set up a Gas truck can be very capable

Last edited:

JUtah

FNG
I'll add to this since i recently had the same debate. I tow less than the OP, maybe 2-3 times a year. And not heavy. I was looking at the Ram 2500/3500 6.4 hemi gas vs the 6.7 cummins.

I wanted an HD truck which i could load up for week long fly fishing, hunting, and family camping trips. The power and fuel range of the Cummins was very tempting. In the end, i ordered a 2015 Ram 3500 6.4 hemi gasser with 4.10 gears. Truck has been completly reliable, and at 17xxx miles ive only had to pay for oil changes at less than $100 a pop. Range per tank is about 370-400 depending on conditions (not towing). The 6.4 hemi has plenty of power and is quick off the line and for passing for such a large truck. I have loaded it up with 4 guys and a truck bed full of gear for trips and it has never left me wanting.

I wanted the diesel but didnt need it. I also bought the truck at a lower price and don't have to worry about diesel mechanic prices. The 6.4 Hemi gasser with 4.10 gears has been a great combo. No regrets.

Stay away from 6.0L Ford diesels. The new Diesel engine that came out few short yrs ago runs great. Couldn't give me a Dodge. Left us stranded in Nebraska, limped it to Kansas, and they wouldn't work in it. Still under warranty. Tried making some bs thing up. Heard good things about the dmax as well.

Stay away from 6.0L Ford diesels. The new Diesel engine that came out few short yrs ago runs great. Couldn't give me a Dodge. Left us stranded in Nebraska, limped it to Kansas, and they wouldn't work in it. Still under warranty. Tried making some bs thing up. Heard good things about the dmax as well.

Dmax's are quirkier than the others. The only thing that keeps me coming back to them is their army tank transmission. The earlier one's I had injector problems with... now it's alot of emission and sensor garbage.

the 6.4 I honestly didn't have any issues with but I only had it for a very short amount of time (based on my diesel mechanic's reccomendation). I was just coming off a nightmare 6.0 and still gun shy, and some issues were starting to arise in other trucks so I sold it like a bad habit. I had multiple, multiple turbo issues on the 6.7.

I also never chip any of mine, ever.... and I run power service in every tank, regardless of the temps.

As a side note my mechanic is a diesel genius. Has done alot of bombproofing and what have you. He's hooking up and pulling horses all over the country for his hobby..... all with a gasser 1 ton. That speaks some volume to me personally (i understand you guys don't know him).

kodiakfly

WKR
I just went through this same thing in June. Been in a 1500 Z71 since 03 and it's time for a new truck and I wanted a 2500. As has been said, I think it comes down to how much and how often you tow. I've got tons of friends who have diesels and have never towed a dirt bike...and guess what, they all have programming, and exhausts and lift kits and they all complain about how expensive their maintenance and repairs are. Gee..I'm shocked. But then I have friends who work construction, do horse shows, haul campers and actually use them and they love them...but they're also more of a stock vehicle. So for me, I tow a 20' Ranger bay boat (5k lbs) so I went with a gas 2500. My 1500 tows it with just fine mileage, but I wanted more authority, so the 2500 is the ticket and I don't need the extra costs (bought new) of the diesel to tow 5k lbs, although frequently...like several times a week. If you "need" the diesel, you'll love it. If you're getting the diesel just because it's got power and it's cool, then it's an expensive status symbol for normal, pedestrian use, IMO. Though, buying used, you save the depreciation of the initial cost and that's a factor for sure. I've got a big ol' gas truck now (still have the 1500 for now as well) but I really like my "wimpy" gas truck, that'll still tow like a boss.
''

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I too had this dilemma. I chose a gasser based on my towing needs. I purchased new off the lot, 2014 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L gas motor in it. I was out the door <$40,000.00. I now have 20k miles on it and have had 0 issues. Plenty of power to pull my camper and not notice it's behind me. The MDS system shuts off 4 cylinders when they are not needed, so gas mileage has been pretty good. Overall on the truck, with mostly city is around 16. The MDS can be a little frustrating in the city, but you can turn it off pretty easy by putting the truck in 6 instead of D. If you get the Ram, I highly recommend installing Bilstein 5100 shocks to help with the ride, it made a big difference on mine. Good luck in your decision.

rayporter

WKR
basically i would put it this way----if ya gotta ask, get a gaser.

you will KNOW if you need a diesel.

i have 2 cummins and love them. pulled 8000 lbs to colorado from here and back with 14 mpg. usually i pull more than 8000 lbs.
but empty they get 21 mpg.

