2500 Gas or diesel ...

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Oh and just to show I'm not an internet search advice giver we have 6 diesel trucks on the ranch right now with about 830,000 miles combined on them. One 04 chevy and the rest 07-15 Dodges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
I have read only a few of the posts here, but I will share my experience.

I drive like a fuddy duddy, so the diesel trucks fit me well. I get between 45 and 50 with my VW TDI wagon.
I have had diesel rigs since mid 90's. 89 nonturbo 7.3. 2003 6.0 ford. 2008 duramax. The milage dropped the newer the vehicke got. I said F-it. I now have a 95 F350 with 320K, I paid cash. I get about 18MPG driving back and forth to ID to hunt. I am happy with the old rig. I am not interested in
paying 60K for a bunch of frilly BS that I dont need. I would rather save that money to buy a nice car for my wife to drive every day to work.

To the OP:
I looked at gas trucks at about 100K mkles compared to the Diesel rigs with 250+. It was an even value to me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When we came back from overseas in 2005 I started searching nationwide for a 2000-2002 F-350 crew cab, 7.3L PSD, long bed, XLT or Lariat, 4x4, with manual transmission, and manual transfer. My previous was a 2000 auto that I hated. Well, that REALLY narrows the field quickly so with nationwide searches I still didn't have many trucks to look at each day. It took me 3 years before I found one with lower miles that fit the rest of my requirements. A 2001 one-owner truck with 122k miles and I paid $10k. Ya, it sure helped that diesel was $5/gal at the time.:D I probably have about $13k into it now with a couple mods and replacing the up-pipes, and simple maintenance stuff. Truck is still running perfectly, but at this point I could completely replace the engine with new, and still be way ahead of the game cost wise. I'd definitely go the used route and try to find exactly what you want and save a ton of money. Blue book today is still higher than what I paid for it 8 years ago.

In early 2008 an ad popped up for a 2002 matching everything I listed with the Lariat package with 47k miles in VA for $19k. I couldn't get to the phone fast enough. The guy said he had over a dozen calls already and sold it sight unseen to the first guy that called.

mherne

FNG
In the automotive industry for 16 years, live in Colorado. My vote is gas with the right gears. Too many diesels with the exhaust fliud stuff spend a lot of time in the shop.

Will a gas 2500 chevy pull better than your 1500? YES, chevy detunes and gears the 1500 for mpg.

Tundra with the 5.7 6speed auto and 4:10 rear is a beast for towing. Rest of the truck is so so for handling.

Ford with the ecoboost has instant and constant torque. Don't buy the '15 or newer made of aluminum, insurance is high for repair costs.

Dodge, well don't go gas that hemi doesn't like pulling a load unless you have 5:56 rear end ratio. I do business with a major dodge dealership and they won't keep a 2500 with a hemi, sell them at auction.

The f150 has the most towing engineering for a half ton. Even without the ecoboost it will be a great balance for towing and daily driver.
So Im looking for a truck gas mainly that is dependable. Looking into a newer truck. I own a 2007 Chevy new body style and have had nothing but problems with it.
Any suggestions on a good all around reliable truck?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
So Im looking for a truck gas mainly that is dependable. Looking into a newer truck. I own a 2007 Chevy new body style and have had nothing but problems with it.
Any suggestions on a good all around reliable truck?

Tundra. Brother has put 180k on his. Nothing but tires, brakes, fluid changes. Another relative is a master Toyota tech. From his experience with repair cost and frequency when compared to ford, chevy, dodge Toyota will cost a bit more for a similar repair but not as often or likely to need them. He really likes the 2010+ f150. Some models are over engineered with electronics and the twin turbo ecoboost can be a money pit. F150 rides better, nicer cab. Tundra overall lower cost of ownership. Dealing with ford for factory warranty is a nightmare.

mherne

FNG
Tundra. Brother has put 180k on his. Nothing but tires, brakes, fluid changes. Another relative is a master Toyota tech. From his experience with repair cost and frequency when compared to ford, chevy, dodge Toyota will cost a bit more for a similar repair but not as often or likely to need them. He really likes the 2010+ f150. Some models are over engineered with electronics and the twin turbo ecoboost can be a money pit. F150 rides better, nicer cab. Tundra overall lower cost of ownership. Dealing with ford for factory warranty is a nightmare.
Ok I will look into Toyota. I wasn't even really considering Chevy or ford. Dodge and Toyota are what I was looking at. It seems as though dodge has come a long way and they have that life time warranty you can buy through mopar I also know just from general knowledge Toyotas last forever were driving 1999 diesel land cruisers in Kosovo and theyre still going strong