.257 AI for Elk

I have a .257 AI that I have developed a few loads for; some Nosler Partitions, Berger VLDs and Barnes TTSX. I really like the speed and accuracy I get out of 110-120 grain bullets go around 3,300 fsp. This gun shoots so fast and so flat I'm thinking about taking it on my winter Elk hunt instead of my .308 win. Is this too light of a bullet considering the size of Elk. I know shot placement is king and I don't take marginal shots. What would you do?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think I would shoot that light of a bullet on a tough heavy boned animal. People have killed them with less though

Rizzy

WKR
The copper TTSX solves the potential penetration problem :)
I have not had a chance to use my .243 on an Elk yet, but based on how my .270 performed with the TTSX bullets I would not hesitate at all.

boom

WKR
I have a .257 AI that I have developed a few loads for; some Nosler Partitions, Berger VLDs and Barnes TTSX. I really like the speed and accuracy I get out of 110-120 grain bullets go around 3,300 fsp. This gun shoots so fast and so flat I'm thinking about taking it on my winter Elk hunt instead of my .308 win. Is this too light of a bullet considering the size of Elk. I know shot placement is king and I don't take marginal shots. What would you do?

go for it!! i have a 257 wtby. if i ever get the chance i am sending a "lazer bolt" at an elk. Ed Weatherby wrote a lot of stories about the elk he has taken wtih the caliber. do it. i had 120 gr nosler partitions..factory loaded rounds. i tried for an elk, but it didnt work out.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

What is the max distance you plan to shoot with the 257 AI?

OP
manbearpig
The max range depends on how well I can shoot when I'm punching paper. I made a pretty good dope card for Antelope last fall, 600 was easy do-able, I'd like to see if I can push it to 800 before the bullet starts to drop too much. I know I lose a lot of ft*lbs at those ranges too.

WKR
Son shot a big 5x5 with his 25-06 and 115 ballistic tips. Pretty much dropped it right there. Place your shot, skin elk.