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
I would go drive both and decide. I have had two dodge cummins (not cummings gents) and will probably never buy a gas truck again if I can help it. I bought my 2006 with a 6-speed manual for 34K, put 120,xxx miles on it and sold it to a guy for 28,500. You will never do that with any gas truck. I will never buy anything Ford with the words diesel after it. the 7.3 and 6.0 both depend on high pressure oil pumps (HPOP) to work injectors, and the high pressure oil pumps are a joke on both. This is the reason they can be a pain to start in cold weather because oil is thick and that HPOP is working hard to fire injectors. They are repairable/rebuild-able, but a real PITA. I have bullet proofed several 6.0's and they are a real pain. Ford sued international over warranty issues with the 6.0, and eventually built there own engine in house in 2011 which they still use after some moderate changes. 2011-2012 6.7 powerstrokes had fuel system problems and turbo problems like crazy and everyone I know was denied warranty by Ford because ford said they had water in their fuel. New fuel sytem costs ~ $11,000. Ford since went to a bosch fuel system's and borgwarner turbo chargers to help eliminate the problems. Just do a quick search of powerstroke problems and decide for yourself.

I have nothing bad to say about the Duramax Allison combo. GM just announced prior to the Texas state fair that the new duramax engine will be the L5P version (LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, and LML have been the previous engine versions), so the possiblity of picking up a used LML or LMM cheap is possible from a private seller who is wanting the new engine platform. The earlier versions 2001-2005 (LB7 and LLY) did have injector problems, but nothing to concerning now.

I have a 2014 3500 single wheel cummins and its been great so far. 59K on the clock so far and trouble free. I deleted and tuned mine. Tuning isn't bad, you just have to educate yourself. The guys who talk about expensive repairs are clueless of what they are doing to a engine when tuning it. They add efi live or an edge programmer to there truck with an 8" lift and 37" tires and are upset the transmission was destroyed and the motor was burnt up. There is no fix for stupidity, but money can help. Programmers gain more power by advancing timing, adding fuel earlier, etc. All of this can burn a motor up due to exhaust gas temps getting to high and melting holes in pistons, popping head gaskets, cracking heads has happened, transmission trouble, etc. Running reputable products and paying attention will save you some trouble. I tow 24-25k behind my truck often and it pulls like a locomotive.

Any of the three diesel's may give you trouble, but if you educate yourself and take care of it you will be pleased. I am into diesel performance and pretty handy under the hood of anything, so this is just my two cents. All three trucks have EGR coolers which are a joke and will cause problems eventually. Excessive idling and not running the truck hard enough cause most of the issues you read about. EGR coolers clog up with soot, which causes coolant to overheat, which causes head gaskets to pop. Regen's on the diesel particulate filter are hard on trucks, but again if you run the truck and don't baby it around you will be fine. I tell folks to run them like you stole them, allow them to idle for a minute or two before shutting them down, longer if you just finished towing (allows turbo's to cool) and changing your oil with good oil and using quality fuel filters will make you love a diesel truck. After all that you are probably thinking no way on the diesel, but it's not a big hassle to own one.

Sorry for the long post

Last edited:

Marshmstr

Lil-Rokslider
Go gas...at least that's what I'm gonna do. I've had the new Cummings and new powerstroke for towing my camper, the Cummings out towed the powerstroke all day.....but in saying this, I just sold my camper so I went back to a 150 and I wish I would have bought a 250 gas .....I like the stiffer suspension etc with a 3/4 ton....so now I'm about to install a add-a-leaf to make do until it's time to purchase new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think when buying a full size truck, gas mileage is not a consideration, if it is i would sell your toy hauler and invest in a great tent and stove, and keep the 1500 getting 16-21mpg,
i currently have a 09 duramax and a 31' toy hauler, for towing anything you cannot beat a diesel.
i had a 2500 gas as well and it pulled great but nothing compared to the duramax.
i like both, i think i would rather sell the toy hauler, buy a 16-20' enclosed trailer and mod it to camp out of or haul whatever and pull it with a 1500
maybe I'm getting older and less materialistic, but other than the shower and the fridge i could care less about a camping trailer, and i can figure both those out with a smaller lighter more versatile enclosed trailer....
just a thought

Logan T

WKR
I'd have another vote for the 6.4 hemi from dodge. I've lived on a ranch since I was born and you just can't beat the cummins when your pulling anything, but we got two 3/4 ton 6.4 hemis in January of 2014 at home and they are sweet. They still aren't a cummins but when your not towing you just can't beat a gas pick up. That said I've pulled several loads of 12,000lbs of seed 100 miles through semi-mountainous areas in the spring and that 6.4 handled the loads just fine. The engine just drank the gas like cool aid. Same with a fully loaded 26 foot trailer of cattle. Maintenance wise they are just so simple. And in the winter they are just so much nicer to have than a diesel.

I'm in a position now where I may be able to take over a big leased place where i live now in 2 years and run a big herd of my own cattle (not at home anymore) and will more than likely get rid of every vehicle we have here currently and replace them with the 6.4 Hemis.

However, as "pro-6.4 hemi" as I am for the jobs I do, my personal truck is a 1 ton cummins, and I will always have one of them-- I just can't go back to gas for "me"!!!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
When I was looking for a new truck 6 years ago I looked long and hard about the $7-$8K upgrade to get the diesel. But I was realistic with myself and my useage. As much as I would like to think I am the big bad guy in the truck commericals towing an excavator around or having a front end loader dump a load of dirt directly into my bed for my uses this simply isn't the case.

The most I tow is 4000-6000 pound enclosed trailer 300-400 miles a month on average. For me that just isn't enough to justify the extra $8K or so of the diesel as that isn't worthy of diesel loads. So I ended up with a 6.0 liter gasser in 2010 when I bought my 2011 Chevy 2500. Only thing I wish I did differently is got a real 8' bed instead of the 6.5'. I can still put my Polaris 6x6 in the bed but the rear tires are squarely on the tailgate. ;) But 48000 miles and 6 years later and only doing oil changes every 5000-7000 miles and its doing just fine. I can honestly say I have never wished I had a diesel.

No doubt many guys out there can justify the need for a diesel but I would have to tow a whole lot more than I do to make up the difference in MPG to pay for itself. As is I likely have atleast another 6-8 years with this truck before I even think about getting a new one so we shall see what the market for trucks looks like then. ;)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
i think when buying a full size truck, gas mileage is not a consideration, if it is i would sell your toy hauler and invest in a great tent and stove, and keep the 1500 getting 16-21mpg,
i currently have a 09 duramax and a 31' toy hauler, for towing anything you cannot beat a diesel.
i had a 2500 gas as well and it pulled great but nothing compared to the duramax.
i like both, i think i would rather sell the toy hauler, buy a 16-20' enclosed trailer and mod it to camp out of or haul whatever and pull it with a 1500
maybe I'm getting older and less materialistic, but other than the shower and the fridge i could care less about a camping trailer, and i can figure both those out with a smaller lighter more versatile enclosed trailer....
just a thought

HAHA...funny you mention that. I bought my 16' enclosed trailer last year after years of towing with an open deck trailer....why did I wait so long? Keeps my toys clean and then when I unload them its VERY plush camping in there compared to what I am used to. I can fit two Polaris 6x6 in there, an inflatable with an outboard motor (not inflated while traveling of course), a small chest freezer and a generator all when I got glamping/hunting based off the highway system. I can't for the life of me see getting a toyhauler. Pretty nice to leave it loaded up ready to go camping/hunting with everything inside so all I gotta to is hitch up and go as well. Its pretty plush in there with heater and a 2000 Watt generator. For $5K for the trailer I am pretty happy with the purchase. ;)

My truck and ghetto camper. ;)

Deerjunky

FNG
I skimmed quickly through the comments so my apologies if I address items already covered

I have run diesel fords for work rather consistently, I drove the 6.0 powerstroke the 6.4 PS and the newest 6.7 to sum them up they have been a nightmare while the bodies and frames seem to hold up well on the older trucks all of them have been in and out of the shop with engine issues. The 6.7 we had was a standard cab with a full walk in tool body and it spun a bearing at 40k and had to undergo a long and frustrating rebuild. The ford 7.3 if you can find one is bullet proof but folks tend to hold onto them.

As for chevy I also ran a 6.6 duramax for four or so years and had little issue. I would highly recommend avoiding any engines that require the DEF exhaust fluid, frankly they are a pain. The Chevy 6.0l gas with the 4.10 rear and four speed automatic is my daily driver and the thing has been pretty bullet proof. I had some transmission issues at 170k but since it was rebuilt with a dedicated transcooler that puppy stays cool. I tow a 6'x12' dump trailer without issue and the truck has 220k on it with one trip from CT to CO and back, likely north of 20 trips to ME plus asorted trips to NH, upstate NY, VT and 40 miles plus to work and back. If you are planning on only towing occasionally I would highly recommend the 6.0 chevy. Change your oil regularly and they shouldn't give you much issue.